Lava Coily Cable

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by toast487, Feb 19, 2012.

1. toast487

toast487 Member

Thinking about getting one. Is it low capacitance even though it's a coily? I haven't been able to find any specs on them.

2. wingwalker

wingwalker Fuzzy Guitars

I have one and love it...I don't know what the capacitance is or any of that but I can tell you that it's nothing like the old coiled cables I used to have...it's MUCH more more clear than that!

3. modernp

modernp Member

If its a lava cable I would buy it without knowing anything at all about it. Thats how well they are made.

4. npfrs

npfrs Member

I have one on order. If I notice a slight drop in treble, I will reach over to my amp and turn the treble knob a little bit clockwise. If you want the cable, get it. :)

5. standingzero

standingzero Member

I have one and it's great. It's definitely a higher quality cable, but isn't as pristine as say the Soar. However, it'll stand up well against other cables equally or more expensive.

6. rootbeersoup

rootbeersoup Member

I've been thinking of getting either the Lava, or a Bullet ever since my VOX coily died. I'm leaning towards the Bullet, but they've been out of stock for a while

7. AceBSpankin

AceBSpankin Prince of Ales Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

I went Lava when my Vox died after only 3-4 months of use:huh and the Lava is a much Much better product!!

8. Andy J.

Andy J. Member

I've been using Sommer's The Spirit for quite some time now, bought an orange Lava Coily a couple of weeks back and first plugged it in at soundcheck: noticed that I didn't have to do any adjustments to my usual settings, felt happy, rocked hard and sounded good during that weekend's gigs!

My only gripe is that the straight part of the cable could be a couple of inches longer: I wrap my cable through the strap and it is a bit tight... The RA end would help with this with my LP, but wouldn't work with my Tele.

9. mj07

mj07 Supporting Member

My Lava coily just died this weekend after maybe 5-6 months of @ home use no gigging.:huh

10. mbargav

mbargav Member

No treble loss with Lava, but it's way too tightly coiled for my taste. I much prefer my Vox coilies.

11. AceBSpankin

AceBSpankin Prince of Ales Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

12. turtleheadblues

turtleheadblues Senior Member

Please email me your address and we will send a new one out. Sorry for the issue very rare to replace Coils.

13. KoskineN

KoskineN Supporting Member

^That's customer services! :)

I have one for a while now, gigged a lot with it with no issue so far! Love it!

[​IMG]

14. rootbeersoup

rootbeersoup Member

How does it handle being wrapped through the strap? This is what I would be doing with mine, and this may be why the VOX coily died on me.

15. mj07

mj07 Supporting Member

16. KoskineN

KoskineN Supporting Member

So far so good. I always wrap my cables like this, and the coily is doing great. I think that putting some coil in the strap could help with the weight, so that the straight part don't get to much pull down on it...

17. standingzero

standingzero Member

Never used a Bullet cable, but I'd save up the extra scratch for a Lava. Good cables don't need to get upgraded like pedals. You buy them good and don't worry about it after that, IMO

18. tonyhay

tonyhay Supporting Member

Seeing those always reminds me of the 70's...

maybe I should get one...

19. djy8131

djy8131 Member

20. Jim Collins

Jim Collins Member

I use a Lava coiled cable, and I love it. If I could make one suggestion, though, it would be to add maybe two inches of straight cable to the guitar side. This would make it easier to wrap the cord through the strap. I don't like the coily part of the cable being snagged inside the strap, but the straight part of the cable is short enough that it seems to put some strain on the cable, right where the jack is connected. Consequently, I just plug the cable straight into the jack, and let it hang. I prefer to have the cable hang from the stap button, rather than from the input jack, only because the cable stays away from my legs.