Launch Pad/Amp Cooking newbie

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Dendog, Sep 22, 2006.

1. Dendog

Dendog Member

I just got a Barber Launch Pad, literally, an hour ago.

The signal flow is Hamer 2HB guitar > TU-2 > Barber Small Fry > Maxon AD900 > Barber Launch Pad > JTM45.

On the LP, Vol+ is up full, and sensitivity is about 9oclock. (setting derived from Barber's amp cooking instructions, just under breakup point with the Marshall amp vol set for zero distortion).

With only the LP engaged there's a slight boost, and an added shimmer, or gloss, overall. It's nice.

With only the SF (running on 18v) engaged there's all the great tones many of us have been reporting for months.

Adding the LP when the SF is already on seems to just boost the level a little. I can't say there's any tonal improvement.

Does this experience sound about right to everyone?
    Is the JTM45 not a good choice for the LP? Perhaps it's more suited to Fender amps?

This is my second Barber pedal. I was and continue to be completely floored by the SF. But my initial reaction to the LP is kind of blah. Is there something I'm missing?

As always, all input is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

2. walpow

walpow Guest

I'm doing the amp cooking thing with a Launch Pad and a Traynor YCV20WR. It really makes the amp sound better. Richer, chimier, everythingier. That said, I imagine you could do the same thing with any clean boost - something I'll find out if I ever get around to finishing the Orman MOSFET boost I started building.

But - as I think you're finding - the LP's effect is much more significant with no dirt pedal engaged. When my MI Audio Blue Boy Deluxe activated, I can click the LP off and get the same tone by boosting the volume on the BBD a little.

One thing worth checking: have you tried setting the sensitivity higher? I'm running it from noon to about 2:00. I realize the proper setting varies by amp, but I'm definitely higher than where I'd be with David's instructions, which would have been 10 or 11 o'clock. I'm also finding the sensitivity setting comes out the same with singles, P-90s, and humbuckers.

Nathan

3. theHoss

theHoss Member

I would like to hear more about this concept. I have read the thread on the BarberShop forum and it sounds really interesting. I was thinking about doing it, and leaving the LP on all the time. I was going to take it off the board and put it right on top of the amp and leave it on. I was curious if anyone had input on this. If you are using the LP for input gain staging, does it limit the volume output and reduce the effect of your boosts etc......

I would love to hear more about his subect.

Thanks!

4. riff2

riff2 Member

frist post,say hi to everybody.
    a few weeks ago,there is some thread about clean boost.
    there is a post said only Barber Launch Pad & carl martin a 2 in 1 pedal boost side
    would not color your sound---he is the man.
    at that time,I just put a SD vintage rails on my guitar,nice tone,but compare to my
    old pickup,a little low output,so use a cheap boost---rocktron austin gold to boost
    a litte bit----great result,but seems austin not work well with my humburker.
    so I need a Barber Launch Pad .
    after try the LP,I completely agree it not colour anything,but clean boost.
    opened the box,saw 2 chips,made some research on web,I had to said what a simple(maybe not)
    and smart design.
    but on the other hand,not color your sound,can be good or not.
    I ended up in keep the austin to boost the pickup,and LP as his partner.
    use the austin to color the sound a little,find the sweet pont,because the lp,I dont need to worry the leval affet the tone and use the lp to give what level I want.
    think about when you find a sweet pot in your overdrive,but not enough volume.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    coming back to the topic,what I want to say is LP would not color your sound,the color
    depends on before the LP----go figure out.
    Barber Launch Pad shine on a lot of things,check the manual.It's a great swissarmy knife.
    after try the LP,I really want to try the LTD sliver,but as sb. said,too many low gain
    choice,I am confuse.

5. Gary Brennan

Gary Brennan Old cavorting member Gold Supporting Member

Question for those using the LP to amp cook- is the "breakup" point referred to the breakup of the LP, or of the amp?

gb

6. walpow

walpow Guest

The amp. I've never gotten the Launch Pad to break up.

7. Padsy9

Padsy9 Member

I do just that- the LP sits on top of my amp and it's always on. It should not limit the output of other effects per se, but it will affect when your tubes start clipping, potentially reducing the volume boost you may get at your current settings. Using it to really maximize your cleans naturally brings your preamp tubes closer to their breakup point so it changes the way your gain and boost pedals interact with your amp a bit. For my set up, the effect the Launch Pad had on my clean and dirty tones was really dramatic and really positive.

8. theHoss

theHoss Member

Thanks so much for that feedback. I appreciate the time you took to answer me. I am going to try this in the future, I will report back when it is dialed in.

Thanks!

9. Daren

Daren Member

bump

theHoss, did you try it?

anyone else doing this?

10. theHoss

theHoss Member

Thanks for checking back. No, I have not tried it yet. I am still a bit confused. Does the LP act somewhat like a Master Volume. Basically, I can turn my amp up to the sweet spot and then bring the guitar volume up via the LP? According to the instructions you need to bring your amp to the point right before breakup for the this to work. That is pretty darn loud for my amp if the LP isn't going to limit the signal. Does anyone know if this is the way the LP is going to work?

11. jlagrassa

jlagrassa Supporting Member

I've tried the Launch Pad as an amp cooker and did find it to work as suggested, my tone took on a nice fullness to it but thats not how I use the LP. I use it strictly as a clean solo boost I love that pedal for that use plenty of volume with no coloration.

At some point Dave Barber is suppose to be coming out with a smaller version Launch pad which could be used as a dedicated amp cooker!

12. 56_Special

56_Special Member

I tried it and I thought I maybe noticed a difference, but of course, it makes it louder. Everything sounds better louder. So I recorded some clips, normalized them, and couldn't hear any real difference. Maybe not exactly the same, but no dramatic difference. I should note that I tried it with a SF Princeton and a BYOC Tri-Boost. I love the clean boost into an already overdriven amp, however.

Martin

13. theHoss

theHoss Member

I am reporting back. I bought a Launch Pad from a fellow TGPer and it works great. Here is how I am using it.

G&L Classic Custom >> Pedal Board (Wah, Lovepedal Buffer, Vibe, Burn Unit, Analog Delay) >> LP >>Fargen Black Bird 20 watt

I put the LP on top of my amp and leave it on all the time. I do as the instructions suggested. Here is how I set it.

I set the overall output of my amp (The black bird is a NMVP). I play umiced and set the volume pretty low and dead clean.
    Then I engage the LP with the Volume control maxed on it and the sensitivity control set to a minimum.
    Then I strum chords at my max rythym pick attack.
    As I am playing I turn the LP sensitivity up until my amp starts to break up.
    Then I back the LP sensitivity off a little bit and I am all set.

Here are my observations.

As noted by others, the clean tones are the most dramatic. It seems like there is a bit more spirit and spank. The effected (dirty) tones are less dramatic but I still noticed a different. It seemed that my amp was more responsive. The sustain was greater, I could go into a harmonic feedback easier. The harmonic content seemed a bit fuller.

I know here at the TGP we really split hairs, but I did notice a difference that I was fond of. The bar I play at doesn't have an audience full of tone questers, but one person did come up and compliment me on my Tone. Which suprised me.

It was a good night out with the new addition to the rig.

p.s. The LP can make your rig much louder, so I really tried to balance the output so I wasn't performing my analysis on just an elevated signal.

As for music, we play Original Blues/Rock/Reggae. We cover one Santana Tune (Primavera) and the LP with the Burn Unit was really outstanding.

Take my review for what it is worth. I don't feel qualified to give any reviews but I promised I would report back.

14. Daren

Daren Member

thanks for reprting back.

so it sounds like you will be using the LP at all times from now on then ?

15. theHoss

theHoss Member

Yeppers. It will be on all the time. Just sitting on top of the amp making magic!

16. Lucidology

Lucidology Member

What are some of the settings you guys use for the amp cooking mode?