lava cables...what to expect?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by rogue.guineapig, Apr 5, 2008.

1. rogue.guineapig

rogue.guineapig Member

I did some research on the forum here and found
    that a number of ya really like the Lava cables....
    I just ordered an 8' a 12', and a pile of bulk
    cables for my pedal chain, (R/A jacks off of ebay, a certain item
    highly appraised by a few TGPers).
    I've been using a few Fender cables, coupla homemade jobbies,
    and a peavey cable or two all my playing days.
    For you that made that first big plunge into good cables..
    tell me, what's it like? are you impressed or depressed after
    doing a complete new cable setup with nice stuff?
    RGP

2. sense_of_henry

sense_of_henry Member

I am currently selling gear, and saving money, for a big cable upgrade. I will come back to this thread when I have an opinion that is useful.

I do have George L's now that I like but I am VERY nervous about the non-solder reliability issues. I have NEVER have a problem with them but there is something about a soldered, jacketed, guaranteed cable that makes me feel warm and safe.

:crazy

3. es125luv

es125luv Member

I let Mark make all of mine... but I can say this... tone improvements from cables are VERY subjective, but all I can say is, that my rig sounds better than ever with the ELC...

Very clear sounding cables, and well built. I went from crap cords that were going in and out all of the time to having cables that are stronger and more reliable than most of my gear!!!

4. cvansickle

cvansickle Supporting Member

I love the Sommer Spirits I got from Lava Cable. I hear a huge improvement from the Whirlwind Leaders I was using previously. The Sommers have much more clarity to my ears.

5. thewex

thewex Member

I'll let you know tomorrow, I just put the pboard kit together tonight. i cant wait to hear it, and it sure looks nice too :)

I, like you was using crappy cables so it is a huge upgrade for me.

6. rogue.guineapig

rogue.guineapig Member

oh good, do tell!
    my collection is like a pack of street dogs from some border town..
    one or two nice ones and a few ugly ones.
    Never any connection problems really...I just wonder about tone/hiss/buzz/clarity...
    ya know, the good stuff.

rgp

7. Fatso Forgottso

Fatso Forgottso Member

little rope like objects that allow sound to pass between pieces of guitar/musical equipment

8. thewex

thewex Member

put it this way, laval solderless kit + mogami inst. cables = wow

tone = completely balanced
    hiss = almost none, 1st thing i noticed was how quiet everything was
    buzz = none
    clarity = most clarity i've ever heard out of myself :)

do yourself a favor, take the plunge. it rocks! :RoCkIn

9. rogue.guineapig

rogue.guineapig Member

oh I already did!

I got a 12' tweed cable with one R/A and one straight,
    and one 8' tweed with the same jack setup.
    Then I bought 9 feet of ELC cable for patch cables
    that I am making myself with R/A jacks.
    I figure if I am going to all this trouble to be picky about guitar
    tone, and amp tone, and my pedals, WHY would I piece it all
    together with my current cable setup...which is kinda sketch.
    so ya...I've plunged already..I just wanted affirmation to come
    on in the water is fine. :D
    rgp

10. cbpickin

cbpickin Tweed Supporting Member Silver Supporting Member

I had Planet Waves cables with George L's on my board and I upgrades everything to Lava ELC. The tonal difference was not subtle at all. I really didn't expect it to be so dramatic.
    I just played a gig last night and I'm still amazed at the balanced and quacky strat tones I get, even after running through 10 pedals. My cleans have never sounded better.

11. dank

dank Consummate Beatles Fan Supporting Member

I have owned a ton of different cables over the years. My entire pedalboard (19 pedals) is wired with Mark's Mini ELC Lava Cable and the new solderless cables. I use two 15' Lava Cables coming out of the pedalboard-one goes to an electric amp, and the other goes to an acoustic amp. With all those pedals, would you believe that the entire rig is virtually silent? It is. I am quite pleased. However, I do NOT recommend the solderless plugs if you plan to swap out pedals on a regular basis. For that, go with soldered cables.

One of the reasons that I like the Lava Cables is that they are heavy duty yet quite flexible. I have an Evidence 12' cord that constantly kinks. It sounds fine but I always have to unwind it. I also have Canare cables, Mogami, Monster, Klotz and Sommer. I find that for my needs, the ELC Lava Cable is the best bang for the buck.

Check this month's issue of Guitar Player for their take on quite a number of guitar cables.

12. Rumblefish

Rumblefish Silver Supporting Member

I don't perform these days,but I do a lot of recording in my new studio.I have found that I still prefer my George L's for my default cables,but I also have Canary cables.I like using the Canaries for certain ultra high fi clean tones
    depending on which way the mental wind is blowing on a given night.I've never ever had any trouble with solderless connects on my G.L.'s. I think I'm gonna try some Lavas and see what all the buzz is about.

13. klaetos

klaetos Member

I upgraded from mogami silver to Lavacable ELC and the ELC mini solderless. Like it so far. The only issue I had with the solderless was one of the points didn't set right. Once I figured out which one was bad and re-did the plug it has worked great, no issues.

It sound better to me when I a/b'd the ELC and the Mogami straight in to my Fuchs. But then again when you spend that much money on a cable your mind is going to tell you it is awesome no matter what! :D

I will certainly buy more Lavacable's when I can afford to upgrade my loop cables or when I need to expand my pedal board.

14. cvansickle

cvansickle Supporting Member

Something else that sould be pointed out, regarding "What to Expect" with Lava Cables:

You can expect a high quality product, built and delivered with excellent customer service by a dedicated craftsman who truly loves his work.

15. thewex

thewex Member

and i ordered mine on a friday and received it on monday!

16. Deville2Rocket

Deville2Rocket Member

I went the Monster 500 / George L's route when I first decided to get really serious in my quest for great tone. I used Monster 500 series cables for my guitar/bass to the pedals, and from the pedals to the amp, and I used George L's to connect the pedals for my guitar and bass rigs, and in my rack on my bass amp.

After my ride on the hype train, I've found that if you're experiencing sound differences between two quality 12' cables, something is wrong with one of them.
    For recording, use the best cables you can afford. Where live playing is concerned, any subtle differences you think you may hear will be lost in the ambient noise of whatever room you're playing in anyway.

17. rogue.guineapig

rogue.guineapig Member

that says volumes right there...
    don't we all wish our jobs were to us like his is to him.
    I look forward to getting my new toys!

RGP

18. cbpickin

cbpickin Tweed Supporting Member Silver Supporting Member

I can agree with the hype concerning Monster. The Lava is a totally different league. You don't have to have dog ears to hear the difference. My clean tones on my strat are incredibly different than they were with either Monster or Planet Waves and George L's on the board. There are frequencies that come out of my amp that just plain weren't there before. I use Lollar low output pickups and those other cables added so much mid range that you couldn't hear the hollow quack and sparkle at all like you can now. Believe me, I didn't expect to hear a big change, I just had to give it a try. Both my drummer and bass player hear a difference too.

19. Jason417

Jason417 Silver Supporting Member

We are currently using Lava Cables with our soon-to-be-launched pedal line, and we are extremely impressed with the both the build and sonic quality of the Lava Cables. Mark is professional and courteous, a joy to work with.

20. BluesHarp

BluesHarp Member

I compared 5 diff cables at 12 ft length straight into various amps and the ELC is the real deal. ( was looking for an uncolored pedalboard solution ) Balanced and natural is the most important quality. They have some 12 ft ELC's on ebay for $40 shipped... I jus scored one. Search: lava cable guitar

Like a sore weeny... you cant beat it.