Latest cab project...antique pine 4x12

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Scumback Speakers, Feb 20, 2008.

1. Scumback Speakers

Scumback Speakers Gold Supporting Member

My latest cab project is finished. I had Bob Burt build me a 4x12 antique pine straight cab. I got some cloth from 89custom which he found, sent to me, then I painted it with white fabric paint. I put good old Marshall black levant tolex and gold piping on it.

End result, an old looking cab with four Scumnicos in it...weight of 83 lbs loaded. I just need to put the casters in it and I'm done.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. guitarsnguns04

guitarsnguns04 Member

looks nice..that tolex is tight. How do you get it that good?

3. StoneAge Cabs

StoneAge Cabs Silver Supporting Member

looks good, Jim....tone report...???...:D

4. voojo

voojo Gold Supporting Member

Did you get a good deal on the speakers? :p

Looks awesome! I think I have some Scumback Speakers in my future to pair with my Mighty Plex!

5. Scumback Speakers

Lots of practice. Lots of mistakes, too. :jo Good prep helps, plus I cut the tolex to within 1/4" of actual size before I glue it down, makes it a lot easier to handle if you cut it straight. An L square IS your friend on this type of cab.

It's pretty much making my big toe shoot right through my boot, John.

I asked that rat bastid that owns the company to cut me a deal. He said I don't play out enough, don't have a recording deal, and frankly have far too much fine gear for my limited abilities, so I had to pay retail. Sheesh. I even know him. :crazy

6. dorianadams

dorianadams Member

That looks outstanding. Reminds me of the Marshall offset JTM45 cab. I love the grill cloth.

7. Scumback Speakers

Thanks for the compliments. Actually, the original white cloth of the offset head & cabs was the inspiration. I can't take much credit, though. Another guy I know on another forum (89custom) had the cloth and the white fabric paint idea first, so I asked him how much, how fast and how could I do it! LOL He was pretty accommodating, sold me two yards of cloth, told me what fabric paint to get, then sent me instructions on how to do it. It was (still is) messy on the work table, but the results were pretty good. It's pretty close to the original white cloth Marshall used.

I've got one more yard of the cloth (still needs to be painted), so I need to find a suitable slant cab to recreate the look one more time.

8. FFTT

FFTT Member

Everything looks great except for the 83 lbs part :)

9. Scumback Speakers

Maybe, but you'll add another 10-14 lbs for baltic birch (Marshall, etc) 4x12's.

Does that sound better to your back? :cool: