Lava Cables?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Hulakatt, Jan 24, 2018.

Tags:
  1. SmokinHalfNote

SmokinHalfNote Member

Been a while since I've posted, but was on here seeing what was going on with this company. Probably dropped $1k on their products over the years. I have a coiled guitar cable that needs to be repaired/replaced. I've emailed three times. Sent FB messages. Just crickets. Cannot recommend this company in its current state.

2. Jon C

Jon C Silver Supporting Member

I've moved on to other sources after an expensive cable failed; when returned to the manufacturer (not Lava) for repair (done free under warranty), was advised that the cable was improperly put together (and that this was a repeat issue) by the supplier.

3. SmallStones

SmallStones Supporting Member

Count me as one of the people completely ignored with a warranty issue. And this was a new cable that didn't pass signal. I like his short coilies but I'm not buying from him again.

4. Hulakatt

Hulakatt Supporting Member

Well, I've been playing with it for a few days now, kinda heavy but nothing really stands out about it. The 2 cables I use the most are Canare cables put together and sold by Original Fuzz a few years ago. I just got another 20 feet of Canare and some plugs so I'll try them back to back at some point.

5. Glass Onion

Glass Onion Toneful truth seeker. Gold Supporting Member

I love Mark and my experience is great.

I buy vanden hul from him and have coilyas well.

Great all the way around.

Have been using them for years.

6. saltbird

saltbird Member

I've been using a retro coil cable for the past four years and it's great. Does not tangle, and feels of top quality.

7. ledzep618

ledzep618 Supporting Member

I have a new retro coil and 4 blue demons that just shipped. I have their Tephra speaker cable and I currently have two other 20' ELC cables from them. They make killer stuff. Problem is the guy's not a good communicator. This past order took like 3 weeks to ship, which is fine but it'd be nice if he kept an updated lead time on his website or something. The last time I ordered from him (probably been 3 years now) I had similar issues, my order didn't ship for like 1.5 months and it took 3 or 4 emails to get ahold of him, when I finally did he was apologetic and gave me a free upgrade to nicer cable, which in turn still took another 2 weeks to ship.

So I mean, yeah I like Lava and especially like their coil cable but I don't but from them frequently or if I need the cable with a sense of urgency.

8. SmokinHalfNote

SmokinHalfNote Member

I've had good experience in the past as well, but don't see much evidence of them currently supporting their products. If Mark or someone else at Lava responds to my recent emails and/or FB messages or contacts me here to set things straight, I'll revise my assessment. But having spent a cool $1k on their cables in the past, I stand by my current assessment of their customer service, i.e. non-existent.

Abram4235 likes this.
  9. joshofsorts

joshofsorts Supporting Member

I haven't had any recent transactions with them, but I have had the same Lava ELC cables for 10+ years of gigging and they are still holding up fine. I had an issue with one of the cables being microphonic when I first received it and he sent me a new cable right away.

10. willyboy

willyboy Member

Not currently of course, but I had pretty good service a few years back on a couple returns of Lava Soars I purchased. The replacement cables were shipped to my fairly quick and email responses were good. My only beef is those cables were terrible for any hope of long term use: no proper strain relief, and the cable failed as the plug casing cuts into the cable. And that was with minor use within a month each time. I just got fed up and put them in a box. High priced boutique waste of money with absolutely zero benefits beyond any other cable I've used at less than half the cost. Makes me hesitant to ever spend another dime on Lava cable.

CarlGuitarist likes this.
  11. 6AM

6AM Member

I've used a Lava coily cable I bought after my Bullet cable died and I couldn't get anyone from Bullet to respond on to how to get a replacement under warranty (I still have it, the receipt, and the packaging... they don't care). I bought the Lava cable from Musicians Friend and I have no complaints. I also bought their solderless cable kits and they're fine, too.

12. SoundsGood

SoundsGood Member

I used to have all lava cables.... first I used magmas... they were fine and some are still functioning as my back up cables. Then I upgraded my pedalboard to mini elc's. I found that their plug would come loose in the pedal jacks. A couple of these had shorts in the cable. So, I got the George L solderless kit and re wired my entire pedalboard. Haven't had a problem since. I also have the Lava vintage guitar cables. They work really really well. Haven't had any problem with my lava cables going from my guitar to the board and from the board going to the amp. So ymmv. But I won't ever buy from them again.

13. Blueser

Blueser Member

I've ordered a number of cables from Mark and always had good service and what I considered a fair price (especially when you shop the sales). I don't need anyone to powder my @$$ when I'm buying something. A straight up, honest transaction is all I'm looking for, so from my perspective, it's all good.

For the record, these days I am playing "garden variety" Mogami Gold cables, that I did not purchase from Lava, so I have no dog in this hunt.

14. peedenmark7

peedenmark7 Member

I dropped about $800 last year upgrading to LAVA cables. I found some really great deals from dealers on reverb and ebay looking to dump stock, saved almost half on some cabling. I then inquired direct to Lava about and then waited close to 2 months for nickel 229 plugs to come back in stock, then spent some more.
    NO real cable issues to date, finding the Fountain mic cable to be curling up on me, which compared to my 25 year old Beldens and 1 newer Mogami is NOT normal after only a couple uses .

I absolutely love my ELC cables and and the regular Ultramaffic is really awesome stuff as is the Mini Ultramaffic I re-wired my board with...

That said, the customer service is seriously lacking big time in my opinion.. It's really a small company when the business owner answers emails, [on one hand classy] & looks like his regional sales rep in Ohio is no longer with the company as he is no longer listed on the website.

I recently inquired about some small items, shrink , plugs, etc. and I got an immediate response , then I emailed 3 times since with no replies..
    Seems like smalls are not an important sale... Praying the cables last as I do not have the time or patience to wait around :)

So as I now look to make up new pedal DC power cabling, for the isolated power source on the way, and have nothing back in the form of contact from Lava after a month +, I called Mogami for 2333 and am awaiting a dealer response to provide my cabling needs.

I'm for the most part a cheerleader when it comes to products I really like... Shirts, hats, standing a top the highest mountain singing praises, but this is one company I am apprehensive grandstanding for.
    I hope that changes.

15. BadAssBill

BadAssBill southofnash.com Silver Supporting Member

Lava solder less patch cables are some of the most hated pieces of gear on TGP, and I personally had a horrific experience with them. full disclosure, I noticed the other day one of my instrument cable is a lava. I've used it and my vox curly cable on hundreds of gigs. I use moogamis for patch cables.

16. XTC Blue

XTC Blue Silver Supporting Member

BUMP: Re: Lava solder-less. THESE. THINGS. SUCK! I've tried 10 times to get through the insulation without cutting excessive amounts of the braided ground wire. Can't be done, and I've been cutting and splicing stuff for decades.

Sending them back to Amazon. The insulation is much too tough and the braid is too weak. Plus the wire itself is bad in regard to stiffness/memory. Terrible product.

jnepo1 likes this.
  17. Hulakatt

Hulakatt Supporting Member

Update-ish: Still using the 2 Original Fuzz Canare cables and a small handful of Canare cables I put together myself. Zero issues and they still sound great.

18. whoismarykelly

whoismarykelly Oh look! This is a thing I can change!

I guess that's why every time I see them in videos the cables look all mangled and kinked.

I have a TON of lava patch cables from the early 2000s when they first started up. All but one out of about 30-40 are still going strong all these years later.

19. Rydock

Rydock Member

I’m very OCD about retaining all of the ground braid, so I use a sharp razor instead of the included stripper tool. I get 100% of my braid every time. I will always check. I generally prefer to use a razor instead of a proper wire stripper most of the times, so I’ve gotten used to cutting through insulation very quickly without cutting into any braided wire. Cables are super flexible, and that’s why I use these.

Glitch Magnet and fitzo like this.
  20. Glitch Magnet

Glitch Magnet Supporting Member

What ever happened to RapcoHorizon's acquisition of Lava? This was supposed to have happened Spring 2018, but I see no indication it ever happened. No mention of any relationship on either's website.