Lavaman solderless pedalboard cables

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Maven, Sep 5, 2008.

1. Maven

Maven Supporting Member

Anyone use these on their board? I recently ditched my EB Jr volume pedal and the tone drastically improved. Now I'm looking to replace my George L's..

2. missing_dave

missing_dave Member

well i can say that the lava ELC is a excellent cable. (i use it but soldered my own) i actually bought 10 feet of it AFTER i had purchased a amp>board ELC. what a difference! now my board and the cable to amp are ELC. sounds way better than before (a mix of george l and monster)

go for it.its a great "middle ground" price but big sound upgrade(for me) which i also liked. mark is top notch as well.

3. Tonefish

Tonefish Member

I'm still having this trouble too. Probably my own fault, but I've tried to be very careful about following the instructions.

I plan to start soldering my own.

4. lifeinsong

lifeinsong Member

There are videos on youtube.com that show you how to assemble them.

5. Tonefish

Tonefish Member

Yes, I've watched them many times. They make it look very simple don't they? The devil is in the details, it seems. Cutting the right length, folding the shield back just right, and then getting the knurled housing on certainly takes some practice. I've about worn my fingers out trying to get it right.

My other problems are the bends I need. Now that they offer right angles, some of that issue might go away though.

If I am the only one having these problems, then it is obviously me. But that was my experience.:cool:

Those who didn't have any trouble should chime in too!!

6. Pat Healy

Pat Healy Member

This was exactly my experience. Had some issues initially, but now that I have the hang of it they work perfectly every time. And they sound great.

7. cbpickin

cbpickin Tweed Supporting Member Silver Supporting Member

I love the ELC cable. I'm using it in my whole chain now for the last 6 months or so and it is a big improvement tonally. They can be a bit difficult to make, until you get the hang of it. The tip that Mark gave me that helped was stripping a little extra of the rubber jacket and then using sharp scissors to cut it to the 1/16" length after the braided cable is through the "nipple." Then, you trim the excess and use your thumb and finger to spread it around the edges. It helped a lot. You really don't have to be as precise as it seems to make good contact.

8. soundbee

soundbee Member

I travel a lot and don't like having to think about cables. Occasionally a couple of the solderless jacks would get lose. I ended up just using the solder versions. The plugs are bigger but I don't have a lot on my board so that won't affect me. The jack sleeves still get lose once in a while but who cares (unless they fall off completely). I upgraded from George L's to the ELC - nice change - fuller sound.

I don't think about cables any more! ;)

9. ducmike

ducmike Silver Supporting Member

I just got my ELC solder-less kit today. Took me a couple of trys to get the first one, but I go it down after that. No where near as hard as trying to make the monorail cable work with george l connectors. Sounds great, a little warmer than the george l's. And the right angle plugs allowed me to move my X2 receiver under the PT Jr.

10. Flyin' Brian

Flyin' Brian Member

I don't use the solderless plugs, but I do use the ELC cable and it blew away the George Ls that it replaced.

11. hudpucker

hudpucker Supporting Member

There IS a learning curve but...it ain't that steep, IMO.

I dig the new rt. angle plugs. The cable sounds quite good, too. Very 'full' without being too middy or trebly...to my ears anyway

12. Maven

Maven Supporting Member

Sounds like they're a bit tricky to get the hang of but it doesn't scare me too much....It ain't brain surgery, right? I'm gonna go for it!