• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Learning to shred: Any news on Cracking the Code?

Stig Ø

I saw episode 1 of season 2 of CtC in late August, if memory serves. So far in my 25 years of playing I've never found any teaching materials that get to the important bits of getting your technique together when it comes to single-note picking technique.

For those of you that don't know of Mr. Grady, I've written kind of summary on my blog.

For those in the know: Any news on the next episode? Does anyone know if Troy hangs here on TGP? I'm guessing he wouldn't have time, but I could be wrong.

Cheers

frdagaa

Silver Supporting Member
Interesting. Might see if I can apply some concepts he brings up, even though shred ain't for me.

Stig Ø

Update: Cracking the Code is now, er, updated. The new episode completes the investigation into Yngwie Malmsteen's picking technique: http://youtu.be/iUcHE9ZxjHc

I'm not affiliated with Troy Grady, but I think he might be on to something very interesting.

buddastrat

Yes. I was a big Yngwie fan growing up and most guys into that, know that stuff. It's a bit like the gypsy jazz approach, but for rock. I've posted a lot on that here, even years ago. I don't think there's any code cracking, as it's easy to watch and see how he plays it. But he put a nice presentation together in a humorous tho' cheezy kinda way.

straycat113

Boy I can remember being that fanatical about learning passages and how many times the issue was the tab that came with the instructional tape was wrong. For the OP I am sure you have enough skill and information to breakout now on your own, or you are going to wind up like this guy playing other peoples solos note for note in your basement in your forties lol. yngwie, Morse, Gilbert and other great pickers just take things on their own and change them up. About two years ago I had bought a UK magazine (my favorites by a longshot but expensive at $15 a pop) and there was a huge section with Paul Gilbert where he changed up and started every phrase with an up stroke. In another mag I had which had Steve Vai's crazy practice routine when he was young he stated he would play all his scales and lines starting on a downstroke and then an up-stroke and also on different fingers so he would not have any weaknesses. I admit picking is one of the most if not the most important aspect of playing incredibly fast and very few instructional tapes would have whoever was doing it show you the best way to pick. A big reason is because mostly none of these guys think about it! And for a pretty lengthy time I let it get in my head where I was consciously thinking about picking and it screwed up my mechanics. It got to the point I was asking every teacher in my two friends who own guitar shops how would they pick a passage and they thought I cracked up lol. But the answer was 95% of the time "I don't know because I never thought of it". Another pearl of wisdom I got from Paul Gilbert who I think is as great a teacher as a player is that a lot of guys who aren't there yet speed wise, should look at the fretting hand as it is most likely not up to par as both hands have to be in sync. Shred is not my forte but we all like speed so I still work on some 80's chops to challenge myself. That was pretty interesting though and I can see it benefitting a lot of guys. I have to say that dude is seriously determined lol.

djdrdave

Interesting thread. I think the combination of the 2 troys, Grady and Stetina could take one very far.

Stig Ø

@Straycat113: Hey, I'm in my forties, but I'm in the attic, not the basement. Still working on getting the solos right, though :) Interestingly enough, I've actually diagnosed my fretting hand as the main problem. The thing is- I'd never known that If I hadn't started working on this stuff again. Truthfully I almost never think that fast stuff sounds any good. Well, Yngwie sounds good, I think, but it's not my style of music at all. It's actually the small things like better timing and tone, less blatant clams etc. that's the real benefit, in my view. Also, it gives me something to do on the instrument when I'm too tired from work to be creative. At least you're doing something meaningful, and not just watching tv.

@djdrdave: Haven't heard of mr. Stetina, but thanks for the tip

gearmeup

This is hilarious. Seems like every three months someone posts a thread about this.

Either people know how to shred and just aren't saying or no one knows. Shhhhhhhhhhh it's the former.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom