Launch Pad, who's using one?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Tapp, Jul 16, 2006.

1. Tapp

Tapp Member

Who's using the Barber Launch Pad and how are you using it? There are so many different things this box can do. I'm planning on using mine as a clean boost but I'm still not sure if I want to put it before or after the dirt pedals.

Tapp

2. muddy

muddy Member

after fuzz, compression, modulation (except leslie & flange)
    before od's & dist's, delays, flange & leslie
    also, i set the b output low & send it to my strobo. basically, i'm using in place of a buffer at the point of the chain i'm putting it in. since using it this way, ALL impedance issues in my chain have disappeared. this is, without a doubt, the cleverest & most reasonably priced box dave makes! INvaluable!

ml

3. Deaj

Deaj Silver Supporting Member

Agreed. The Launch Pad is a guitar players 'Swiss Army knife'.

4. Miles Long

Miles Long Member

Thanks to Deaj who was kind enough to loan me one, I gigged Saturday with the Launch Pad and loved it, it really cleaned my tone up and added a great clean boosst for solos, really cleaned up my sound, great pedal, thank you!

5. Tapp

Tapp Member

Cool, I was planning on placing it after the dirt pedals but I'll try it after compression and before dirt. Thanks!

Tapp

6. enickma

enickma Member

I use mine after everything right before the amp. It's pristine clean as a clean boost, but I like using it as an attenuator if the sound man says I am a bit too loud, and as a buffer right before my long cable into my amp. I'd rather dial back on the LP, as theres way less tone loss than my amp. It certainly is a clever little pedal with tons of uses

7. lazaruslong

lazaruslong Member

So you can use the LP to lower the volume without killing the tone? Does it still allow you to get power-tube/pre-amp distortion at lower levels?

8. Deaj

Deaj Silver Supporting Member

You can use it to lower the level of signal into the amp without altering tone or dynamics. This would drive the amp less and there would be less overdrive from the amp.

9. WahmBoomAh

WahmBoomAh World Crass Guitarist Silver Supporting Member

Ditto on the last stop before the amp ...I`ve used it to run 2 amps too .

Sometimes I need a clean, fat jazz type neck sound for solos ....this pedal gets things all clean and juicy and I can be heard over the mix ....when I`m running a rock solo with a KOT and/or SD-9 and the drummer is especially cranky ...the Launch Pad
    adds a boost that doesn`t change the overall tone . Love it .

10. hardys

hardys Member

The Barber Launch Pad adds a steely, bright and stiff sound when using it as a clean boost, and gets worse with cheaper cables. Normally cheap, low capacitence cables tend to roll off high end, but they act just the opposite with the Launch Pad. I have even discussed this with Dave Barber and he recommended some pretty expensive cables to alleviate the brightness.

Dave makes some excptional pedals, but this ain't one of them. To my ears, the Burris Boostier & Boostiest have a less colored, more musical sound, but they ALL color your tone to some degree. There's no such thing as a transparent pedal.....I just feel the Burris is the lesser of evils for my stage needs.

11. enickma

enickma Member

Wow .... I haven't had that experience at all. I guess it depends on what cables and set up you use.

Lazuruslong, the Launch Pad does alter the tone some when using it to turn down your overall volume, but not nearly as much as turning your amp down does. I've heard every attenuator will alter your tone though, no matter what the claims.

12. reentune

reentune Supporting Member

Thanks for the info, peeps.
    I just received mine this weekend.
    Haven't had a minute to incorporate it (or even to try it out) into the setup.
    This will certainly save me some trial and error (mostly error).

13. walpow

walpow Guest

I'm using the Launch Pad as an amp cooker as described in:
    http://www.tpngear.com/forum//index.php?showtopic=169

After fuzz, EQ, phaser. (I have everything else in the effects loop and I don't use any dirt pedals except the fuzz.) It does change my tone. In a good way. It makes it ... I don't know how to put it except to call it sweeter. More harmonics maybe. Just better. It's one of two pedals I keep on all the time, the other being an ISP Decimator.

I'm using George L's, by the way.

Nathan
    http://walpow.com

14. hardys

hardys Member

Point taken Dave and I'm sorry to have been misleading. The Zero Points are nice cables, but I think they were $85.00 when I tried them at AME in Ft. Lauderdale a year ago. That's on the exspensive side for me.

Anyway, if I run a 15 ft Canare from my guitar to my , it sounds fine. If I use 2 15 ft canres and a Launch Pad in between, I get a unpleasant brightness. What ever the cause (excessive capacitence) , that just doesn't work for me.

I have a Barber Tone Press & a Silver LTD and love them both. Also, your build quality is impeccable, your prices are great and your customer service is one of, if not the best, of any music gear manufacturer that I've dealt with.

Thanks for your response and it's great to know how much you care about your products and monitoring opinions on this forum.

15. enickma

enickma Member

If I read your post correctly, you aren't comparing apples to apples. Your rig sounds fine with a 15 ft cable. If you use TWO 15 ft cables, with a Launch Pad in between, your tone suffers. Any thought given to maybe the doubling of the cable length is the culprit to the tone change ?

16. CJReaper

CJReaper Member

When I was playing in a two guitar band I used mine at the end of my chain as a lead boost. As for the comments saying it's bright, stiff and steely, I could not disagree more. It didn't color my sound AT ALL. I now use it as a line driver/buffer at the end of my chain set to unity gain. Again, there is NO coloration of my tone, just more of it. I feel it's one of the best pedals ever made in that it has so many uses and has such great sound and build quality at an amazing price.

Cheers,

CJ

17. hardys

hardys Member

Yes. I see your point, but I've tried many other pedals with those same 2 cables, including the Burris, that didn't give the Launch Pad artifacts I described earlier. In a stage environment, two 15 ft cables when using pedals, is probably the bare miniumum in cable length for most players. If I can achive a less colored, more musical tone with a different clean boast pedal in the equation, then I'm going to purchase that pedal.

I ask that when you audition any pedal, if there is something about it that you don't like, do you question that the cables are the culprit? Most players just decide that the pedal is not for them and move on to something else as I did.

Are the cables the culprit? With the Launch Pad, they did seem to be the problem and when I used shorter cables of the same brand between the pedal and amp, (10 ft or less) the brightness all but disappeared. Unfortuneately, I need 15 ft of cable from my amp to pedals on stage. The Launch Pad could be the best clean boost ever made, but I'm not willing upgrade cables to make it work for me.

Simply put, my tonal bencmark is guitar direct to amp with a 15 ft cable. I strive to keep that same sound as close as possible in a real world stage environement while using pedals and another 15 ft cable to the amp. With my cable brand, another pedal does it better than the Launch Pad. If I need to spend another $85.00 per Carver cable recommended by Dave, I think I'll pass.

The topic of this thread is "Launch Pad, whos using one?. I replied with a factual experience under real world conditions, using well respected cables. It didn't work for me with what I consider to be a "very average" setup.

18. yZe

yZe Senior Member

Tampa, on the Territory of Florida (D.C. Free Zone
    This is a serious clean boost. I have been experimenting with it in the effects loop for straight power section boost, and it is awesome

I did notice a neglibible high endy thing, but that is only when I had the amp's or pedals' gain dimed

Other than that, it is most transparent w/loads of boost

Highly recommended by yZe

19. sl1960a

sl1960a Supporting Member

So can you use the LP to attenuate the volume with out messing with the tone? i.e. use the LP for a rhythm type volume and kick it off for lead boost? I know that's kind of a backwards approach, but with my Marshall 2204, boost pedals seem to just saturate the tone instead of giving it a volume boost. Any thoughts here?

20. yZe

yZe Senior Member

Tampa, on the Territory of Florida (D.C. Free Zone
    Yeah, you could do that. The sensitivity knob keeps your tone from getting muddied up when doing inverted boosting