Lazy J vs Victoria vs Louis Electric

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by coolhand78, Apr 28, 2015.

1. coolhand78

coolhand78 Supporting Member

Contemplating a new amp and the moment the Lazy J is top of the pile but there seems to be none on the 2nd hand market at the moment and the wait and new prices are quite long. For those who've owned a lazy j and have experience with Louis or Victoria how would u say they compare?

I hate to judge on Internet clips but from what I've heard the lazy J just seems t have something quite special going on..?

2. saltydogg

saltydogg Rock & Roll Enthusiast Gold Supporting Member

I've had several Louis Electrics (still own two, with a third en-route) and currently own a Victoria 45410. I like them all....and I bet I'd like a Lazy J, as well....LOL.

Which LE or Victoria are you considering?

3. Guinness Lad

Guinness Lad Silver Supporting Member

Had Victoria amps, they are nice. Now own a Tungsten Creama Wheat. I like that it can run other rectifiers and 6L6's should I wish.

4. Groberts

Groberts Silver Supporting Member

I had a Tungsten Crema Wheat. Very good amp, but I liked the Victoria 20112 more. Imagine I would love a Lazy J!

I also had a Louis Electric Buster that was very good. But I was seduced to a more blackface amp with verb and tremolo ...2014 Carr Rambler.

But now that I have the Rambler, something like a Lazy J would be the ideal compliment!

5. Guinness Lad

Interesting? Why? I owned both also, I think the Tungsten has more range and upside for live use. The Victoria is more true to the 5E3 thing, but the Tungsten fixes a few things.

6. Groberts

My Victoria was actually a bit more full range sounding, Richer in the low frequency range where the Tungsten Crema Wheat was a little more midrange centric. Not a bad thing and both were killer amps. I just felt the Victoria 20112 was deeper and sweeter at low to medium volume. The Tungsten CW might have held together a bit tighter when cranked. Really splitting hairs between the two. Both are great and different flavors of a very similar amplifier basis (5e3)

7. Guinness Lad

I agree from what I remember. I don't want those qualities especially with this design. Makes for an amp that doesn't hold up at gigging volumes.

8. davebc

davebc Member

I've owned both the Victoria high and low power twins. The honeymoon is never ending Regal 2 with the tube flexibilty.

I still own about 4 Louis amps. If Authentic raw vintage tone is what you're after
    nothing comes close. Ballsiest tweed designs going.

I looked into the Lazy J's. They seemed very impressive; but for me, I just couldn't legitimize the price difference over the Vic's or the Louis.

9. coolhand78

not really sure to be honest. the Victoria Silver Sonic looks good. As does some of the older models, eg. victorilux..

reverb and trem are a must which kinda rules out LE from what i can see..
    the KR12 does look nice though...

10. riscado

riscado Member

I'd go with magic amps. Love their 5E3.

Doodlebum likes this.
  11. saltydogg

saltydogg Rock & Roll Enthusiast Gold Supporting Member

If reverb and trem are a must, that narrows the field down quite a bit. I these options offered in more Blackface designs, than tweed circuits (Silver Sonic is loosely tweed-based, no?)

I'd probably try the Victoria Victorilux.

12. coolhand78

as far as the victoria amps go those 2 (victorilux and silver sonic) are the 2 i'm looking at, hopefully i've found some people here in melbourne who have a lazy j and a victorilux so i might be able to go try them first...

13. Groberts

The Victorilux is a Very nice amp!

14. coolhand78

15. davebc

davebc Member

I went on a major Louis jag for years, probable owned 7 or 8, played other models all at
    his shop. I have 3 in the line up.

I've only listened to demos of the Lazy, which really blew me away.

I'd say these are very different amps. Yes, Lou bases many of his amps on a 59 tweed circuit.
    Anything KR12, Ferrarri, HS12 are 59 tweed Twin circuits,
    Only with serious raw authentic vintage BALLS.
    Using the Master volume and negative feedback you can definitely calmed them down and dial in a very vintage tone closer to the Lazy J.

There are 2 fantastic newer videos on Lou's site that are absolute required listening if you're considering a Louis Electric.
    The first is Arlen Roth demoing his Gattone.
    The 2nd is the new KR12 demo.

Another KEY difference is Lou's tweed design do not offer reverb unfortunately.
    Or it's a pretty hefty up charge.

If I'm not mistaken the J's do come with reverb, which personally I love, and they do sound absolutely phenomenal.
    Don't they also have a built in attenuator?
    But not cheap.

There's a pretty significant price difference.
    I mean near 4 for a J puts me in Longhorn zone!

16. davebc

davebc Member

While I'm getting long winded, I've also owned the Victoria High and low power tweed Twins
    BOTH phenominal!

And guess what??
    They didn't cost me 4 grand!!
    In fact, I bought both for 1200.00 each!!

Currently I'm enjoying a major extended honeymoon with my Victoria Regal 2!
    But that's another thread!

17. Stevo57

Stevo57 Supporting Member

I agree with you Davebc that the point of entry price on the LJ is high, but its not 4 grand. Lets not exagerate it any more than it already is. I have never played a Victoria so I will refrain from comment on that brand except to say, they are usually over or around 2K new?
    Dont seem to hold their value as well as the Louis or the LJ.
    I have owned a Louis Tremoverb. It was too big and way too loud before it broke up at all. Very cool looking in the trapezoidal tweed cab but just kind of uninspiring to play. I probably would have liked the KR12 more but I was only looking for tweed with reverb and tremolo on board. The LJ has it all in a small package and with the VAC control built in I can grind until the cows come home and not wake anyone up. I have never once regretted spending the extra money. The only other amp I've owned that people contacted me as much about buying it if I ever want to sell was the Bludo 70s I owned. I'm an incorigible tweaker and amp slut. I've tried 4 different speakers, every different rectifier, nos RCA 6V6s, and different preamp tubes. The only changes I made that stuck was to put an old Mullard 12ax7 in V1, and I like my tremolo slowwwww. Jamie advised how to change the capacitor to slow that down. I tried contacting Lou via email when I had the Tremoverb and had no luck getting a response.

18. davebc

davebc Member

Generally speaking, generally...many amps take a pretty serious hit in the secondary market in terms of depreciation.

But I doubt because the price point, limited production numbers, wait time, newness and buzz, you'll be seeming many preowned Lazy J's surfacing.
    From the demos, if I had one I doubt I'd been selling it.
    There is definitely something going on there under the hood that does separate the J from
    the pack.
    Legitimizing the price point is another issue.
    Are we referring to the lazy j 20?

19. ryhlick

ryhlick Supporting Member

All right, I will jump in here and give my .02 for what it is worth. I have owned a Lazy J20 for close to a year. Mine does not have the trem or reverb, but that is how I ordered it directly from Jesse. Mine was $2160.00 shipped from the UK, I don't know how this compares to DAG. I own a vintage 59 tweed deluxe, have owned 2 KR12's, Tremolux, Victoria's tweed deluxe, and several Clarks. One of the KR12's was amazing and the other one was a dog. The Victoria was good, but did not feel or sound as nice as the 59 or the Clarks. The Lazy J20 is an amazing amp, it feels and sounds fantastic. I have several other nice amps at the house and they do not get much playing time. If someone is in the market for a tweed deluxe style amp, I will guarantee you will not be disappointed with the Lazy J.

donden and Hilltopper like this.
  20. Stevo57

Stevo57 Supporting Member

I am referring to the Lazy J20 with Celestion alnico blue, reverb, tremolo, and VAC control. I can afford any amp I wish within reason but I totally understand why the price is prohibitive for many. I returned an Aether before I bought the J20.