• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Leaving song off setlist due to subject matter

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dave Shoop

Been doing a Springsteen tribute for 12 years. There is a high energy song that also gives our talented guitarist a chance to play and until the last year or so I put it on the set list quite often.

We do mostly community outdoor venue type gigs and not bars so the crowds are a broad demographic. Children to Grandparents. Our next show will be a few thousand people in the center of town.

With the very high violent crime rate we are experiencing I feel uncomfortable putting a song that might in anyway glorify violence.

The song is Murder Incorporated.

Would you hesitate to put a song on a set list that was a powerful rocker and allows the guitarist to stretch out if you felt the lyrics might not be appropriate especially now.

I kinda wanna do the song but is it tasteless in todays environment ? I kinda think I'm being too conservative but am I ?

Suave Eddie

Been doing a Springsteen tribute for 12 years. There is a high energy song that also gives our talented guitarist a chance to play and until the last year or so I put it on the set list quite often.

We do mostly community outdoor venue type gigs and not bars so the crowds are a broad demographic. Children to Grandparents. Our next show will be a few thousand people in the center of town.

With the very high violent crime rate we are experiencing I feel uncomfortable putting a song that might in anyway glorify violence.

The song is Murder Incorporated.

Would you hesitate to put a song on a set list that was a powerful rocker and allows the guitarist to stretch out if you felt the lyrics might not be appropriate especially now.

I kinda wanna do the song but is it tasteless in todays environment ? I kinda think I'm being too conservative but am I ?
I wasn't familiar with the song so I looked up the lyrics.
I don't see it as glorifying violence.

BlueWolf

Platinum Supporting Member
I don’t think Murder Incorporated glorifies violence. Quite the contrary, I think it is lamenting violence. Having said that, though, I don‘t think it‘s a good choice for the venues you described. I don’t think you’re being too conservative. I think you‘re just being responsible, which is refreshing in this day and age.

Last edited:

Dontchaknow

Silver Supporting Member
I'm the least PC person in the world but my band decided to stop doing Hey Joe and i was fine with it. You're there to entertain and if you think people may find a song objectionable, there are plenty of other songs, especially covers. Of course it could be argued that creates a slippery slope where we wind up with censorship and cancel culture. Listen to your gut. Originals might be a different conversation and an interesting tangent.

Last edited:

utterhack

I wouldn't recommend this one more bc it's a bit obscure and not necessarily a crowd pleaser.

But if the only concern is playing this song in the context of a very high violent crime rate I have some good news:

Dave Shoop

I wouldn't recommend this one more bc it's a bit obscure and not necessarily a crowd pleaser.

But if the only concern is playing this song in the context of a very high violent crime rate I have some good news:

November is not current data but that discussion goes about as well as COVID threads so that’s all I’ll say.

Part of me looks at it like a song is just like a TV show or movie and the subject is acceptable.

The other side of my brain says I don’t even want to be screaming the word Murder over the PA

Appreciate replies. I’ll work it out but just wondered if I was in a minority to even think about this.

Reactions: AFW

Franklin

Gold Supporting Member
That song isn't glorifying violence.

Also, are you the guy singing Born In The USA because you thought it was patriotic?
I played in a few bands that played Mellencamp's Pink Houses and very surprised at how many people are clueless that it's an anti-American song. I've explained how it's about the American dream being a farce.

"This one has been misconstrued over the years because of the chorus – it sounds very rah-rah. But it’s really an anti-American song. The American dream has pretty much proven itself as not working anymore.” - John Mellencamp (223)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom