Latest Marshall Re-issues

scottcityman

Platinum Supporting Member
The 1962hw model I hear on YouTube vids sounds fantastic to me. I read old threads where people are really bashing the Marshall reissues… Are these newer models with closer to original parts/build (the drake transformers for instance) better than earlier re-issues

Last edited:

truckin

Silver Supporting Member
I had one. They are LOUD and HEAVY but sound GREAT. I've also found that this amp in particular doesn't play well with attenuators - it needs a cranked speaker to sound good. There's no MV so keep this in mind. I don't think the transformers are anything to complain about.

scottcityman

I guess my question is:
I've noticed how re-issues have really improved with various companies- Martin-Gibson-Fender..
They had to really improve their game quality-wise to keep up with all the boutique builders out there…
The early reissues from these companies were completely marketing in my opinion, but now a lot of the stuff is really high-quality.
Does the current 1962 Bluesbreaker HW fit that description?… Or are the boutique guys still way ahead?

Stormin

Tele's and Plexis
The 1962hw model I hear on YouTube vids sounds fantastic to me. I read old threads where people are really bashing the Marshall reissues… Are these newer models with the drake transformers etc. better?
I can't speak about the HW reissues but I am pretty familiar with the PCB reissues.

AFAIK, the Drake transformers were used in the earlier reissues and the Dagnalls are used in the more recent ones. At least this is what I have in my 3 reissues. My '98 BBRI has Drakes and my '01 and '03 JTM45RIs have Dagnalls. I would "assume" that the HW amps use Dagnalls but I can't confirm that.

Me personally, I'm VERY happy with my older reissues. Considering that they all cost me $1150-$1250 each on the used market, there's no way I could justify spending another $1000 for an HW. That's just me tho - I am NOT chasing vintage accurate Beano tones.

scottcityman

I can't speak about the HW reissues but I am pretty familiar with the PCB reissues.

AFAIK, the Drake transformers were used in the earlier reissues and the Dagnalls are used in the more recent ones. At least this is what I have in my 3 reissues. My '98 BBRI has Drakes and my '01 and '03 JTM45RIs have Dagnalls. I would "assume" that the HW amps use Dagnalls but I can't confirm that.
Wow...all these companies make it so difficult to follow what they're doing.

Stormin

Tele's and Plexis
I was going to add that I've also previously owned a Germino Club 40. If I was going to spend the kind of cash they're asking for an HW, I would 100% buy another Germino. Greg is one hell of a guy and builds an incredible amp. His stuff is as good as it gets. For me, it would really boil down to what was available at that moment on the used market.

goddot

The reissues are fantastic.. dont hesitate to buy one! There is a lot of mythology out there- best to play for yourself and see for yourself. We have this stuff over in the Harley Davidson forums- some that recommend any bike out there but a harley when someone asks... however they all eventually realize there is no replacing the real thing with a yamaha e.g.... and they come back, nothing sounds or feels like it. esp the carbed evos!

goddot

Dagnalls were always used for the 100 watt heads... drakes were only used for the 50's. I could play a drake and a dagnall side by side to you blindfolded and you would not know which was which... the power of marketing and psychology.

Stormin

Tele's and Plexis
Dagnalls were always used for the 100 watt heads... drakes were only used for the 50's. I could play a drake and a dagnall side by side to you blindfolded and you would not know which was which... the power of marketing and psychology.
I hear ya, but my BBRI and JTM45s are all 30 watters and I have Drakes and Dagnalls. I always assumed it was just a supplier change.

goddot

I think at some point drake stopped making transformers and they went full on dagnall... not sure if drake is still in business or making these type transformers anymore.. I used to know the story but its largely forgotten now with time.

Stormin

Tele's and Plexis
I think at some point drake stopped making transformers and they went full on dagnall... not sure if drake is still in business or making these type transformers anymore.. I used to know the story but its largely forgotten now with time.
No worries, I was always curious myself.

Stormin

Tele's and Plexis
Btw...why so flippin heavy. 70lbs for a 30 watt amp? Is that right..(1962hw)
It's a BIG (oversized) 212 combo with heavy iron. The newer ones are 10.5" deep IIRC. It's not so much that the 1962 is big, but it's bulky. A Twin Reverb, for example, is much more compact.

Custom50

I think the problem a lot of people had with their reissues was that they weren't totally faithful to the original circuits. Which, fair enough, that was true for a while as I understand. I think their reissues have always been good amps though.

Kind of like the original Fender baseman 59RI vs. The 59 LTD RI.

Trending Topics