1. A proposal is now up as a poll to change the guidelines of TGP to only allow member self-deleting of post/threads for up to thirty days of the original posting it. We are now watching the poll here. Click here to view the thread.

Dismiss Notice

Leaving guitars in the car

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by mannish, May 19, 2011.

1. mannish

mannish Member

I have gigs that do not make sense drive home first so I take my equipment with me when I come to work. I REFUSE to leave guitars in my car if it any close being hot outdoors.

Do you guys have a problem leaving your guitar in the car for 7 or so hours -

I saw one guy do it with an acoustic he said he's never had a problem

I just don't think it's a good idea to leave your guitar in the car for more than an hour or so

Your thoughts

2. jpervin

jpervin Supporting Member

It's not a good idea if 1) it's hot outside; 2) it's cold outside; 3) if there's even a remote chance that your vehicle could be broken into and your guitar stolen out of it. That's my take on it.

YMMV

3. Goethe

Goethe Member

Don't. Unless it's a Parker Fly or a composite acoustic, you're asking for trouble.

4. kelvinator60

kelvinator60 Member

+100000 on all these points

5. Selsaral

Selsaral Member

I often bring my gear to work when I have band practice after work. I put the amp and pedalboard and stuff in the trunk so passerbys can't see it, and I always, always, always bring the guitars into the office with me.

6. IPLAYLOUD

IPLAYLOUD Member

Never. I bring it into the Diner with me after a gig.
    Heard of too many stolen, even if covered. Local guy lost a Jazz Bass recently after a gig. He put it in the car to go watch the next band.

7. phisher422

phisher422 Member

My SG is sitting next to me in my office right now. I have band practice right after work. I would never leave my guitar in the car under any circumstances......

8. IPLAYLOUD

IPLAYLOUD Member

Story from 1983:
    After a gig, my brother offered to take my '63 SG Special home (factory Bigsby).
    He parked in the driveway, went to bed, and realised he had left the guitar in the car. Knowing I would never leave it outside overnight, he got out of bed (kind of crawled) and got it. Tommy had a few drinks, so this was not an "easy" thing to do, especially after laying down. You "may" know the feeling. ;-)

He went out the next morning and the car, a 1971 442 Convertible, was gone.

It was found 2 days later, 25 miles away, with the top ripped off, the tires worn to shreds, no gas in the tank, and the clutch destroyed. They beat the living hell out of it. Sideswiped a car, too.
    For sure the Guitar would not have been left in the backseat had he not gone back outside to get it.

(Back story: He fixed it up, kept it for many years, and sold it for a good amount to help buy a house)

9. mannish

mannish Member

That's what I thought - I just never do it and never have.

10. BluesForDan

BluesForDan Member

pretty much the only times I've left a guitar in the car is when I got home, had to go in quick to use the can, got sidetracked and forgotten to go get it before the next morning. I really hate leaving it in the car, would be just my luck that it would be the day some lowlife crack head or tweaker decides to free me of some personal property from my vehicle.

11. /13guitarman

/13guitarman Member

Lent a Hamer to a freind of mine. I went to pick it up and he had it in his trunk for over 2 weeks. That's the last time I will ever let anyone use my gear, period, not cool to leave your guitar stored in cars!! Common sense can tell you that.

12. hclapp219

hclapp219 Member

Treat it like a pet. Would you leave your dog in your car for seven hours?

13. Agitator

Agitator Member

One time I got home from a gig so exhausted that I left my bass head sitting on my porch overnight. It was even standing upright in its road case (i.e. vertical) so it was really, really obvious. Fortunately, I live in a good neighborhood (knock wood) and it was still there in the morning. As for guitars, agree with everyone here... don't leave it if there's any chance of a temperature change or a break-in.

I'll leave it in the car if I'm going into a restaurant to eat, but if it's late at night I'll park where I can see the car from inside.

14. jd400

jd400 Member

My local Martin dealer/luthier tells me to never leave my guitars anywhere I wouldn't leave a baby.

The pet comment follows this.

The possible theft is a concern, of course, but the extreme temperatures, hot or cold, is more than I want to inflict on any of my guitars.

15. GCDEF

GCDEF Supporting Member

I'll leave them in the car in the garage sometimes, but never outside if I'm going to be playing it soon. Tuning goes haywire if you try to play when the guitar is heating up or cooling down.

16. nocoJack

nocoJack Member

The car is for transporting back and forth... not storage. When loading in and out, we always have a "car watch" who just makes sure no one runs off with anything.

17. Reyybarra

Reyybarra Supporting Member

I do if it's after a gig or after church and 1. Know it's not going to be in there for more than 1-1.5 hours (live in south Texas things get HOT) and 2. I can see the car from my table. Otherwise I've been known to annoy lots of people waiting 20-30 min for a prime parking spot or backing up close to a wall so no one can access back...

18. russintexas

russintexas Member

It depends on the guitar. For my archtops and my les paul, they won't stay in the car. I have a few beater guitars that I keep specifically for lesson days, and as long as the temp doesn't go over 80 I'll just leave it in the trunk.

19. Bobby D

Bobby D Member

i don't EVER leave guitars in the car. :mob

20. spookyelectric

spookyelectric Supporting Member

nope, sorry, you're only 1 person, so you can only +1. ;)