Leaning toward the darkside..line6

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by 6Tones, Jun 19, 2005.

1. 6Tones

6Tones Supporting Member

Yes Im getting more tempted to picking up a new line6 amp,flextone 3 or the vetta
    Ill give some reasons why Id like one,and maybe you can reply and nay or yay me to getting one ..

Current amps that I own are
    Bogner shiva head
    VHT super30pitbull combo
    Peavey classic30

Past tubeamps that I had n sold that I can remember off, Traceelliot speedtwin head,Buddah head(to loud for me lol) a newer Traynor 2x12 combo, Mojotone tone machine 1x12 combo

I know alot of you would never go solidstate but for those who have played line6 stuff what was your impressions.
    Does it give you the ability to have a distinct tone or are they boxed in impressions of "standard" guitar tones?

What attracts me the line6
    No tubes to die on me at a gig
    I can leave most of my pedals at home
    Metal to country to jazz tones..
    Direct recording
    The ablility to edit on the pc the patches( this boggels my mind!,Im not that pc savvy so this worries me if this would be useful though)

ok so what are the line6s bad points?

2. Profklamen

Profklamen Member

I have a Vetta upgraded to 2.0, and a collection of 25 - 30 tube amps that I've compared it to. Vettas are remarkable amps, they set a new level of versatility, they sound great, and have more power than any other amp I've played. to really use the amp to its fullest you must read the manual and carefully tweak the sounds, since the factory settings suck. Compared side by side with vintage marshalls and fenders there is always a difference, though not a great difference, if the Vetta is carefully adjusted.

I've learned alot about amp sounds by using the vetta, adjusting and comparing different internal voicings. In all, I consider it an incredible amp for someone who wants all the sounds and can follow the manual (it's not hard).

Having said all that, truthfully, I don't play my Vetta much and I am considering selling it. This isn't a criticism of the Vetta, I have 20 other amps that I don't play much including boutiique amps and vintage Marshall and Fenders. I am a hobbyist that only plays at home and work. I don't gig and I don't need easy access to hundreds of sounds. I find that I end up using either my 68 Twin Reverb, a Roccaforte modded Marshall, or a VHT 45 for 98% of my playing.

3. 6Tones

6Tones Supporting Member

Thanks for the input,do you tweak the sounds on the amp or do go through your pc to edit?

4. Profklamen

Profklamen Member

I tweak on the amp itself. There is a great amount of control of the sounds on the amp itself. Once you know how to do it, it is fast and easy.

5. whitehall

whitehall Member

Welcome to the future, line 6 makes great stuff. Modelers keep getting bigger and better. Tube amps keep getting smaller . Come to the summer Namm and see for yourself.

6. ToneLounge

ToneLounge Guitar Maker Silver Supporting Member

I gig every week with a Flextone III Plus rig (combo w/112 ext.) and love it. I recommend picking a couple of amp models and use them with one cab model - essentially creating a channel switching amp. Sticking with a single cab model will keep you in the mix better.

I love the delay, compressor, and modulation effects - the entire rig is very convienient!

7. 6Tones

6Tones Supporting Member

How does the line6 amps sound with other pedals? say a Fulldrive 2 and the like?

8. slowburn

slowburn Supporting Member

After messing with a few flextones and spiders at the local guitar center, I realized that I am the type of person that would spend more time tweaking instead of playing, and I'd rather be playing. with that in mind, I'd be all over a line6 model that did the following:

modeled 1 amp well. no effects, save reverb. specs would be as follows:

1x10 or 1x12 combo
    volume, drive, reverb, tone (or separate bass, mid, treb)
    have it be digital model of a really good classic tube amp,
    OR I'll throw line6 users a bone and have a 3way toggle switch to flip between "50's champ", "18watt marshall", "princeton reverb" or something like that. basically a really bare bones spider, but with the looks of a flextone.

this probably makes all you line6 players cringe, since it flies in the face of everything line6 is trying to do, but alas, I'm strange this way.

9. tacorivers

tacorivers Silver Supporting Member

I have the Atomic/POD setup, and its great! For $500, I have a number of usable guitar tones with convincing tube amp feel. Great for a home studio.

10. tonemandan

tonemandan Member

I went to a club where a very well known local player was performing last weekend. He was playing through a DMA ( Yamaha I think ). His playing was amazing but his tone was for sh!t. I haven't heard one yet that doesn't sound artificial. I know they are improving all the time but as far as I'm concerned you should stay with the tube amps!

If you are looking for basically one great amp tone you REALLY don't need a DMA. It seems to me their advantage is the ability to program a lot of different types of tones.

Don't give in to the dark side Luke.......

Dan

11. slowburn

slowburn Supporting Member

I bet you no one else in the crowd (with the exceptions of guitar players) noticed his tone whether it was through his DMA or whether it was through a 65 princeton reverb.

12. Baba

Baba Supporting Member

I don't know, but I'm not sure if you'd want to do this. If you like to use pedals, you'd probably get a better sound out of a clean amp like a Fender and the like, DMA's have their own personalities, that would probably mask the sound of a drive pedal a bit.

13. guitarmook

guitarmook Member

I've not played a modeler yet that models the feel of digging in hard on a tube amp already near breakup... and I like that feel.

All of the modeler amps I've heard in clubs have had trouble cutting through the mix, especially on solos... I don't know if it's a function of the availability of effects that muddy the tone, or the inability of the user to set and use a decent solo boost, but the reason I think it's the amp is that I've also seen many players w/ Marshall/Fender/Mesa, and pedalboards that have no trouble cutting through the mix. I can't believe that only the modeler players don't know what they're doing, while the tube players have it all figured-out.

:D

14. John Phillips

John Phillips Member

I think you'd be surprised. I think non-guitar players may notice the difference more, because they're not listening so much to the notes, or whether the guitar sound is 'like' the real amp it's supposed to be - they just hear the overall texture of the sound, which is IMO where the digital stuff falls down.

I have actual evidence of this from a girl I nearly managed to pick up at a gig ;).

15. ExtraStrength

ExtraStrength Member

I own a Vetta upgrade to 2.03 and think the concept is great. However, I recently ran a post on the difficulties I have faced trying to use the amp in a band setting. I am still absorbing the information posted and you may want to browse this thread Vetta – Live Use=Frustration – Please Help! . I have done a lot of tweaking with the Vetta to date, and I am not sure how much more I want to do.

Currently, I am using real amps when I gig, with an XT Live functioning soley as a front end effects processor, tuner and wah. Sonically, I have no troubles with this set-up.

When I see other guitar players using modeling devices live, I believe their tone is adequate, but most seem to have a hazy (unclear) quality to their guitar sound. The best I have heard with the Vetta was Niel Geraldo with Pat Benetar, but that was a TV broadcast on CMT and you can bet they mixed that before it went to video tape. So it is probably not representative of the true live sound anyway.

16. tonefreak

tonefreak Member

I'm a big fan of Line 6 and using their products for live applications.

I used to use the original POD on these 70's Funk/Classic Rock gigs. Plugged straight into the PA and had a monitor in front of me... perfect.

Is it the best tone... heck no! Does it matter? Depends on the gig. I've used the POD and my 'real' rig on these gigs... not one person ever mentioned how great my tone was with either of the rigs. I did get compliments on my playing using both rigs.

So I decided, since it really doesn't matter, I'm bringing the POD... sets-up and breaks down fast, save my back, and I have a good time playing.

17. Dirty Dan

Dirty Dan Member

I own a line-6 flextone III and a boss gt-6. I love the flextone III for several reasons, most of which aren't applicable to your situation. For me, it can't be beat for practicing. I live in an old apartment and am wary of creating too mcuh noise, esp. early in the morning or late at night. The range of sounds is also great. I don't have space for multiple amps or long pedal board chains. The flextone does a decent enough job for me of covering a wide spectrum of sounds. Does it nail them all perfectly? No, of course not. But, given my circumstances, it gets the job done. the other great thing about it is the computer interface. It's pretty straight forward and really opens up an ability to tweak the sounds a bit. On the flip side, it's easy to sit there for hours trying different head/ca/bmic models to tweak your sound.

If you're looking to cover a lot of different sounds in one gig, it may be the way to go. I have a friend who uses one of the pods (not sure which)with the short board (I think) and sends that to his mesa/boogie amp when he gigs. He has managed to get some really nice tones when I've seen him play and cuts through the live mix without any problem.

I think a lot of it comes down to needs and personal tastes. I don't like having a lot of stomp boxes and pedal boards and such. I like the simplicity of having one board for volume, wah, effects and model switching. I liek the variety of sound for the price and size. Would I use my flextone as much if I could play a tube amp at a good volume? Probably not. I'd most likely use the gt-6 for effects and let the amp do its thing. But, given my situation, I'll stick with the flextone for now. I think line-6 has done a pretty good job with the sound and with the interface on it.

18. :(

Don't go Anakin! I tried, just bundled everything up
    MIDI cables and all and calling it quits.

There are a thousand reasons to try it out, I got a
    lot of use out of it. I'm sure like a lot of you I sit
    with the computer media player hoping from U2
    to the Scorpions, with this amp you can nail the sound
    in the song quite well.

Here's where I part with the crowd. Aside from twidling
    around in the house, I have great guitars Les Pauls,
    ES-335, vintage strats and the subtle tone differences
    in those guitars is not inherent in the Line 6, I have
    (had, selling) the Flextone II.

I have a '72 Twin Reverb and Gerlitz amp and the best
    sign about these things is when my girlfriend (recording
    artist too) clapped when I moved it by the door, placing
    ads on Craigslist.

I can go into much more detail and there's a crowd (growing)
    who love mod amps, but eventually, like beer drinking,
    Busch and Miller Lite start to taste like ****.

Harp, Guiness, Bass, for some reason keep my appeal.
    Follow your feelings Luke.

19. Dirty Dan

Dirty Dan Member

There's a good point here. While my only current amp is a lin 6, this is largely out of convenience. But, the bottom line is nothing can really touch a good tube amp. It seems to be everyone's opinion.

So, while 2 for a dollar bud nights are great when you're on a budget, it's not the same thing as a good microbrew or Harp or Bass. What has to be weighed is the cost-benefit. And that is something unique to each situation.

20. AndyZ

AndyZ Member

I'm sure you'll get a cross mix of opinions here. Feel free to stop by my LIne 6 usergroup site for some truely fanatical users. You will get some feedback from those really not happy as well, but the point would be to get all the feedback you can. I also have a patch database there with 1000's of patches you can try out. Tweaking takes no more than a few minutes once you know how to move around. Not much more than using a tube rig, with pedals in front of you.

I myself have a Vetta II HD, Flex III, PODxt Acosutic Variax and Variax 500. For live the majority of the time I run my PODxt into 2 Atomic 1x12's. I have a tube gear too and use what is best for the job on hand.

As far as cutting through the mix, it doesn't matter if it's digital or tube, you have to EQ the proper settings for the situation. 9 out of 10 times when someone says that, it's due to improper EQ for the guitar, band, club, song, etc...

I've been using Line 6 since 1999 and have not had failure one since with any piece of gear of theirs. For flexibility it can't be beat!

My site... http://www.instituteofnoise.com