Lava mini ELC vs Evidence Monorail...

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by gitfiddler, Dec 24, 2009.

1. gitfiddler

gitfiddler Member

I have the Evidence Monorail cable run on my pedal board and was thinking of running the Lava mini ELC pedal board kit. I know there is another thread on this but there was not too much comparison. How have the two cables stacked up for you guys? And has anyone had any reliability issues with the solderless Lava kit?

2. chervokas

chervokas Member

I love Mark at Lava cable and buy a lot of my cables from him. A few months ago I put together some of the solderless patch cables. My verdict: The solderless ELC kit makes cables that are quick to build, work nicely in the tight spaces of a pedalboard, and sound great; but they're definitely not as durable or trouble free as well soldered terminations and I always wonder how good the ground connections are--no issues w/ continuity but I'm constantly wondering about iffy ground connections adding noise. I'll probably stick with soldered cables in the future.

Haven't heard the Evidence cables.

3. drod2045

drod2045 Member

I use the lava's. Theyre great. Have had minimal issues with them. Only have had to touch up a couple ends over the last 1-2 years

never tried the evidence but i hear great things. Although Im happy with my Lava's, Im sure a soldered end is the only 100% true way to never have a problem shorting out. Although it could. The lavas are an easy fix. And I like being able to make my own at any time at any length (i suck at soldering).

4. gkelm

gkelm Supporting Member

I'm all ears on this too... :)

5. turtleheadblues

turtleheadblues Senior Member

Did anything give you the impression the ground connection was iffy? Once they are properly built there are no issues. I am currently working with Steve Vai/Zappa guitar tech Thomas Nordegg who flipped out over this system and he put it thru the ringer. I might ask him to write a small build tutorial or video on building these while he does Dweezils rack this week.

6. PWGuy

PWGuy Member

I'm deciding between these 2 exact solutions right now; looking to pull the trigger end of March/early April. I can't decide .. cost vs. convenience. I'm sure they both sound great!

7. Zeon45

Zeon45 Member

How to the Monorails compare to the EA Melody for patch and effects loop connections? I've pretty much decided to use the EA Lyric HG for Guitar>effects board>amp, however I would prefer to use soldered patch cables for my effects board.

8. randy morser

randy morser Member

I used the EA melody cables when I was in the Navy Band and they were fantastic. I like the sound of the Melody over the Lyric HG cables too. I had to leave all that gear with the band when I left, but I'd buy them again if I has the disposable bread.

JackS2 likes this.
  9. jkstigma

jkstigma Member

i'm not sure,,but i think with the monorail on my pedalboard,, i can hear some more treble than with the Lava,,
    i think monorail sounds brighter ..but...i'm not sure
    What do you think?

For sure i can say that lava is easy to fix, but about sound i cant decide,,

10. darrenguitar

darrenguitar Member

interesting that you like the sound of the melodys more..... can you explain why?

11. randy morser

randy morser Member

I found the high-end of the Melody cables more musical vice the Lyric's high-end, which sounded to bright and brittle, especially when I played a scratchy funk park. The dead-strokes didn't sound right to my ears.

12. chops612

chops612 Member

I find EA are very natural cables. I use them exclusively and swear by them. I agree somewhat about the Melody vs Lyric HG. Bright and brittle is NOT how I would ever describe them though, George L's sound bright and brittle. BUT I think the top end of the Melody is "sweeter" over all. I use Melodies from guitar to pedal board and Lyrics from pedal board to amp because those runs are 20-30 ft and they definitely keep the tone consistent if you have a good buffer at the end of your chain. Monorails on my board and I think they sound just a smidge sweeter than the George L's mini cables, but for me they were more about piece of mind as I soldered them with Switch Craft ends. Perks are they have solid center core so you can somewhat bend and pre shape them which works great.
    Unfortunately have not tried the Lava cables so no help from me there, but have heard great things. +100 for EA

13. DOMINIC

DOMINIC Member

Happy with the Monorail..

I'm sure I couldn't tell the different between the two cables though.