Lead12 Ministack head problems...

Discussion in 'Amps/Cabs Tech Corner: Amplifier, Cab & Speakers' started by marshninja, Aug 25, 2006.

1. marshninja

marshninja Member

I turned on My Lead12 head yesterday and not a sound would come out... It urned the gain knob a little and it fired to life... Played good for the rest of the day. Today, it powers up, but no sound what so ever... I removed the chasis and the internal fuse is good... I guess I should start with a check of the Gain pot? Will they go bad? Or does anybody think this could be a bigger problem?

2. Smokin Tone

Smokin Tone Member

Check the solder connections on all of you jacks and pots. They are probably mounted right to the pcb and one may have broken. Use a lighted magnifying glass if you have one as it will make it easier to see. I would also get some contact cleaner ( the fast dry no residue type) and spray in the pots and jacks as well while you have it apart.

3. rockon1

rockon1 Member

I have an old Marshall Lead 30 ? SS and the gain pot on it has cuts out completely a couple of times. The 2 times its done it Ive been able to spray some contact cleaner(radio shack) in it and get it working for quite a while.

4. marshninja

marshninja Member

Thanks Guys,

I will check it out.. I thought it might be the guitar, but my son brought his amp over and it plays fine...
    It does look as though the gain pot has been replaced before

5. hasserl

hasserl Member

6. brad347

brad347 Member

REally?? Wow... this is contrary to what i've heard. I was going to clean the original ICAR pot on my '67 vox wah and I was instructed to use a 'cleaner only... NOT cleaner/lubricant."

Should I go back and hit it with DeOxit? What are the ramifications of using a cleaner only in a pot?

Sorry for the threadjack but I want to save this wah... I love it!

7. hasserl

hasserl Member

Accelerated wear of the wiper/resistor element in the pot. All pots wear and eventually will wear out with use. Lubrication reduces the wear and prolongs the life; cleaning with contact cleaner will shorten the life of the pot by removing the lubricant. It may clean up and sound good for awhile, but it's life span will be shortened. Use DeOxit and it will last much longer.

8. brad347

brad347 Member

thanks. I'll de-oxit that beast RIGHT NOW.

9. rockon1

rockon1 Member

Had to go look! My radio shack stuff says cleaner/.lubricant. Cool.