Latest Stratocaster Project

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by clothwiring, Jun 21, 2006.

1. clothwiring

clothwiring Supporting Member

Well, I want a gold metalflake Strat to sorta match my gold tele. So I've been quietly hunting and have found one that's being painted right now. Here's a little picture talk through of the project..

I have Green (my gold tele I've posted many-a-time before):

[​IMG]

I had this '65 Relic Part-o-caster (guitar on the right in picture below):

[​IMG]

Not 100% happy with the guitar I figured it's a parts guitar so I might as well experiment. So I've ordered this body, it'll take a bit to get here as it just got painted with Nitro.

[​IMG]

I have Dimarzio Area 58s and 61s on their way. It'll take a few months to finish since I'll be waiting for the body, but it'll be great to have two gold metalflake guitars. One goal is to have a great sounding strat that also looks cool and is (sorta) unique. The other goal is to get another noiseless Stratocaster in my arsenel since I sold my Deluxe Strat with Kinman's that I had. I just keep finding that the nitro finished guitars I have sound better and am getting rid of my poly ones. Can't wait to finish her up and wanted to share with y'all.

2. teddy boy

teddy boy Member

Looking good man!! Post it once you get it together!!

3. Mike Duncan

Mike Duncan Member

You can't go wrong with that!
    [​IMG]

4. clothwiring

For sure I'll post it, it'll be great to have matching guitars both with noiseless pickups. The Tele has Kinman AVN 60s. The Tele is already getting reliced naturally since it got the snot played out of it last summer. The Strat parts are reliced so the body will just have to catch up by being played to death. :)

5. Mike Duncan

Mike Duncan Member

Who are you gettin the body and parts from?

6. clothwiring

I got the pickups on Ebay. And the body from Greg Roger's Guitars. The rest of the guitar I have and I bought the guitar on Ebay awhile back. It's my project guitar that I have fun with, this will probably end the "projectness" of it though. :)

7. jowille

jowille Member

Looks like a couple of Dicks to me!

8. clothwiring

9. scottlr

scottlr Member

Nice! What color is the guard on the Strat? How's she play/sound? IS it all you hoped for? It sure looks like it visually!

I LOVE that Tele!

10. clothwiring

It is all I hoped for. I have barely put it down in the last 5 or 6 weeks. I have to change the strings before Friday's gig. :) I think it's a white guard that was tinted with nitro.

That Tele is my if all else fails/go to guitar. My only complaint is that the neck is a bit thin, outside of that the thing sounds great. I take it if I don't feel like taking a 2nd guitar to a gig...it gives me all the tones I need, I'm a simple man. If I had to keep only 3 guitars, it'd be those two and my Alvarez-Yairi DY-53.

11. esoteric pete

esoteric pete Supporting Member

yeah man, tell me about those area58/61's...im curious about them but havent had good luck w/ dimarzio in the past...

i posted a thread about mine, but heres the strat i just finished:

[​IMG]

12. clothwiring

I've really been enjoying the Area pickups. They're all that you would want in a Strat pickup (IMO) and noiseless. They're not a bad estimation of a vintage strat pickup. I like them alot better than the Kinman MK-IIs that I had in another guitar. They're less compressed...that's the only word I can think. The Areas are more responsive and handle cleaner tones much better. This is the first DiMarzio set that I've owned...I took a shot in the dark and have been really surprised.

13. scottlr

scottlr Member

I have 4 Strats, and I like each one to be a little different. Two have Hot 50s I think, one has some 70s vintage Dimarzios, and sounds fantastic! An SD-1 in the bridge and HS1 (I think) in the middle and neck. With the tone control wired to the neck pup! WOW!
    I am not really sure what is in the other one yet. It is an 84 Fullerton made 62 RI, but when I got it, someone had changed the guard to a black 3 ply with black plastic parts, which I like, except they didn't get a 62 RI guard, so they left off one screw. Someday I'll remedy that. In a little while, I plan to replace the neck pup on it with a Duncan Twang Banger and do the tone control to bridge thing. Then I'll find out just what is really under the hood. I always assumed that they were the stock pups, but I am not at all sure.

What, other than noiseless, do the Area pups have to offer?

14. clothwiring

Check out DiMarzio's site for all the specs. I really enjoy them...that's all I can really say.