Lead Boost/ OD Pedal for a Budda?????

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by M@tt C, Feb 15, 2009.

1. M@tt C

M@tt C Supporting Member

I'm looking for something to give my leads a little more push when using the drive channel of my SD 30 set for a nice crunch. Normally I set the drive higher and control my gain with the volume knob of the guitar (usually my R7), but I've found that leads don't pop out as much as I would like with the volume full up.

I tried a Fulldrive 2 MOSFET and liked it in the comp cut setting, but felt I lost a little too much low end for my taste. I also tried an older Fat Boost, but it seemed like it brought in TOO much low end. Messed with a stock GE-7 in the loop, but it sounded "blah," plus the buffer in Boss stuff goofs with the bypassed signal in a way I don't like. I tried a Boosta Grande, and it was just ok. Kinda sterile sounding.

I messed with a Way Huge Pork Loin at GC yesterday (tele into an Egnater Rebel set on EL84 mode), and was impressed. I liked the tweakability of the pedal, but was wondering what else I should look into.

Thoughts, or suggestions??

2. eternally found

eternally found Supporting Member

OHHH! Glad you asked. I'm kinda doing the same thing with the Egnater Rebel, and I'm using an SHO to do that. What cool about it is that when your amp is breaking up, you only get a slight volume boost, and more natural breakup. It's wonderful! You should be able to find one for a pretty reasonable price, but if I only had one choice for an overdrive, I'd pick that pedal, and run my amp really dirty. Hope that helps! God bless!

3. AnthonyL

AnthonyL Silver Supporting Member

Xotic BB sounds great with my SD 30

4. dk123123dk

dk123123dk Member

5. reddog112

reddog112 Member

I had no luck with the Fulldrive 2 with my Budda either, I got a Barber LTD Silver and it worked well. I found that my SD30 liked transparent OD's, I also put a clean boost in the effects loop.

6. M@tt C

M@tt C Supporting Member

Well, I think I may have found what I was looking for......I picked up a Zvex Box of Rock today.

I played it thru my rig for about an hour, and was really, really impressed. The boost side worked great on either amp channel to pop the volume up a bit and add a little more dirt/ saturation, and with the distortion side set up as a light OD I got nice chimey dirt on the clean channel, and a really killer articulate and sustainy lead tone on the drive channel.

I noticed it had more bottom end compared the Fulldrive, and no mid hump at all. It wasn't as smooth or compressed, but in a good way. Very "unpedally" sounding.

Very, very cool little pedal!