1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

Latency issues while recording and monitoring...

Discussion in 'Recording/Live Sound' started by tedjac, Feb 7, 2006.

1. tedjac

tedjac Guest

What is the best way to resolve latency issues while recording directly to my computer? There is also latency while monitoring from the computer. I have an Apple PowerMac Dual 2Ghz G5 using Garage Band and the problem exists when recording thru a Boss GS-10 multi-effects out of the USB port and into the computer. I've got pretty fast storage and a pretty fast computer, but still ahve these issues. It's not huge latency, but enough that playing anything other than lead is impossible. Any ideas or experience solving a problem like this. I don't mind spending some money on some new stuff if I can ELIMINATE this problem.

Thanks

2. tonefreak

tonefreak Member

I use two Mackie 1202 VLZ Pros... one for monitoring and the other as a patchbay. The 'patchbay' also occupies a channel in the 'monitor' mixer, as well as feed an instrument audio (like guitar) into my Mbox. This means I hear my guitar direct before it hits the Mbox and into the computer... no latency!

When I track my guitar against a playback, that audio is going directly to the 'monitor' mixer, so I end up tracking against the latent playback, but it's no big deal because my guitar is directly into the monitor mixer as well. With the guitar track turned all the way down in ProTools, I only hear the direct guitar into the monitor tracking against a latent play back. But since I'm playing in time with the latent playback, it tracks and sounds like there is no latency at all.

3. tedjac

tedjac Guest

Thanks Tonefreak...

I guess I could do that... but is there a less roundabout way? Two mixers seems a bit extreme... and I have limited space. The way you route things makes total sense... so if there in no easier way, I will try it.

Anyone else solve this issue another way??

4. gtrnstuff

gtrnstuff Member

Some interfaces, such as MOTU 828 MKII, have the parallel monitor path built-in, called Cue Mix DSP. The newest version of Pro Tools LE has a "low latency monitoring" capability in a sub menu that achieves the same thing.
    You could use one mixer, bring your guitar up on one one channel while using an aux send from that channel to the computer interface, and monitor the outputs of the computer on two other channels. Just watch for feedback loops. Make sure the only channel sending signal down the aux output to the computer interface input is the one(s) your live guitar is using.

5. Orren

Orren Member

First of all, if you haven't already, you can reduce latency in GarageBand itself. In the GarageBand menu, select Preferences (or press COMMAND + , on the keyboard). In the Audio preferences, select lower latency (higher CPU). If the higher latency, lower CPU use had been selected previously, you will notice a reduction in latency.

If you find the latency is still too much after reducing it in GarageBand, read the manual of your BOSS GS-10 to see if there is a "direct monitoring" option. In other words, you want to send your audio to BOTH the hardware outputs of the BOSS GS-10 and the USB. Then you send the USB signal to GarageBand and you DO NOT listen to it; you instead listen to the sound coming from your BOSS. This means you'll need to be able to plug both your G5 and your BOSS into your speaker monitors, probably requiring a small mixer. But this will eliminate latency.

HTH,
    Orren

6. Effect of Sound

Effect of Sound Member

Record dry. Add effects later if you can.