Leaving speakers in cold garage?

smv929

Does it hurt the cone or any part of the speaker if you leave it in a cold garage? The temperature has varied around 10 to 20 degrees here (KY). It's not a damp garage (as far as I can tell). I usually bring everything in, but I had to leave out this heavy 4x12 old mesa cab, the one with two EVM-12Ls and two Black Shadows or whatever. And the casters are toast! Anyway, it's a pain to get it up the garage stairs by yourself.

My assumption is that it's ok as long as humidity is low and you let it warm to room temperature before playing. Anyone know anything about this? Thanks in advance.

johnny q

I was wondering the EXACT same thing, as I have had many of my cabs in the garage since the summer and now its below freezing. Let's here from the amp gurus!!

Ben Jam'n

I've never had a problem with the speakers in my car...I figure it's OK for my guitar speakers as well.

bettset

i know a guy who had several early 70's twins in his barn--for several years not played. dusty, straw, bird s**t. cleaned them up & they played fine. he used them clean--no drive pedals. not recommended, but who really knows. they were jbl's too. :munch

Boosted

My mom had a glass top for the her table that was next to the window.We got an unexpected cold snap here in the pnw, and the glass broke during that time. Since we don't have heat in our house when we're not there, it was pretty chilly...

just sayin... haha

Marble

My mom had a glass top for the her table that was next to the window.We got an unexpected cold snap here in the pnw, and the glass broke during that time. Since we don't have heat in our house when we're not there, it was pretty chilly...
that's wack

Muzzy

Silver Supporting Member
Speakers sit in cold warehouses all over the place. We always left our equiptment in cold trailers or vans between gigs in the winters and never had any problems and it's often below 0 at night around here.

smolder

Platinum Supporting Member
well... they are paper cones. So the larger issue would be with moisture, freezing or molding.

art_z

Gold Supporting Member
I keep my Orange 4x12 in my garage to take to gigs so I don't have to lug it up the stairs. It gets about high 30s in the garage. never had an issue. I of course let it warm first before slamming 100+ watts into it.

rob2001

Even if I don't think it causes problems, I still like to let them warm up before I start wailing on them.

Trending Topics