• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Lead Boost Help

55goldtop

I am using smaller amps these days with no loop. I always had a built in boost on the amp, or an fx loop with a boost in it. My goal is to boost the volume of a clean or distorted sound for leads.

I can boost the volume of my clean sounds with a clean boost pedal like a diamond pedal I have, or an EQ pedal like a Boss one I have. When I have distortion going, either with a channel switcher with no loop like the fender super champ x2, or just pedal distortion with a clean one channel amp, I can't boost the volume with the boost or EQ pedals.

What am I doing wrong? How do I boost my distortion channel or clean channel with distortion pedal active to get a good volume jump for leads? :anon

Blix

Wannabe Shredder
Silver Supporting Member
With no loop you can't really boost the volume of your dist channel, then boost will only increase the gain. One trick is to use the eq to boost the mids so the lead will at least cut through the mix better.

55goldtop

Thanks. That's a bummer. I tried volume knob manipulation cranking mids on the EQ. Argh so frustrating. I had it all worked out with a loop for decades. Now this switch to single channel small amp-ness is throwing me. What do people do for medium gain loud solo boosts? I guess I have to go back to loop amps. The little no fx loop amps were gig perfect for me though.

8len8

Silver Supporting Member
If you search the forum you'll find a few threads on this subject. To boost the volume of a distorted amp (with no headroom left), here are the options:
- Boost pedal in the effects loop
- Use pedals in front of the amp for your distortion, and a boost pedal
- Use a 2 channel re-amper, like an Unleash or Ultimate
- Use a passive attenuator with an enable that can be remotely controlled
- Use a sound man

55goldtop

Thanks - it is the pedal for distortion in front, with a boost pedal in front for solos I'd like to use but have had no success.

phazersonstun

Have you tried the boost after the dirt pedal? Into a clean amp, you'll get more volume that way instead of just more gain.

55goldtop

Have you tried the boost after the dirt pedal? Into a clean amp, you'll get more volume that way instead of just more gain.
Hmmm, no because the boost and dirt pedal were one double unit. One made by diamond, but I forget which one. I'll try the EQ after a distortion pedal. Thx

55goldtop

What really confused me was why the EQ pedal boosts the clean channel but not the distortion channel. It threw me! Oh well - I knew it had to be something simple and order came to mind first. It was just the channel switcher confusion with one channel boosting great and one just getting gainier. Again many thx for the help. My gig got canceled because it snowed some here and I am trying to figure out this whole pedal/single channel/boost for solos thing. About to try the EQ after a distortion pedal on the old champ here.

55goldtop

The test setup worked like this. Many thanks. The channel switcher not working made me have doubt on the fx order but it is always that it seems for me. Loud boost all good and TGP saves me. Now more beer and cheap pedals through an old 59 Princeton.

phazersonstun

This is a bit of a blanket statement and depends just how dirty a given tone is but....

If you have a dirty tone from a pedal or an amp channel, hitting that with a boost before dirt equals more dirt.
Boosting it after the source of dirt equals more volume.

So if you're using a dirty amp channel and want just a level increase the fx loop is where you would put a clean boost because it's post dirt.

If you're using a clean amp channel with dirt pedals and want a level increase, after the dirt pedal is where you would put your clean boost.

PatrickE_FenderADV

Silver Supporting Member
When it comes to using second or an OD channel without a loop for solos, you have to set the volume higher and roll back the guitar's volume to 7 or so for your dirty rhythm sound, then dial it to 10 for your solos.

Roe

a treble boost or a koko boost in front of an amp that is breaking up can sound great. it should cut better in the mix as well

Last edited:

55goldtop

Gotcha. I wish I had some of those pedals to try. It just threw me to boost so well on the clean channel and not vhange the volume much on the gain channel. I am looking forward to trying my new setup next practice or gig. Thx

Trending Topics

Top Bottom