LBM over the K. Fuzzhead?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Fatso Forgottso, Feb 3, 2008.

1. Fatso Forgottso

Fatso Forgottso Member

So I went to Long & Mcquade a couple days ago to buy my very first fuzz pedal. (I can't believe I haven't tried ANY yet!) And the only one they (apparently) had was the Keeley Fuzz head. So I was right about to ask the guy to get it down when he remembered that they had a used little big muff lurkin' around somewhere. So he went and got it, I plugged it in, and loved it so much I immediately bought it.
    Did I make a terrible mistake passing over the Fuzz head?

2. GTRJohnny

GTRJohnny Member

I had a Fuzzhead and it was a cool sounding pedal, but it was mostly an Overdrive/Fuzz for me. I found that I had overdrives I liked better and fuzzes I liked better. If someone wanted a combo in one pedal for space, I would go there. Otherwise, I think there are better separate pedals out there.

3. Lolaviola

Lolaviola Supporting Member

I think you see a lot of that "the Fuzz Head is an overdrive" responses whenever it is mentioned. I've had one for a year, and I would say that it's fuzzy fo' sure. It gets wonderful lo-gain fuzz, but it sounds as if you are using a fuzz as an overdrive, not necessarily LIKE an overdrive. I never like the sound of overdrive and I really like the Fuzz Head. The high gain sounds never cross the line into Big-Muff-style sustain (violin) when you're at bedroom volumes, but, and this is a big but, a loud amp will be forced to sing like a violin with the Fuzz Head on!
    :YinYang :YinYang :YinYang
    The Big Muff is pretty much the opposite of this pedal.

4. JUSTJOB

JUSTJOB Member

Yea, the FuzzHead is a fuzz, first and foremost. True, it can be used as an OD or distortion somewhat. But Lolavoila nailed it for sure and the FuzzHead sings so much better and sweet than many others at volume. It is a very versatile pedal, and is a constant go to on my board. It does sweet grinding rythm to sweet singing leads very well for me.
    Did you make a mistake passing it over? I don't know, maybe it won't work for you or your style, but you will never know untill you try one. Bye the way, it is VERY tweakable for taste and tone inside!
    And yea, the LBM is pretty much the opposite of the FuzzHead, but glad you like it!

5. forgivenman

forgivenman Supporting Member

I got a Fuzz Head a few days ago and I'm still not sure what I think about it. I've had two Muff's in the past and sometimes loved them and sometimes didn't. The Fuzz Head isn't as Fuzzy as I thought it would be and the tone knob is only accessible if you unscrew the back plate- I'm definitely not nuts about that. Having said that, it has some cool tones, and when I use it next to my modded TS9 I can tell a difference, but honestly not a big one. I think the Muff is a very cool pedal and if you like it enough to buy it on the spot, I'd stop second guessing your decision. Enjoy!

6. forgivenman

forgivenman Supporting Member

By the way, if you do decide you want a Fuzz head, I've got a mint one that I'm not in 100% in love with and would be happy to give you a fair price on. Shoot me a PM if your interested.