Latency test of 23 amp modelers

Bach1970

Gold Supporting Member
Did anyone mention what is a compound latency of the Guitar Rig Output-> Dsp Mixer board -> Active PA dsp speakers ?
Lets Say - Iridium-> QSC Touchmix -> Yamaha Dxr ?

12TameMen

Ronnie: How's the latency Mick?
Mick: What's latency?

xxx_super_020506_rl048_10228609-16_9.jpg

Last edited:

Jay Mitchell

The best wireless devices today are ~2ms
I, umm, didn't buy one of those. :rolleyes: It was made by a company that is named in this very thread, but it's not their top of the line. Nonetheless, it's possible that a ca. 2ms added latency in my rig was enough to bother me. Given that I have no interest in a wireless system other than to facilitate sound check, I never pursued the matter further.

John Mark Painter

Gold Supporting Member
The specific values aren't the point. The point is that musicians in large venues are able to easily —perhaps subconsiously—compensate for playback systems that are far away. Most touring bands use IEMs these days, but not all of 'em do.

I didn't say anyone's watching the drummer all the time. But massive festival stages come with their own delay issues, and again, there are methods by which professional touring acts compensate. Bandmates glancing at each other, especially on big hits, is one of them.

You're assuming every other situation doesn't also have multisource interference. Whether you're playing a tuba, a guitar, a drum kit, or your vocal cords, your monitoring can mess with your head—and if egregious enough, your timing—if throughput latency is too high. I suppose if studio monitors, FRFR speakers, or a power amp+cab is loud enough to never hear or feel your strings in the room, maybe. But the notion that physical distance in space (where you can SEE and easily compensate for that distance) and latency through a digital system (which is wholly unnatural and sometimes unpredictable) applies the same sort of impact to one's playing is disingenuous. Musicians have been compensating for distance through the air for thousands of years; DAW latency (or latency through digital hardware) is a relatively new problem, and can be very jarring if you're not used to it.
I always see the drummer out of the corner of my vision. Especially when playing Bass

I’ve done sessions on Bass with headphones where the latency was bad. First few bars were in time and then I started compensating.

I’m fine with UA Console and a plugin or two but then the disconnect started to bug me

KingsXJJ

I’d bet that the lowly NUX Amp Academy smokes the AxeFx3 with regard to latency. Plain JCM800 to JCM800. Both are fine units in a blind test though.

12TameMen

What’s the latency of a guitar plugged straight into a tube amp and standing 5 feet away?

What's the impedance and size of the speaker? I keed.

At 72 degrees/f, sound travels 1,130 f/s.
At 45 it's 1,100.
At 90 it's 1,150.
How's your weather?

And why aren't you including an AX3 in the question?

sorry, couldn't resist

Last edited:

fretworn

What's the impedance and size of the speaker? I keed.

At 72 degrees/f, sound travels 1,130 f/s.
At 45 it's 1,100.
At 90 it's 1,150.
How's your weather?

And why aren't you including an AX3 in the question?

sorry, couldn't resist
Are you actually going to answer his question, or you don’t know?

Trending Topics

Top Bottom