Lazy

Manslick

This Guitar World is trashed - the cover and first couple of pages are long gone. I used to take sections of this and loop them with a click. At first I always had problems making the main riff turn around swing through the C to F right before the solo kicks in. I just remember running that a lot.

Anyway, here's the writeup at the start of the sheet & tab:

Ha, use the ring finger. I always used my pinky. Wow - live and learn.
Thanks cram.

pak1001

Just to be clear, I LOVE Deep Purple. And...that is indeed an incredible performance by them of "Don and Dewey" by It's A Beautiful Day:

By the way, I always loved Deep Purple's performance of "Bombay Calling" by It's A beautiful Day except they called it "Child In Time":

ucnick

Silver Supporting Member
This Guitar World is trashed - the cover and first couple of pages are long gone. I used to take sections of this and loop them with a click. At first I always had problems making the main riff turn around swing through the C to F right before the solo kicks in. I just remember running that a lot.

Anyway, here's the writeup at the start of the sheet & tab:

... the thing is; it's not the bending and vibrato I'd call as what leads this tune or even playing it overall. These bends are tough, but doable and are isolated to the exclamation points of a phrase usually.
The hardest part to honestly sounding good with this on your own is getting the swing of this. You have to have a comfort in the changes and there has to be a HOP In your play. You can hear RB in the OP's Japan recording. There's another live recording on youtube which is wildly different.- lots of improv.

Yep. I used to play it years ago in a DP trib band. His playing is very fluid, which is difficult to imitate unless you specifically practice the lick.

As I recall, the lick changes from segment to segment during the MH version, and it mutates even more in the live recordings. I kind of picked up the first and second versions in the MH version and use those - during the initial quiet part it is subtly different from when it heats up (and it even varies during the first segment as well), differences escape me at the moment, but I just derived it from those two. I figure that RB would change it up, so fair for me to do so as well...

Manslick

Just to be clear, I LOVE Deep Purple. And...that is indeed an incredible performance by them of "Don and Dewey" by It's A Beautiful Day:

By the way, I always loved Deep Purple's performance of "Bombay Calling" by It's A beautiful Day except they called it "Child In Time":

This is amazing.

"It’s a Beautiful Day made no bones about it that they stole the tune from a Deep Purple recording of “Wring that Neck” – a payback to the band since Deep Purple stole their composition “Bombay Calling” for the song “Child in Time” from “Deep Purple in Rock.” “Wring that Neck” came from Purple’s second LP – “The Book of Taliesyn.” "

portobear

The '74 MSG show I caught was its equal. :)
Wow, I'm always extremely jealous of people who were lucky enough to catch Purple MKII or MKIII at their peak, must have been amazing!

I first saw them at Knebworth in 85. It was a dream come true, but in all honesty a bit of the magic was gone by that time.

Yeah, the timing on the MiJ version of Lazy is quite magnificent. As is the performance.

Blackmore and Lord needed Paice and Glover. But Blackmore's playing on this is almost impossible to emulate well. And Lord and Blackmore do a lot of unison and harmonised stuff all through MiJ.

MiJ is the best live rock album IMHO.

Jon Silberman

10Q Jerry & Dickey
Silver Supporting Member
Wow, I'm always extremely jealous of people who were lucky enough to catch Purple MKII or MKIII at their peak, must have been amazing!

I first saw them at Knebworth in 85. It was a dream come true, but in all honesty a bit of the magic was gone by that time.
It was amazing indeed! Just a great, great show. And not overly loud either, stereotypes notwithstanding. The Who concert I caught also at the Garden the same year, for example, was much louder.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom