Leaving guitars in garage during winter

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Rotten, Jan 29, 2012.

1. Rotten

Rotten Silver Supporting Member

OK, I live in San Diego so we might see 40 degrees at night every now and then. Still, I like to leave my guitars on stands so that I can just pick 'em up and play. Any problems doing that during winter? They are all solid body guitars.

2. EADGBE

EADGBE Member

Yes. How cold does it get and how hot does it get? Extremes can really mess a guitar up. Ideally guitars like about 72 degrees and 45% humidity.

3. Jedi

Jedi Member

What? A better idea would be to keep them on stands in the house. Unless, you like making constant truss rod adjustments.......

4. Gizmo123

Gizmo123 Member

Even worse is the humidity. Since you are worried about the temperature, I would think humidity (or lack of) would be a problem as well. I just checked and the current humidity in San Diego is 17%. Good luck with that!

5. bloozetubes

bloozetubes Member

don't leave a guitar anywhere you wouldn't stay yourself

40 degree garage/trunk of car
    100 degree garage/trunk of car

6. mwhy

mwhy Supporting Member

7. your name here

your name here Supporting Member

This.

I've always said the same thing...

8. Chiba

Chiba Gold Supporting Member

40 degrees ain't winter :)

Seriously, though - low humidity is more dangerous to your guitars than low temperature.

After all... trees survive winter, don't they?

9. theaxedoctor

theaxedoctor Member

Low humidity can absolutely ruin a guitar. The first thing you may notice are frets protruding on either side of the fretboad, which occurs as the fret board shrinks. Acoustic guitars particularly may develop cracks in the top. Even within a house, instruments should always remain in a room with a consistent humidity level.

10. twoheadedboy

twoheadedboy Member

A good rule of thumb is to treat your guitars like people. Never put them in an environment that would be physically uncomfortable for a person.

11. twoheadedboy

twoheadedboy Member

Trees don't have to maintain a particular shape, and they aren't glued together.

12. dvilla76

dvilla76 Member

13. old goat

old goat Member

Actually a guitar is better off in a garage in San Diego than in a heated room in the East in winter, where the humidity gets super low, compared to the humid summers. San Diego humidity doesn't vary that much with the seasons or between indoor and out. Other than causing tuning problems the cold won't damage the guitar per se, although manufacturers do recommend letting a guitar sit in the case for a while when going from cold to hot or visa versa--to avoid sudden severe changes in temperature. What is the temperature of an airplane cargo hold or a semi truck going cross country in winter? The biggest concern is heat, which will melt the glue.

14. vbf

vbf Supporting Member

I never liked having my guitars in guitar stands, expect during a gig. When not in use I keep my guitars in their cases.

15. VaughnC

VaughnC Supporting Member

Back in the day, our guitars would go from Pennsylvania winter sub 0 degree car trunks to musty bars and vice versa and many of those old guitars are still going strong. Might see a few finish cracks but those guitars had character after a year of gigging ;).

Mosher Zone likes this.
  16. DrumBob

DrumBob Gold Supporting Member

Exactly right. Your guitars are going to get messed up leaving them in 40 degree weather. Warped necks, buzzing frets, etc. Mine are in a constant 67 degrees, and the more finicky ones, like the Rick 12 string, stay in their cases with humistats. And the necks still go out as the seasons change. I've learned to do neck adjustments.

17. Auriemma

Auriemma Member

Simply put. DON'T DO IT!

18. Rotten

Rotten Silver Supporting Member

Thanks everyone. I won't do it. I find myself playing more if I have them out of the case. I also find that switching up guitars leads me in new directions. However, I think my wife, even though she would never say it, is getting a tad annoyed at having my guitars lying around the house. Still, 2-3 ought to do the trick and I'll put the others away, indoors, in their cases.

19. SW33THAND5

SW33THAND5 Member

leave them in their cases in a closet.... in the house

20. semi-hollowbody

semi-hollowbody Member

I live in Michigan...40 degrees is NOT winter, its spring...;)

Your guitars are better off too cold than too warm...if the garage is DAMP, that can cause problems with the electronics and oxidation, but basements do that as well

I ASSUME you bring them in to play...if so, just let it warm up to room temp before you play