Latency Issue w/ Loops

Discussion in 'Recording/Live Sound' started by stumboid, Mar 24, 2008.

1. stumboid

stumboid Member

My band is having an issue when recording to drum loops. We are using a basic 1/4" to USB interface (M-Box and an M-Audio Jamlab for practice only) and recording to Logic. Our problem is that because the loop is on the computer within logic, latency occurs by the time I can monitor it through the interface.

While recording to the beat, we will not monitor the guitar parts and it all sounds great. but when we listen to the guitar track in conjunction with the loop after recording, the guitar parts sound a little off, late if you will to the beat.

now we are not recording to an external drive which I know we should and that may reduce latency, but I do think it is possible to succesfully make a good recording like this. Are there any suggestions as to how to do this correctly?

Edit: We are using a 2.0 Ghz Intel Core Duo Macbook w/ 1.25 RAM.

2. stumboid

stumboid Member

Ok, after researching, I found out that within Logic, you can adjust the I/O Buffer Size which I guess the lower the number the less latency? Which in turn, the lower the buffer size, the more processing power is used.