Lazy

Manslick

Pics
DP MIJ 3.jpg
DP MIJ 2.jpg
DP MIJ 1.jpg

Last edited:

Manslick

I always wondered why this isn't one of the highlights people talk about with DP. It's my favorite of all their tunes. Past and present. Here's a spectacular version done by Joe Bonamassa.

Yeah this the vid I mentioned n the OP. They get the lick close but it's not exact.

I remember in the day when I tried to learn this and my buddy standing over me as I took the notes off a vinyl record at 16 RPM and him with eyes closed listening to me and shaking his head - no no.

59refin

If it makes you feel any better, I've been trying to learn that lick correctly since Machine Head came out. As I'm now 65, that wish may go unfulfilled. What kills me is seeing teenagers play it on Youtube but not giving enough of it away. I've learned stuff from Steve Howe to Steve Morse over the years and this Song is still kicking my a**. Minor pentatonic with some weird chromatic stuff in there. Crud.

fataxeman

Gold Supporting Member
I like all of the Deep Purple lineups, but man Mk. II was just a juggernaut!

Sabbath/Deep Purple are 2 of my all time favorite bands. Faced with a magical choice between the two, in their prime....I'd have to go with DP, but just barely.

Merrywoodsman

If it makes you feel any better, I've been trying to learn that lick correctly since Machine Head came out. As I'm now 65, that wish may go unfulfilled. What kills me is seeing teenagers play it on Youtube but not giving enough of it away. I've learned stuff from Steve Howe to Steve Morse over the years and this Song is still kicking my a**. Minor pentatonic with some weird chromatic stuff in there. Crud.
Yeah, there’s that tricky little bit with the flat 5 that trips me up. Doesn’t help that it’s in F either.

cram

This was a big song in my early learning on guitar. This groove is something of a simple framework, but the hop in playing for the guitar can be elaborated upon so well. The solo highlights the changes so well - playing through them.
I return to this tune often.

Have I gotten it exact - hell no.
I can carry it though and that's the point.

Manslick

Yes the whole vibe is still amazing to me, the live audience and the way it was captured by the recording crew is simply all perfect.

Chuckracer

Silver Supporting Member
Boy I listened to this and Machine Head a LOT in my youth, and listening again i see where some of my guitar vocabulary comes from. I could hear every note in my head and would...all day long.

cram

This Guitar World is trashed - the cover and first couple of pages are long gone. I used to take sections of this and loop them with a click. At first I always had problems making the main riff turn around swing through the C to F right before the solo kicks in. I just remember running that a lot.

Anyway, here's the writeup at the start of the sheet & tab:

... the thing is; it's not the bending and vibrato I'd call as what leads this tune or even playing it overall. These bends are tough, but doable and are isolated to the exclamation points of a phrase usually.
The hardest part to honestly sounding good with this on your own is getting the swing of this. You have to have a comfort in the changes and there has to be a HOP In your play. You can hear RB in the OP's Japan recording. There's another live recording on youtube which is wildly different.- lots of improv.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom