• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

Lead guitar / rhythm guitar

_MonSTeR_

Do you folks think that a guitar that can get the "best" lead tones is also capable of getting the best "rhythm" tones? Are the two mutually exclusive, or is a guitar with great tone, great in any situation? What about the difference between clean, overdriven and all out distorted?

To me it's just "guitar" and I play rhythm and lead interchangably on any gutar I play. I am presuming I have "good tones" either way, but this is of course, entirely subjective.

FLStratcat

I use the same settings for both honestly. I feel like you (generally speaking) just change how you play, not what and you can get both a lead and a rhythm sound from the same setup.

Dashface

A guitar that can get the best lead tones and the best rhythm tones? ...I guess you must mean the strat :D

treeofpain

Gold Supporting Member
There are so many DIFFERENT lead and rhythm tones. I don't think you can make a generalization about this.

Dave Wakely

A guitar that can get the best lead tones and the best rhythm tones? ...I guess you must mean the strat :D
A Tele does just as fine a job: mid position makes a wonderful rhythm tone. Flick either way for solos, depending on the Tele and the tune. Install a 4 way, and you get another fresh option.

(I don't play rock nowadays, although I didn't think LPs were as good as 335s for rhythm when I did. 335s are more versatile all round.)

jfwund

Silver Supporting Member
Yes to most of what's been said above -- it's not the guitar that gets the tones, it's the guitarist...

tsar nicholas

I use the same settings for both honestly. I feel like you (generally speaking) just change how you play, not what and you can get both a lead and a rhythm sound from the same setup.
^ Yeah, I think that just a change of attack and maybe a volume boost is the thing. That said, I don't think that my Rick 360 is the greatest "lead" guitar because of the tiny neck and low frets.

I'd pick something with two hottish pickups with independent volume controls. In my experience, semi-hollows are the move -- something like a 330 or a 335.

FrankiePRS

The only time i think it's an issue is when a relatively high-gain lead tone is used. That singing, saturated tone usually doesn't translate to a well-defined rhythm tone. MHO

_MonSTeR_

Just to clarify, I mean any one individual guitar, such as "my 1963 lake placid blue strat gives me the best lead tones but my original 54 sunburst is the best for rhythm" or "my 56 is the best for both lead and rhythm, whether clean or distorted"

Rather than "strats are best" ;)

Tone_Terrific

Silver Supporting Member
The best rhythm (and lead) sounds are pure acoustic, for some tunes. You will not get that from the best RnR 'lead' sounding guitar.
It's all in the gear, you have to figure out what you want and how to get it.

XmasTree

Slash has great tone...
he'll play chords on the bridge pickup, then he'll switch to the neck or in-between for solos...

.....pretty simple, i do the same.

Not to derail, but in my last band, when asked who was the lead guitarist, the other guitarist and I would turn and point at each other and say "He is!!!"

I think having a good solid tone for everything is the way to go, with pedals to nudge it either direction. I do like having rhythm sounds lower in the mix, and lead sounds to be super loud though.

Trending Topics