latency with pc/tracktion 2

Discussion in 'Recording/Live Sound' started by GeorgeSunset, Jan 23, 2008.

1. GeorgeSunset

GeorgeSunset Member

Hey

I have a real problem with latency on my pc.

here is what I use:
    Notebook Dell Inspiron 1300
    -locked on 1.67 GHz
    -2 GB Ram
    Sound card (USB device) – Mackie XD-2
    Program – Tracktion 2

I installed all my recording things on a windows without any other software or internet connection – ergo I got no antivirus or other software on that XP that sucks power.

Still I have latency of about 29 miliseconds (measured it with tracktion) – that’s so much that you can hear it very clearly if you use the program’s play-through mode.
    Normal recording is no problem (tracktion compensates for the latency)

Now, I have a ton of plugins and I can’t really use them because of the latency. My playing chances with different sounds and the latency is VERY annoying (practically impossible)

Is there any of you with an idea what I can do? – New super-smart hardware/software isn’t a option ;-)

[FONT=&quot]Thanks[/FONT]

2. livedead13

livedead13 Member

http://www.mackie.com/spike_update/index.html

go there and download the latest driver. install it. then select the ASIO driver in the Audio Device section of Tracktions preferences.

the ASIO driver should give you inaudible latency. if not, your cpu is too slow.

3. GeorgeSunset

GeorgeSunset Member

I use the alpha driver – tried with the newest ASIO driver, too. (using the complete alpha driver set from mackie + the newest asio from asio4all.com)