Lead dress?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by scott1568, Jun 5, 2008.

1. scott1568

scott1568 Member

This may be the wrong forum, but I did look on others. For a less than intermediate DIY effects builder, where can I go to learn tricks on how to neatly wire up an effects box?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. WailinGuy

WailinGuy Member

Do you own any Barber pedals? I think they are built extremely well, with very neat layout and wiring. Maybe you could find a used one for a good price in the Emporium, and then use it as a model for how to build your own effects pedals.

3. emjee

emjee Member

check out the many images of monsterpiece pedals-lead dress is second to NONE.

MG

4. soulsonic

soulsonic Member

You can learn alot just by studying how other ones are put together. Just spend a few hours staring at some well-built electronics and you'll start to get the idea. Not just pedals either; you can learn as much (probably more actually) by studying the wiring in an old radio or whatever. When I was starting, I would spend alot of time dissecting old electronics to see how they were put together.

One thing I've learned is that it's much easier to make wiring look neat after you've finished the work. In other words, don't worry about neatness while your building; wait until you're done and then go through and tidy everything up. It's really easy that way. The trick there is to get all the correct lengths for the wires worked out ahead of time. The kind of wire used is also a factor; solid-core wire almost always looks neater because it will hold its shape to however you form it - but sometimes, solid core isn't an appropriate choice (like in a spot where wires will be flexed repeatedly), so you can't just automatically use a solid-core and assume it will be good. Taking the time to plan everything out will definitely make things easier.

5. bisticles

bisticles Member

Absolutely. Someone posted a picture of the guts of one of those a few days ago and I was amazed at how neat they were able to keep the wires. Looked like a subway map in there.

6. soulsonic

soulsonic Member

That's really easy to do with solid core wire.

The Monsterpiece stuff does look really neat, but my initial impression of the signal routing is questionable. When you have the wires tight against each other in parallel like that, you maximize the coupling between two adjacent wires. That can potentially be bad thing, but if you are careful about which wires are next to each other, then it can be okay. Since the pedal isn't a squealing mess, he's probably taken that into account, but someone looking to cop that routing style might be in for a nasty surprise if the physics isn't properly understood beforehand.

7. StompBoxBlues

StompBoxBlues Member

I'm not suggesting anything about that particular line of pedals at all (I've never played one) but though we tend to like neatness....sometimes that can be bad from a tchnical point of view. I'm sure they know this with those pedals and it isn't an issue, but sometimes neat lines (subway map-like) running all next to each other can cause undesirable artifacts...electromagneticly interfering with each other, as well as making many of the lengths longer than they need be.

On some applications more than others it matters. I would say a great example is the beloved Fuzz pedal. SO FEW components means each one matters more, and line lengths matter in this ultra-simple circuit. In a typical TS or OD, not so much since there are plenty of components, and all are already affecting so...it is a lot like if you run extra lengths of input cable to an amp, you want a buffer, and/or have to adjust EQ to make up the loss of highs..etc. Same here. Less components (like in a fuzz) mean each one contributes (or detracts) more to the sound.

I think...

8. soulsonic

soulsonic Member

@ StompBoxBlues:
    Looks like we have a hivemind thing happening here! ;)

9. emjee

emjee Member

Never ceases to amaze me the vast amount of knowledge I acquire here on tgp. Just because I never intend on becoming a builder some may ask why or how the above input benefits me. Its because, while it may be true that I will never attempt building any pedals, knowing the kind of info you all posted above helps the buyer, in his quest for quality.
    Another builder whose lead dress is simply impeccable is David Mains of D*A*M. I'll post a pic of which I speak shortly.

Matt

10. StompBoxBlues

StompBoxBlues Member

Yup! I posted mine and there was yours saying the same thing when it refreshed, but you beat me to it :AOK

11. emjee

emjee Member

[​IMG]

The D*A*M Fuzzaround, and direct replica of possibly the rarest manufactured fx pedal in the world, the Burns-Baldwin Buzzaround. Only 45 will be made.

12. scott1568

scott1568 Member

I saw a few gut shots of those and I was extremely impressed, thanks.

13. scott1568

scott1568 Member

Thanks, I though of that approach too, but thought of it as being backwards at first. Seems to make sense though. I have about four pedals to go back to and neaten up.