Latest old stock tube score....

Discussion in 'Amps/Cabs Tech Corner: Amplifier, Cab & Speakers' started by rockon1, Mar 9, 2006.

1. rockon1

rockon1 Member

What do you guys think? The top row is 7 long plate GE's with 62-28 date on them,right below it are 8 RCA's with funny getters and 60- 26 date on them.Below that a shorter plate GE. Of special interest (maybe) are the two on the far left. The farthest is a 12AT7. Most of the writing is worn off but it says great britian on it. The one next to it is a 12AX7 and says England on it.Picked the whole lot up for 46$.[​IMG]

2. michael30

michael30 Gold Supporting Member

Good deal! Organ tubes are usually specially selected for low noise, so these are probably better than ordinary GE's and RCA's

Michael

3. Timbre Wolf

Timbre Wolf GoldMember Supporter Gold Supporting Member

I really like those long gray-plate RCAs - they've got some real fine clarity, just like their older black-plate siblings, but they don't break up as easily, so they chime a bit more. They're a bit less magically responsive than the black-plates, too, but not to the degree that most gray-plate 12AX7s are. Very nice.

I have not had the opportunity to try the long-plate GEs, but I hear their much appreciated. Great deal!!

- T

4. rockon1

rockon1 Member

Holy Cr#p your not kidding! Just put the RCA's in my JSX in all 4 positions and WOW it is amazing. Even at full bore gain its still got more definition,clarity then its ever had and smooth as all hell! Killer grind too. Not a hint of fizzyness either. Im really digging these.I guess because of the long plate design I had to swap one of my"RCA" short plates into the V-1 but its still amazing.This amp has never sounded better! Im still looking for some black plates but not sure why Im bothering. These things sound great! On a side note I have a telefunken ribbed plate and a couple of short plate Mullards that just dont compare to these. They sound TOO mellow-no bite or something. maybe I got bad ones but they test good....

5. Timbre Wolf

I'm glad someone else noticed the short-plate Mullards don't measure up to some of our less exotic American tubes. I grit my teeth when I see "helpful" advice to try out Mullard 12AX7s, and everyone seems to nod their sleepwalking heads in agreement. Here's the deal: long-plate Mullard 12AX7s are worth getting worked up about, but the later short-plate versions... not so much. I hope some other readers can avoid disappointment by reading this post before dropping the big bucks. Telefunken smooth plates are like this (bland and unexciting) for me too, but I've not tried the rib-plate version - sounds like I'm not missing much.

As for black-plate 12AX7s, well, some are very good, and others are excellent. But you've got supreme tubes already, and you're loving what you've got - you could quit now, if your curiosity allows it! :AOK

Cheers!

- T

6. tedjac

tedjac Guest

I agree about the short plate Mullards...

I just put a RCA long grayplate 7025 into my amp replacing a Mullard long plate and the RCA definitely has more clarity. I still like the Telefunken smooth plate in V2 of this Fuchs because it helps it sound more mid-range strong in OD... more Dumblish, so to speak. Good combo.

Ted

7. brad347

brad347 Member

hmm. I like the short plate mullards in my deluxe. I have long plate RCAs too but prefer the short mullards.

Probably depends on the amp. Maybe I'll try and get a used long-plate Mullard from somewhere to try.

8. Timbre Wolf

And personal taste, too. Nobody's got the secret "correct" answer here - we each are the only ones who know what we like best.

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

- T

9. slider313

slider313 Silver Supporting Member

Just returned from an estate sale with these:[​IMG]

10. brad347

brad347 Member

11. Wakarusa

Wakarusa Member

Heh... whatcha' want for those 7408's? :rolleyes:

12. slider313

Todd,I think I'll keep this batch,especially the 7408's.I may part with a couple of pairs of the 7189's,but the find is too fresh.The owner is searching for more tubes,so I'm hoping to get a call later today. Mike

13. Wakarusa

Wakarusa Member

No worries :)

Try the 7408 in a 5E3 circuit if you get the chance. Pure creamy goodness.

14. rockon1

rockon1 Member

As long as you piggybacked onto my thread please tell me what the 7408 and 7189's are used for! :> )

15. slider313

Sorry, I didn't mean to jump your thread but I scored some NOS stuff and the opening was your title. The 7408 is an industrial # for a 6V6GT. The 7189 is, if I'm not mistaken, an industrial 6BQ5 type tube.

16. Wakarusa

Wakarusa Member

Of course (and apologies for swiping your thread :()

The 7408 and 7189/7189A are high quality (and/or audio grade) versions of the 6V6GT and 6BQ5 respectively. 6BQ5 are also known as EL84.

17. Wakarusa

Wakarusa Member

The last two posts with the same time stamp would have been much funnier if they didn't agree :)

18. rockon1

rockon1 Member

No problem. Now Im jealous though! Nice score!:AOK

19. Jammin'John

Jammin'John Member

Mine say Conn but they look like yours......conn,kahn !

JJ :D

20. slider313

Thanks. Just keep looking,you never know who has a stash.Most of the time it's TV or radio tubes,but once in a while you get lucky and it's someone who was into tube hi fi. A friend scored a batch of 6V6's from an old firehouse years ago.They were used in the truck communication radios!!!