• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Lava Cables - tell me more and help me pick, or talk me out of

snow and steel

Silver Supporting Member
I'm considering going to a higher quality cable.

I am generally a guitar ---> 20' cable ---> amp kind of guy, and very rarely use any effects.

I play mainly single coil Strats for blues and very occasionally classic rock. I gig once or twice a week. I currently use Monster S-100 cables. I would like a cable that would give me a better sound but still be flexible enough to use on stage, but be able to withstand the constant use on stage - which is how I discovered Lava in researching cables. They have a quite a few different models, and other than the capacitance [when its mentioned - I've noticed on some pages they don't tell you] I can't tell what makes any one better than another.

I'd like some more info on what models I should be looking at from lava such as what are the benefits and differences of each model.

I will admit to being basically clueless about this sort of thing. Quality speaker cables I know, but the guitar cable thing somehow reads differently, or at least it does to me according to Lava's site. For what its worth I tried some George L's and disliked them immensely as they seemed to thin my sound a lot - like there was again in treble but also a loss in bass and midrange.

Thanks for your time.

I don't buy the hype about different cables sounding better or worse. But I do care about build quality, and lava cables are good for that. I have a ELC. Can't imagine anything being much better.

JPF

I use a 30' coiled Lava, and it sounds great with all of my guitars. Heavy, but solid.

etc

Just a few weeks ago I picked up a Lava Soar cable. When I told a friend of mine what I paid for it, he said I was crazy. So, we decided to compare and contrast some cables to see just how crazy I was. We tried two different Monster cables and a cheap Peavey cable. To us, the Lava cable was clearly better than all of them, especially the Peavey. Everything sounded clearer, brighter, more well defined.

Empros

Lava is great from what I've heard. My personal cable choice is Divine Noise. Haven't had a single problem with them, awesome cables that are built for the road.

It's hard to go wrong with any cables as long as they're not too cheap. Planet Waves, Divine Noise, Lava, Fender... All good stuff.

2guests

I have used three 10 ft Ultramafic cables for basically the last two years and they have sounded great and held up great during that time. The high quality soldering and stress relief used is top notch and that's what I credit their longevity to. All three cables have one straight and one angled plug on them. They are very sturdy cables, they take being stepped on repeatedly, they don't kink up, and they still easily roll up for put away.

Buy one and I believe you will like it very much.

Some of my friends have bought the Soar and the ELC and they've had no complaints with them at all.

mizzlfoshizzl

Big fan of my Lava Blue Demon cables. It's their moderate price, rugged stage use cable. Sounds great, lays flat while playing, coils up easily after, connectors are super durable.

hendrixstrat

Silver Supporting Member
I have a set of clear connect 2's..They sound better than my Monster Rock cables. Is it night & day? No. But they do sound better..I picked up 2 sets of the mini Ultramific patch kits for my board, so I might upgrade to the same cables for my amp/loop..Great customer service as well.

thiscalltoarms

more gadgets than Batman.
Platinum Supporting Member
I am using ELC and Stage Connect cables. Really like the durability of the Stage Connect with the Lava rock coating, and the silent disconnect jacks are great as well.

J-Walk

I switched from Mogami Gold to Lava Ultramafic a year ago and notice more clarity and high end with a slightly fuller bottom end. Both are great, but I won't be switching back. Worth every penny, IMO... the build quality is very solid as well.

TubeStack

Silver Supporting Member
I have a 15' Lava Clear Connect (earlier version, not II) that I like, but I flip between it and a Planet Waves American Stage cable that I like just as much.

The Lava seems to be stronger in the low mids and have better string-to-string definition, but the American Stage has better high end and overall greater detail. The American Stage is also less than half the price of the the Lava...

Jon C

Silver Supporting Member
Had good experience til a recent failure that the cable mfr repaired under his warranty, on a cable that never left my music rm and had little use (not a gigged cable).

musicman10_1

Silver Supporting Member
I got a 20' Lava Retro Coil cable for Christmas and I really like it. I usually use George L's and find the Lave to as good or better. It is heavy and so I don't use it in all situations.

Teledeluxe77

I tried lava cables on two separate occasions and both failed miserably. Each time I had major issues with bad wiring sent from the manufacturer. A friend of mine actually had the exact same situation. I don't know if it was a bad batch of wiring or what but because of thar I will NEVER use lava cables again nor will I suggest use to anyone I come across.

Irreverent

Silver Supporting Member
I have not used a Lava guitar cable. I have had the Lava kit patch cables on my board with zero problems through three years of gigging.

I have used Fender, Monster, Live Wire, and Evidence Audio guitar cables over the years. For my money, the best combination of sound quality, durability, and quality of construction is found in Armor Gold Cables. They really are an incredible value. I have used Armor Gold guitar cables and speaker cables exclusively for the past three years, and they have functioned flawlessly.

[Disclaimer: Dustin, the owner of Armor Gold and a member here, is a good friend of mine.]

Peace.

HootieGB

Notwithstanding the above comments, my 15' Clear Connect is a winner in my book plus which it feels very sturdy and well made. No problems with mine bought in January '12......but the date seems to put me in the danger zone!

turtleheadblues

Notwithstanding the above comments, my 15' Clear Connect is a winner in my book plus which it feels very sturdy and well made. No problems with mine bought in January '12......but the date seems to put me in the danger zone!
No worries it was only on one run and only some had issues. Ty Tabor had two from that run and did three Kings X tours on them still going. We have your back thanks for the kind words.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom