• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

Least Expensive Worthy Gibson?

edwardsforest

All this talk on here about Gibsons has made me want to know which les paul model is the best but least expensive....
my knowledge on gibson models/quality and history is pretty short, so I am looking for help..

GCDEF

Silver Supporting Member
If I were buying a new Les Paul, it would be a Traditional.

AshlandBump

If you didn't specify Les Paul, I'd recommend the SG Classic in a heartbeat. Still might be worth considering, I love mine.

jpage

Never played a Vintage mahogany, but I've had my 20 year old Gibson Les Paul Studio for every one of them. The only piece of gear I've ever had for that long. The 490 series pickups are a great match for it too--I swapped them out and tried a million different ones in there and nothing comes close to the originals IMO. I have owned several R8s and an R9 in the past 20 years and while those are damn pretty and phenomenal guitars, I wouldn't ever say the tone they have is "better"--just a 'different' flavor of Gibson Les Paul goodness.

Always play guitars before you buy them. Always. I'd recommend playing a real Gibson side by side with some of the copy guitars, but I'm not sure you can do anything but mail order those. There are some great Epiphones out there, but IMO don't hold a candle to a real Gibson Les Paul.

donnievaz

Never played a Vintage mahogany, but I've had my 20 year old Studio for every one of them. The only piece of gear I've ever had for that long. The 490 series pickups are a great match for it too--I swapped them out and tried a million different ones in there and nothing comes close to the originals IMO. I have owned several R8s and an R9 in the past 20 years and while those are damn pretty and phenomenal guitars, I wouldn't ever say the tone they have is "better"--just a 'different' flavor of Les Paul goodness.
I picked up my Vintage Mahogany for $600 used and love it.

jimmyohio75

Just put a VM in worn brown in layaway at GC. It played so sweet I can't get over it!! I would say try to snag one of these beasts. You can get a good used one for under $700!!! The BUrstbuckers alone are worth $230

Tyguy7

I have the Vintage Mahogany and it is absolutely the greatest guitar I've ever owned. It sounds Phenomenal. Guitar center can drop the price like mad too, I got mine for $450 at CG and Its been the best buy I've ever made. It plays and sounds like a dream. Better than most les pauls I've tried.

jeffwith1f

depends what you personally consider worthy.
Check out a Studio. if that's too low rent for you, check out a Traditional or a Standard.

if you wanna save some bucks, check out the used Standard market. If you really wanna save $$$ check out the used Studio market.

hacker

The VMs are real nice sounding guitars-I like the BFG as well, with the P90 in the neck. The Melody Makers sound real sweet too.

Roodyrocker

I have a Gibson Les Paul Studio in Blue Teal Flip Flop which I picked up used off E-Bay a couple years back. It surprised me by playing very well and sounding even better! I was expecting less just because it was a Studio but this thing proved me wrong. The pickups in it had been changed before I got it so I swapped in my own. Based on that experience I'd have to say consider a Les Paul Studio.

webe123

The LEAST expensive les paul is a Gibson Les paul special SL (SL stands for sans lacquer- a way Gibson finished these les pauls because it had a quicker drying time than the regular way of putting on several coats.)

You can find them used on ebay. They go from around $600.00 to $800.00

Those also have a carved top and two tone and two volume controls as well as two humbuckers, sometimes you can get a good deal on these if you look.

Here is one on fleabay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/GIBSON-LES-PAUL...5|66:2|65:12|39:1|240:1318|301:1|293:1|294:50

Trending Topics