• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Learning songs to a metronome

Jolwa9

I watched Pat Metheny do this at NGW a few years ago and it seemed like he played this tune for 15 minutes without repeating a chord or lick. This is much shorter. Gives you an idea of what can be done with a simple click.

Neat!

critter74

Silver Supporting Member
One trick I learned from a friend of mine who is a jazz and classical pianist: play it much much slower than you plan to. As in practice it at 40 to no more than 50 BPM. The point is to work on the muscle memory. As someone already posted- speed is not something you work up to. It's a result of familiarity and precise execution.

Anytime you learn a new style or technique, it's going to be like learning basic chords again. You hands and fingers are playing soemtjmg they have little to no muscle memory for. But just as you could now strum "Cowboy" chords at 160 BPM and not even think twice, the same will happen with any new technique you learn. But start slow. Very very slow.

Jolwa9

One trick I learned from a friend of mine who is a jazz and classical pianist: play it much much slower than you plan to. As in practice it at 40 to no more than 50 BPM. The point is to work on the muscle memory. As someone already posted- speed is not something you work up to. It's a result of familiarity and precise execution.

Anytime you learn a new style or technique, it's going to be like learning basic chords again. You hands and fingers are playing soemtjmg they have little to no muscle memory for. But just as you could now strum "Cowboy" chords at 160 BPM and not even think twice, the same will happen with any new technique you learn. But start slow. Very very slow.
Lately, I've just been slowing down the tempo of the song in Audacity and trying learn a song that way because I figure i can get the rhythm down better from listening to the song and trying to replicate by ear. I might start using a metronome to a song after ive got it down, so i can check myself for consistency.

guitarjazz

Lately, I've just been slowing down the tempo of the song in Audacity and trying learn a song that way because I figure i can get the rhythm down better from listening to the song and trying to replicate by ear. I might start using a metronome to a song after ive got it down, so i can check myself for consistency.
Sometimes sheet music has tempo markings too.

GLB98

I've found that learning something to the metronome is very often beyond me. So I do like you, get a feel for playing with the song slowed down. But too often I find myself cheating, not being absolutely solid on what I should be doing. Playing it with the metronome is the real test of whether I really have it. I always resolve to move to the metronome earlier in the process.

By the way - I know audacity works ok for slowing things down, but you owe it to yourself to try Transcribe on a 30 day trial - the interface is soooooo much better, quicker & easier to use, and with some really helpful features beyond slowing things down.

guitarjazz

By the way - I know audacity works ok for slowing things down, but you owe it to yourself to try Transcribe on a 30 day trial - the interface is soooooo much better, quicker & easier to use, and with some really helpful features beyond slowing things down.
Yes, yes, yes. Throw out the abacus.

Jolwa9

I've found that learning something to the metronome is very often beyond me. So I do like you, get a feel for playing with the song slowed down. But too often I find myself cheating, not being absolutely solid on what I should be doing. Playing it with the metronome is the real test of whether I really have it. I always resolve to move to the metronome earlier in the process.

I'll try it out. Thanks!

Top Bottom