Latency PT II ..... very interesting .....

eclecto-acoustic

Serial tree-hugger
I really do wonder if this is a result of the Boss units using a 96kHz sample rate (among whatever other DSP wizardry is involved), and what the sample rates of other devices are.

fancysalmon

I really do wonder if this is a result of the Boss units using a 96kHz sample rate

Nah, you can get very low roundtrip latencies with 44.1 (ad/da itself is virtually negligible). It's just down to the algorithms they're using and they've clearly made a point to get the latency as low as possible.

KingsXJJ

True Confession: After I watch these videos, I start pretending I can speak Italian...

OK'a, its'a time to only make'a comments just'a like Layo.

I just can't help it.

EDIT: In your face Fractal! Leo Rocks.
He’s a measuring the laatency. Very interestink.

F3E18DB7-BF5E-4A5E-A29D-F1905758B40B.jpeg

phil_m

Trying is the first step towards failure.
Gold Supporting Member
Nah, you can get very low roundtrip latencies with 44.1 (ad/da itself is virtually negligible). It's just down to the algorithms they're using and they've clearly made a point to get the latency as low as possible.
I believe Boss’ lower latencies are directly related to their use of higher sampling rates for their converters (there’s really no other reason to do it).

Orvillain

I believe Boss’ lower latencies are directly related to their use of higher sampling rates for their converters (there’s really no other reason to do it).

Higher sample rates mean less aliasing artifacts.

Not that you'd know it with the Boss - thing sounds like crap.

phil_m

Trying is the first step towards failure.
Gold Supporting Member
Higher sample rates mean less aliasing artifacts.

Not that you'd know it with the Boss - thing sounds like crap.
Internally, yes, of course. Everyone (well everyone that knows what they’re doing) oversamples in the internal signal chain at various points, but you shouldn’t really have any issues with aliasing with a signal at the input at 48kHz. Aliasing happens as a result of processing within the unit, it’s not because of the signal at the input (perhaps it could be more likely if you had a highly saturated coming in - not sure).

Orvillain

Internally, yes, of course. Everyone (well everyone that knows what they’re doing) oversamples in the internal signal chain at various points, but you shouldn’t really have any issues with aliasing with a signal at the input at 48kHz. Aliasing happens as a result of processing within the unit, it’s not because of the signal at the input (perhaps it could be more likely if you had a highly saturated coming in - not sure).
You can get aliasing within an ADC circuit. That's why they employ specific lowpass filters to handle high frequency wrap around. If you run the circuit at a higher sample-rate, you can be a bit more gentle with your lowpass circuits; which may or may not aid in retaining high frequency content from the original signal.

ADC design is really complex. The numbers don't tell you everything.

timbuck2

interesting...for sure....boss has always been low latency in stuff i have owned but the inteface....meh

Top Bottom