Learning bass ... don't want to play guitar anymore!

PRW

Posted on one of the boards here a while back about my search for a bass to learn how to play to be the backup bassist (for my son, who has to work sometimes on Sunday) in the worship band at church. I picked up a Hofner Contemporary Violin Bass (the one with the German parts) for a very good price and have been woodshedding to get my chops sufficiently dialed in.

And I've not touched a guitar during that time period.

I'm finding that I enjoy playing bass a lot more than I enjoy playing guitar, I'm starting to think like a bassist, coming up with bass lines in my head, getting acclimated to bass fingering and getting the hang of filling in the bottom as part of the rhythm section. And it's coming to me a whole lot easier than the guitar ever did, it's like at 60 years old I've found a niche that I never envisioned before because I never really had done anything but mess around a little on bass.

This happen to anyone else?

bob-i

I find that I enjoy both equally.

I started playing bass in HS so I could be in a band that already had 2 guitars but no bass. I stopped bass after HS but a few years ago a friend asked if I knew a bass player who could fill in with his band, his bass player had to work second shift. I said yes, me. I borrowed a bass cab, pulled out my old MM bass head, and assembled a parts bass. One gig turned into 2 then 3 and then the bass players second shift turned full time so I probably played about 50 gigs.

I watched a ton of YouTube bass lessons, practiced everyday and learned a lot. Now that my fill in gig is over (the bass player went back to days) I really miss it.

jkendrick

OP, what resources did you use to make your transition. Books, Truefire courses, YouTune videos, etc.? I doubt I’d go to full time bass, but I’d like to be better at bass. Right now I sound like a guitar player playing bass. Or maybe I’ve just heard too much Phil Lesh.

RupertB

Silver Supporting Member
We trade off playing bass (I take most of the first set) and I freakin' love it. Building a new skill set & new perspective on the material we play. :rockin

PRW

OP, what resources did you use to make your transition. Books, Truefire courses, YouTune videos, etc.? I doubt I’d go to full time bass, but I’d like to be better at bass. Right now I sound like a guitar player playing bass. Or maybe I’ve just heard too much Phil Lesh.
Just like I started off on guitar, playing along with records.

The bass part to "Help" is a very good exercise, it sounds simple but is really a little tricky and takes you all over the first seven frets on multiple strings.

ahhlou

I consider myself lucky to get the opportunity to do the odd guitar gigs and bass gigs. That along with playing sax in concert bands keeps me always motivated to learn.

Keep your options and opportunities open...

I started on bass before moving to guitar. Learning bass, and the role it plays, to me, is a very worthwhile endeavor. You can always sort of tell the difference between a guitarist who also knows how to play bass in a band and a guitarist who is playing the bass.

JAP09

Silver Supporting Member
Every time I have to play bass I’m always thinking how I’d much rather be playing guitar lol. Being a competent bassist is a necessity if you want to have gigs, so I’ve tried to keep my chops polished enough to handle the bass gigs that pop up.

OP congrats on trying something new, glad you’re enjoying it!

ToneGrail

I love playing bass much more so than guitar. It's just that playing bass lines while singing is much more of a challenge than strumming chords.

standard24

I took one bass lesson from a very serious bass player. He recommended a book written maybe one hundred years ago. It was way more detailed and complex (and expensive) than I was interested in pursuing. I kinda wish I'd stuck with him.

AL30

If you're good at bass, you will have bands contacting you.
If you have a bass and a car, bands will likely be contacting you also. Bring extra cash to your first few gigs so you can get into the club.

PRW

I belong to Talk Bass.

Wasn't looking for playing tips with my question. Was just wondering if anyone else here ... I realize this is a guitar-centric forum, although last I heard bass counted as "gear" ... had similarly discovered after picking up a bass that "maybe this is where I should've been directing my efforts all along."

J.Eric B

Great recommendation!
There is a really good group of people there.
Isn’t this The GEAR Page? A bass is a guitar. A bass guitar. Personally, I’m enjoying this thread. If anybody isn’t, there are lots and lots of other threads.

stevenymets

Brother played rhythm guitar forever (is a very solid player) and sang in a number of successful bands over the years, then relatively soon after college switched to bass when his friends and he couldn't find a bass player for their new band. Never looked back. He loves bass and became really solid as well. He would play maybe one song per gig on guitar but much preferred bass.

Our bass player is relatively new to it, but is very solid, and he can sing and play harmonica with a yolk as well, very talented bloke.

Devnor

My area has a huge glut of bassists. If you can't sing & play well and look good doing it, nobody with any potential is calling. An open jam might have 7 or 8 bassists on the list, it's crazy now. After 5 years in the cover band rat race, I'm back to playing guitar in my own band, looking for bassist. Something I should have been doing long ago. Many of these guys want to step into the perfect situation and I get that. Lots of people moving here thinking they are going to get picked up simply because they play the bass, it no longer works that way.