• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Lately all I want to listen to is Rush

Snail

Love Rush! It’s great that you have discovered them on a deeper level due to your wife. She’s obviously a good influence on you!

I would love to go through the Rush catalogue one day (one month/year should I say?). Right now I’m doing it with Queen.

It’s amazing to see how great bands with loooong careers evolve. And I’m just as impressed with their ability to get along and like each other after all those decades, what with the stresses of touring, success, and releasing one album after another. Great people and great music.

macrofor

Macro
Gold Supporting Member
A few months back someone posted a video of a very talented guy playing ALL the parts to ALL the songs on Permanant Waves. And he did an amazing job for one guy doing it all. You should check it out.

So I went back to the PW, Hemispheres, moving pics era stuff and it felt like listening to a greatest hits recording. I knew all those songs so well, and some good memories come up too. Great band that never stopped growing and evolving.

ahhlou

Although I listen to many types of music, I did go through a Rush phase when their first album came out. I will let you know when the phase is over...

Baba

Silver Supporting Member
I never go through what the OP said, but Rush is awesome, the end.

Honestly, I don't think you could have gone out any better than they did, (putting out the quality that is Clockwork Angels). I was very surprised at how much I enjoy that album, based off the previous few not being as classic as their earlier work. It's a favorite album of mine, up with Counterparts, and the 1974-1983 catalog.

DrSax

Yeah I think they went out in top form with Clockwork Angels. (Alex STILL should have had longer solos!) but the album is a great finale to an almost unprecedented career.

Want to have fun? Listen to Headlong Flight really loud and marvel at a 60 year old beat the ever lovin' snot out of the drums lol.

Bankston

Love Rush! It’s great that you have discovered them on a deeper level due to your wife. She’s obviously a good influence on you!

I would love to go through the Rush catalogue one day (one month/year should I say?). Right now I’m doing it with Queen.

It’s amazing to see how great bands with loooong careers evolve. And I’m just as impressed with their ability to get along and like each other after all those decades, what with the stresses of touring, success, and releasing one album after another. Great people and great music.
One of the chapters in their story that really spoke to me was when Neil took his sabbatical following the deaths of his daughter and wife. It obviously shattered him and he took 4 years to grieve and figure things out.

The fact Alex and Geddy were patient with him and gave him the space to do that struck me as an incredible act of love and generosity. There are so many bands who would've said, sorry for your loss, but we've got to move on if you're not ready for the next album-tour cycle.

orangekick

Supporting Member
I have a playlist setup with all of their albums in chronological order. That's a fun listen.

Snail

One of the chapters in their story that really spoke to me was when Neil took his sabbatical following the deaths of his daughter and wife. It obviously shattered him and he took 4 years to grieve and figure things out.

The fact Alex and Geddy were patient with him and gave him the space to do that struck me as an incredible act of love and generosity. There are so many bands who would've said, sorry for your loss, but we've got to move on if you're not ready for the next album-tour cycle.
I didn't know that. Amazing story, and you're absolutely right. But it doesn't surprise me -- the three of them have a special connection and moving on and replacing him would have been a bad, bad move!

Rotten

Gold Supporting Member
I grew up a Rush nut. Part of the attraction was seeing how three guys could juggle everything. Where they lost me was when Alex would step up to the microphone and if hear three Geddys. When they did the Time Machine tour, I thought the material from Moving Pictures sounded so much better because the arrangements were less cluttered with overdubs.

billboy73

I love all Rush, but Counterparts & Test For Echo hold special for me.

The former, due to the song Stick It Out. It was the first Rush song I ever found. Plus, that riff has BALLS and a great tone.
The latter, due to Driven & Time and Motion. Driven is another one withe crushing riffs & Time and Motion has some great keyboard stuff going on.

I was actually pretty pissed off that they didn't include anything from Test For Echo on the final tour.
Agreed, I love Test For Echo as well. I would have loved to see at least the title track dusted off for the final tour, or Driven. We got nothing though. It's hard to nitpick though, as the set was pretty incredible.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom