• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

Latest AC/DC Album Rock or Bust

Teleking

Silver Supporting Member
I signed up for the Apple Music thing today. First record I listened to was this album. I'm a fan of the band, but didn't buy this record. Gave it a spin and damn this is a great record! I was really surprised by how good it was considering Mal didn't have much to do with it. I will now buy it because I really do respect the crap out of AC/DC. Certainly nothing I would consider "brilliant," but it's really hard to continue to write good songs when it's the exact same thing over and over and over. I was really surprised how good this record is.

I am surprised I didn't read more about how great it was. I think it's one of the best they've done in a very long time. It's not a heavy record, but I think Brian really did a great job on the melodies, and Angus really picked up the slack from the loss of Mal.

TheGuildedAge

I thought it was really good too.

I miss Malcolm, not so much for the playing, which Stevie has done fine with, just losing such an iconic player.

aynirar27

Preferred Senior Member
Platinum Supporting Member
I was equally surprised, it's a great rockin album. I was so worried they would end up being a band that put out one too many albums, but this album is nothing to scoff at.

Eskimo_Joe

Rocker, roller, way out of controller
Silver Supporting Member
Yep, badass record! Best since Back in Black in my opinion.

dez

Superb record. Wish some of the songs were longer, but that's a good sign I guess.

micycle

Heck yeah. The whole record rules. I haven't really heard anything of theirs since Razor's Edge (which is still "new" AC/DC to me) but after hearing great things about it around its release I checked it out. It quickly became a staple!

sanrico

I was equally surprised, it's a great rockin album. I was so worried they would end up being a band that put out one too many albums, but this album is nothing to scoff at.
If I remember correctly, I bought it on your recommendation. I liked it… Didn't love it… But I'm certainly glad they're still making music

B Money

"Emission Control" swings hard. There are plenty of great songs on Rock or Bust. I agree it sucks that Mal isn't with them anymore, but Stevie does a nice job of copping Mal's tone and vibe.

I thought the previous album "Black Ice" was also good, but this one is even better.

Teleking

Silver Supporting Member
I hate that the lyrics have gotten so awful. Went from Hell's Bells to just women and beer and pickup trucks.
Ha! If you're listening to AC/DC for lyrical content, you'll be disappointed throughout their albums. I just listen to the melody and the attitude. The lyrics are, and always have been, mediocre at best. They're not quite Sammy Hagar level of awfulness, but they're pretty close.

chillybilly

I am surprised I didn't read more about how great it was. I think it's one of the best they've done in a very long time. It's not a heavy record, but I think Brian really did a great job on the melodies, and Angus really picked up the slack from the loss of Mal.
I haven't looked at the credits yet but wasn't there a lot of talk from close watchers of the band, possibly from insiders, that the Young brothers had frozen Johnson out of the songwriting process and that such a move may have occurred even prior to Black Ice?

EDIT: the Allmusic.com credits list only Angus and Mal as composers. Not trying to be pedantic I'm just a big fan of the band and fascinated by the decisions and drama given the stakes.

At least Phil Rudd played on the album even if he's got his own problems now and can't tour.

Last edited:

Kentano2000

Gold Supporting Member
All their albums have just been released on Spotify as well. This all happened very quietly. Guess they finally gave in to "the man?" Anyhow, I'll have to check out Rock or Bust; heard a lot of great things about it, including this thread.

Lotis

Gold Supporting Member
One of the last straight up rock and roll bands still rolling strong. I love the record. Gets my motor running. Sometimes dumbass lyrics are just what is required.

fenderlead

Hell's Bells and Back In Black have a specific lyric subject, and that is that they are a tribute to Bon Scott.

Most of the other stuff since Brian joined is about Rock, Sex, wanting to Rock, How great Rock is etc.

Bon had some great lyrics often laced with Bon's double entendre's.

The AC/DC "Hell" lyric idea might have come from Angus/Mal's brother George who used it on Flash and the Pan's "Hey St Peter" in 1976 and then it started popping up in AC/DC songs after that like "Hell Ain't a Bad Place to Be" and Angus used it for "Highway To Hell" etc.

George Young does a brother Angus impersonation in the video during the instrumental break starting at around 2:10 btw.

Last edited:

ClassicLP

Heck yeah. The whole record rules. I haven't really heard anything of theirs since Razor's Edge (which is still "new" AC/DC to me) but after hearing great things about it around its release I checked it out. It quickly became a staple!
Are Ron Wood and Adrian Smith the "new" guys in the Stones and Maiden?

micycle

Are Ron Wood and Adrian Smith the "new" guys in the Stones and Maiden?
Haha!! Yeah I kind of jumped off the train of the more major bands/artists around that time and never really got back on. I also still consider Metallica's black album to be their new one. Probably for the better in most cases...

Trending Topics