lead boost for my marshalls

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Flatcat, May 2, 2008.

1. Flatcat

Flatcat Member

Hey people,

I used to have an ecstacy but after recording I decided that only marshall had the tone that was in my head..

Only problem, the amps i have now aren't as versatile off course.

I play a JMP 2203 master volume and a JCM800 2210..

The JMP is my favourite as far as sound goes. Pre-amp on 10, master on 4. I'm not saying I don't have enough gain, but just a little more could be nice.

I also need to boost that JMP for my leads.

Then the JCM800 2210

This amp has more than enough gain but it also needs a boost for leads. I suppose with the amount of gain on that one a boost won't really have that much effect? Would it be the best thing in this case if I look for something like a mxr 10band eq to boost my mids?

Looking forward to your answers!

2. lifeinsong

lifeinsong Member

Xotic RC Booster...the perfect booster for your needs. Check it out!

prosoundcommunications.com

3. object47

object47 Member

old DOD 250s have always sounded great in front of marshalls...

4. cryptozoo

cryptozoo Member

I ditched all mine for a treble booster. AnalogMan Beano Boost, to be exact. Does alll the lead jobs with my 800, '74 Lead, '81 JMP, Reinhardt, you name it.

5. imguitardan

imguitardan Member

+1. Treble Boosters are great lead boosts with old Marshalls. Sounds like Slash.

6. rob2001

rob2001 Member

With the 800's i've had, just about any reccomended boost works pretty good. From TS's to Boss SD-1's, OD3's , and on to more pricey stuff. Essentially if your using them as a boost they all sound pretty good with slight variations. It's different if you are running the clean channel and using a pedal. Then the different pedals will react very differently. But I gotta say, after trying many boosts a good old Boss SD-1 or Ibanez TS9 is like peanut butter and Jelly for kickin a JCM 800.

7. yeahyeahyeah

yeahyeahyeah Supporting Member

If you are getting power tube saturation in your amp you are going to have a hard time getting a volume boost for leads with a pedal in front of your amp. You're going to get more drive and saturation, but not more volume unless you boost after the preamp.

8. 767400

767400 Member

Two words: Beano Boost! I have a Bluesbreaker and use a Honeybee with a Beano Boost and the sound is great.

9. dosmun

dosmun Member

If you have a loop a boost will work in the loop. If you don't then anything in front will just make it more dirty. UNLESS you take a pedal and turn the volume down and leave it on for you rhythm stuff and for a lead turn it off and it will bring the volume back up thus making it louder than your rhythm sound.

10. RockDC

RockDC Member

I use the BYOC Screamer. Its essentially the Keeley modded TS808 sound. Its perfect for boosting solos. I have a 1980 JMP MV 2204 and love it for that. If you would like more gain you may want to look into the 2204... although its not as loud it perceivably has more gain IMO. But I wouldn't trade the 100 watt 2210...2205's are kinda sterile to me.

11. jdandry

jdandry Member

The Boss SD-1 Super Overdrive is the classic 800 boost. Steve Vai and Zakk Wylde among others. Volume cranked, overdrive on 8 o'clock or so and tone at about 11 o'clock. Rips!!

12. stuagu

stuagu Member

keeley katana... gets my vote

13. Lolaviola

Lolaviola Supporting Member

...Which is why treble boosters work well, they provide a lot of level boost, in addition to the treble boost, which cuts better.

14. Cary Chilton

Cary Chilton Senior Member

I am a marshall guy, and I kept my vintage microamp, analogman mojo 741 mod for new dod yjm 308, vintage boss GE-10, maxon EQ, fix my duck Jfet boost. I recently picked up the abunai2 od pedal, the best and flattest sounding TS type pedal, works with a marshall nicely. I remember I started with boss OD-3, and in hindsight besides some coloring, it was a great starting point.

15. Julia343

Julia343 Member

I've tried a Sonic Stomp in my FX loop. Brings the tone right to the front. But then I'm just going by my ears which aren't that good anymore. Too much loud music when I was in my 20s.

16. Kapo_Polenton

Kapo_Polenton Member

BB preamp - a tad compressed but works for some lead tones, not a fav of mine for rythm. I find the xotic stuff very compressed.

Bad Monkey as a clean boost, this one works pretty well.

Boss BD-2 H20 modded, I just did this mod and I dig it with both my JCM800 and my Plexi clone.

Boss SD-1 can be good as long as the gain isn't cranked.

17. Rex Nomad

Rex Nomad Member

I've got a couple JMP 2203s and struggled with the volume boost thing for a long time. The answer for me was to mod the amp. For about $200 I had an additional Master Volume control added. I now have two Master Volumes to choose from operated by footswitch. Set one for rhythm and one for leads. It has zero effect on your tone. You are simply switching between one volume control or the other. This is basically what Marshall incorporated into the JCM 900 High Gain and SL-X amps that came later.

If you need extra sauce on top of the volume boost, use whatever dirt box you like.

18. rob2001

rob2001 Member

Just thinkin... if you need a volume boost, like others have said, you won't get much with the pre dimed. Just un-dime it a bit and leave some room for the boost.

19. amphead777

amphead777 Member

A treble booster and a Marshall. Can't get much better.
    You'll love it!

20. ToneJamFX

ToneJamFX Member

Obviously I'm a big fan of using an EQ for a boost.

Steve Stevens placed an order for an MXR 10 band Sniper EQ last week.
    Upon receiving it he let me know how much he likes it,and that it will be in his rack during the upcoming Billy Idol Tour!

Steve had also sent me a copy of his new cd Memory Crash. You should pick this one up. It's classic Stevens tearing it up!

http://www.myspace.com/stevestevensmemorycrash