Layla and Other Assorted Love Songs...

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by Marcfordsfuzz513, Jan 24, 2012.

1. Marcfordsfuzz513

Marcfordsfuzz513 Member

Man, there is so much emotion in this album. You can feel it in Claptons voice and guitar playing, that he loved Pattie Boyd. You almost feel bad for him when you here the music because we've all been there, in some form. Then there's Duane... I don't even know where to begin, he added so much to this album. I just don't think I've EVER heard another album with so much pain and sorrow.

2. Gandalf5150

Gandalf5150 Member

Fantastic album for sure. Got this from Wiki. Thought it was a good read...

A serendipitous event put guitar greats Eric Clapton and Duane Allman in contact shortly after the Dominos had begun to record at Criterion Studios in Miami, Florida, in August 1970. Veteran producer Tom Dowd was behind the mixing board for the Allman Brothers second album, Idlewild South, when the studio received a phone call that Clapton was bringing the Dominos to Miami to record. On hearing this, Allman indicated he'd love to come by and watch, if it would be OK with Clapton.
    A week or so after the Dominos arrived, Allman called Dowd to let him know his band was in town to perform a benefit concert on August 26. When Clapton learned of this from Dowd he insisted on going to see their show, saying, "You mean that guy who plays on the back of (Wilson Pickett's) 'Hey Jude'?...I want to see him play... let's go." Clapton and company managed to sit in front of the barricade separating the audience from the stage. When they sat down, Allman was playing a solo. When he turned around and opened his eyes and saw Clapton, he froze. Dickey Betts, the Allmans' other lead guitarist, took up where Duane left off, but when he followed Allman's eyes to Clapton, he had to turn his back to keep from freezing, himself.[8]
    After the show, Allman asked if he could come by the studio to watch some recording sessions, but Clapton invited him there directly: "Bring your guitar; you got to play!" Overnight, the two bonded; Dowd reported that they "were trading licks, they were swapping guitars, they were talking shop and information and having a ball — no holds barred, just admiration for each other's technique and facility."[9] Clapton wrote later in his autobiography that he and Allman were inseparable during the sessions in Florida; he talked about Allman as the "musical brother I'd never had but wished I did

3. facesfan

facesfan Member

Yep, there's something so familiar and universal that resonates from that album. Pain,sadness,joy and all the emotional colors in between. Tom Dowd is right in the middle,the catalyst,the pro,the musician, the master.

4. mark norwine

mark norwine Member

In my view, a great deal of credit for that album needs to go to Bobby Whitlock.

5. GuitarsFromMars

GuitarsFromMars Member

Spectacular recording.

If Clapton had stopped after this recording, the world would have been deprived of some huge pop music.

I don't think I would have been disappointed with this, Mayall/Beano, the Yardbirds, Blind Faith, and the Cream albums, as his entire recorded output.

6. keefsdad

keefsdad Member

I agree, the man had soul.

7. HiddenCharms

HiddenCharms Member

One of the greatest albums. Clapton and Allman were two of the three best, IMHO, rock guitarists of that time period (Hendrix being the third). Whitlock and Clapton made a really good songwriting team. And last, but not least, Gordon and Radle were one of the greatest rhythm sections around. I've always felt that even among all the top musicians Clapton has played with, the Dominos brought out the best in Clapton.

8. EricPeterson

EricPeterson Member

Perhaps my favorite album of all time, I will echo that Whitlock deserves credit, but so does everyone in that ensemble and Tom Dowd. spectacular performances all around and Tom knew just how to capture it all. I am continually inspired when I listen to it.

9. Blanket Jackson

Blanket Jackson ¿Qué Hiciste? Silver Supporting Member

Eric Clapton and ...
    Duane, SRV, Carl Radle, Freddie King, George Harrison .....

I dunno, if I was Buddy I might not be walking under any ladders ...

10. JPF

JPF Member

By coincidence, I just happened to buy my third copy of Layla this morning, this time in 180g vinyl. This and the Allman Brothers Band LatFE are as good as it gets,,,

11. Dawg76

Dawg76 Silver Supporting Member

Clapton notes in his (2007) autobiography that Jim Gordon and Carl Radle made up the best rhythm section he's EVER played with.

12. Crowder

Crowder Dang Twangler Silver Supporting Member

Incredible performances. I find I can't listen to it anymore because the guitar tones make me sick to my stomach. Clapton was definitely feelin' it.

13. dancehall

dancehall Member

Agreed, so much feeling. It's really raw yearning.

14. ToneZappa

ToneZappa Member

Layla and Other Assorted Love Songs...
    Here are several versions of "Layla" only for true layla fans. :huh

15. gmann

gmann Member

If I had to pick a favorite LP it would be this one. IMO it's as near perfect as you can get. I also agree wholeheartedly with what everyone has said about Bobby Whitlock. Why he isn't more well known baffles me. My best buddy and me used to listen to this LP religiously and both agreed that if we could change one thing about this LP it would be that we would've had Bobby sing the whole thing. EC's has turned out to be a great singer IMO but he wasn't a great singer when this was recorded. That might be a part of the charm tho. Still, when Whitlock does sing, he sounds amazing. Gordon and Radle are my favorite rhythm section by far and when you say Duane, well, that's all that needs to be said far as I'm concerned. EC was definately in the moment on this one. If this isn't the blues personified I don't know what is. I often tell people it's one of my favorite blues LP's and they say it's not a blues LP. Well maybe not in the tradtional sense of 12 bar blues shufffles and such but as far as emotion well, you can't beat it. Did I mention it's my favorite LP?

16. Seafoam Green

Seafoam Green Member

It's my all-time favourite album, and my favourite Clapton period. The songs, the playing, the emotion, the musicians, everything just seems to fit here.

I agree with the Whitlock comment - the guitar work gets all the press, and rightly so in many ways, but his contribution to the band is enormous.

If anything, I think this album is another great example of how Clapton (by his own admission as well) does his best work when pushed by others. With Duane on the guitar and Whitlock on the singing and songwriting, he had to man up and do the best he possibly could. And, IMO, did he ever. I love a lot of his stuff, been a fan for 25 years, but this, to me, is his finest hour.

17. m1911

m1911 Member

Layla is in my top 3 Albums of alltime....along with The Allman Brothers "Live at Fillmore East" and "Eat a Peach"....

This period is definately EC's best effort and best Band he ever played with.....The Delaney & Bonnie crowd....as well as those Mad Dogs & Englishmen....
    What a GREAT era of Music too.....Kids today (except for mine) have no idea what it was like to live then, when THIS was the "Popular" music of the day.

I understand why Clapton doesn't play with Carl Radle & Jim Gordon anymore, but I've always wondered why he doesn't collaborate with Bobby Whitlock? :confused:

I've always loved it during the opening of "Keep On Growing" where at end of the opening of the song, at exactly 21 seconds in, Bobby Whitlock Screams..."Whooooo!"
    NOTE: Not every copy has this little scream on the recording.

Also, check out Bobby here backing up EC on Vocals in a little "Call & Response" deal.......the good stuff starts at about 1 min. 9 sec. into the tune:

Then there is this Song....Always been my Favorite on this Album and one of the BEST songs EVER Written.

And if THIS Tune isn't about EC, George & Pattie, the I don't know what is.

18. lhallam

lhallam Member

Personally I think the arrangements have a lot to do with what makes this release more than just another album of love songs.

19. dlguitar64

dlguitar64 Member

As far as i am concerned that is his whole recorded output.

20. GulfportBound

GulfportBound Member

You'd be hard pressed to find many more albums with this much of what Murray Kempton once called "raw nudity of pain." Kempton was referring to Frank Sinatra's first recording of "I'm a Fool to Want You" (and he wasn't anywhere near wrong), but he could have been talking about Layla and Other Assorted Love Songs.

Eric Clapton's work with John Mayall (where he'd earlier had a remarkable enough turn on a live take of "Have You Ever Loved a Woman") was a floating quail single, Cream was a triple off the center field wall, and Blind Faith was an infield out, compared to this grand slam of feeling. It wasn't all strictly blues in form, but in conception and execution this was all blues in soul and spirit.