Lauryn Hill

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by anais, Dec 27, 2009.

1. anais

anais Member

2. A-Bone

A-Bone Montonero, MOY, Multitudes Gold Supporting Member

I loved The Miseducation of Lauryn Hill. It's a brilliant blend of old school r&b and soul with intermediate and then-contemporary influences. Some of the tracks immediately feel like they had been around for years; and that is about as high a compliment as I know. It is as assured an album as I could imagine. I was also impressed at the gears and levels of her talent that it displayed, some of which were not so readily apparent in The Fugees material.

And there seemed so much promise for her subsequent releases. But then, things did not go so well for her in terms of even completing and releasing the follow-up, and Lauryn has been erratic in subsequent live performances -- and seems insecure or at least uncertain in terms of a follow-up. Now I wonder if the paralysis has set in due to the time lapse (not enough of that immediacy or spontaneity that you feel when the follow-up is promptly delivered). So maybe she is second guessing every little thing. Or maybe she just got fed up with the business.

3. jaydub69

jaydub69 Member

Yes, me too.
    This was under wraps for a while, but the cat is out of the bag:
    Her and producer Phil Nicolo are looking for some real estate in northern NJ to record an album. Some type of cool house in the hopes of getting a good vibe. I think the material is written though not sure. I won't hold my breath till it comes out. Evidently she is kind of a control freak, though it certainly worked for her previous stuff. Looking forward to it.

4. A-Bone

I hope that this is true, but there have been consistent rumors of the release of the follow-up ever since the original album release. I recall reading that she had even completed at least an album's worth of tracks an dumped them because she was unhappy with the results.

Axl Rose did finally drop Chinese Democracy, so it is possible. On the other hand, have you listened to Chinese Democracy?

5. rogerramjett

rogerramjett Supporting Member

I'm surprised nobody has heard the deal - years ago (after Miseducation) she got hooked up with this weird spiritualist who called himself her spiritual advisor and basically brainwashed her.

She did one bizarre performance during this time, on MTV's Unplugged. She rambled, almost incoherently, between songs and performed solo with an acoustic guitar (which she could barely play).

I haven't heard much about her in years but I think that ship has sailed (speaking in terms of mental stability)...

6. A-Bone

Hopefully she is not mentally ill or unstable, but you might be right.

I did see the Unplugged performance, and it was pretty painful to watch -- because she did seem pretty out of it.

She has done a couple of reunion performances with The Fugees since then, although these were likewise a bit rough (although not marred by rambling and the like -- they just seemed inadequately rehearsed).

7. small axe

small axe Member

she hooked up with rohan marley i believe and they have a relationship and five kids....no idea about what she is planning....

8. PedalFreak

PedalFreak Supporting Member

My first introduction to Lauryn was The Fugees. I was just telling my girlfriend about the Fugees yesterday. I loved those guys. I liked Lauryn's solo album, but not as much as the Fugees album. There has been a lot of talk about another Fugees album also, to me I'd really like that.

9. louderock

louderock Member

Worked with her once. Heard stories from others who did, as well.

BATSH*T CRAZY

10. anais

anais Member

I have crossed paths with the Nicolo brothers a few times- how do you know Phil?

And yes, Lauryn is pretty far out/crazy- but she is very good at what she does. I have never met anyone of her status that is not crazy in one way or another. Good for her.

11. FeloniousBishop

FeloniousBishop Member

I was big into the Fugees and got the Miseducation when it came out, and later the solo unplugged album which was disapointing.

There's a really cool Lauryn Hill track on the soundtrack of Ya-Ya Sisterhood.

In some way the Miseducation reminds me a bit of parts of Stevie Wonder's Songs From The Key Of Life, such as Village Ghetto Land, just as far as influence or something.

12. supergenius365

supergenius365 Silver Supporting Member

:agree