Lazy J 20 vs Red Plate CDS2

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Tehillah, May 8, 2016.

1. Tehillah

Tehillah Silver Supporting Member

Looking for some insight/contrast/comparison into these 2 amps from those who know- any thoughts? Thanks!

2. Tehillah

Nothing yet...?!?

3. TJNies

TJNies Supporting Member

The population that owns either isn't that expansive, let alone anyone who has owned both.

If you have any questions about Redplates, call Henry directly. He will discuss anything you need at length.

4. Tehillah

Yeah, I hear ya' regarding Henry, and had planned on eventually contacting him, but I was also interested in taking comments/perspectives from owners of either as well- Thx-

5. Crash-VR

Crash-VR Supporting Member

My impression is that they are completely different animals all together.

6. Tehillah

Did speak to Henry- had a nice chat- good guy- thx! Still wanting to hear from any LazyJ owners out there! Thanks.

7. warren3333

warren3333 Supporting Member

I've owned both and still own the Lazy J...

Completely dfferent amps altogether as Crash indicated.

The Redplates are an incredible amp. Still one of the best live sounds I ever had came from a Blackverb. I owned 4 CDS2s and had problems with 2 of them.... Nonetheless, versatile and will do the tweed thing, and id own one again...

The Lazy J is incredible, but nowhere near as versatile. Its the cleans I love. Slightly clipped, hinting at break up, with a compressed feel to them (to my ears at least). Mine was serviced by Jesse himself.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. jdh

jdh Supporting Member

Twice previously I told players to buy the Lazy J, and if they didn't like it then I would buy it back from them. For the third time the offer still stands. There is no question this will be your last amp. The CDS is a decent amp at full volume, but it has that solid state rectifier sound that limits full harmonic development. It is a different animal. The J20 gets that full rich on-the-edge overdrive that is so sought after. And it will do it a lower volumes. As you turn it up and overdrive the input it generates the most monsterous roar that is a fraction away from full self-oscillation, yet controllable with the right touch on the strings. The thing really comes alive as if it were a part of your own metabolism. Be advised you will pay top dollar and stand in line to get one.

9. warren3333

warren3333 Supporting Member

A perfect description and I agree 100%.