Lava solderless cables with right-angle plugs - I like 'em

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Pat Healy, Oct 2, 2008.

1. Pat Healy

Pat Healy Member

I've now ordered five DIY solderless pedalboard patch cable kits from Lava Cable, 4 with straight plugs and 1 with the new right angles. I've praised Mark and his kits in the past, but I like them even better with the right angle plugs. It takes me less than 30 seconds to assemble one end of a cable, and they are rock-solid reliable. I had only one result in a less than perfect connection, which I quickly remedied by removing the end, stripping off a bit more insulation, and reassembling. 30 seconds, problem solved.

These things take up very little space - the 9V right-angle adapters that power my pedals actually consume more room. Plus they sound great, like all the Lava stuff. Mark, thanks again!

2. NewarkWilder

NewarkWilder Member

ive got 2 mixed kits coming--can't wait!

3. LVC

LVC Senior Member

I am on the fence about them.

Ordered a kit and built out a new small board. I spent way more time assembly than I ever did with George L's. Also I think the connections warm the tone of guitar a bit (might be my imagination).

Maybe I am just used to the George L's --- easy to use and they sound to my ears more transparent.

I just received a George L .155 set and I will be switching back maybe this weekend (if I have the time).

Don't get me wrong --- I am a big fan of Lava cables (god knows I have spent enough money on them).... but my ears seem to prefer the George L's.... but who knows --- after I switch to the George L's ... I might realize that I like the Lava pedal cables better and switch back.

4. Pat Healy

Pat Healy Member

This would make sense, since the prevailing wisdom seems to be that George L's are "bright" and I would consider the Lava cables to be "balanced." Accounting for differences in the way we all hear, it would make sense for you to hear the Lavas as warmer (darker, maybe?) than the GL's.

Feel you there. After 5 kits...Lord have mercy.

5. LVC

LVC Senior Member

Darker

Love the Lava cables. I have several Lava guitar cables, as well as jumpers for my Dumblelator and Eclipse (go through the loop) -- and they sound wicked good.

with the pedal cables -- I immediately noticed a darker /warner tone --- not saying that is bad -- I just like more transparency.

the little board that I am making is to just hold some delay/modulation effects for when I do not take my rack out -(delay, phaser, chorus etc) -- I use the OD channel on my amps for all my OD needs (I own a Fuchs ODS 100 combo and a Bludo 100 watt EL34 HRM --- need I say more?).

6. Pat Healy

Pat Healy Member

Nice amps!!! :drool

7. ducmike

ducmike Silver Supporting Member

I hear the ELC as more balanced, and the George Ls as bright. But, I play a pretty bright rig (P90s into a plexi type amp) as it is. Just a matter of perspective.

I have no problem with the GLs tone, I would still use the GLs if the ELC kit had not come out.

8. 908SSP

908SSP Supporting Member

Cables can't add frequency only cut and it is more like they cut the highs than anything else.