Leaving the family business today.

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by xrleroyx, Feb 4, 2015.

1. xrleroyx

xrleroyx Member

We have a financial firm my dad started. This industry just isn't for me. I have a couple other job offers I've been entertaining and it's just more lucrative for me to take them.

Pops indicated previously that if I'm not enamoured with industry, he'd support me looking elsewhere. I don't want to crush the guy though. Dads of TGP, how should I break the news?

2. mark norwine

mark norwine Member

IMO, what your dad wants is a.) you to be happy and b.) you to be honest. Honest with him, and more importantly, honest with yourself.

If you have to go, you have to go. He'll understand. In fact, he'll quite likely think more of you for wanting to chart your own course.

As a father myself, I know that's how I'd feel, anyway....

3. UOHavana

UOHavana Member

In hindsight you may have wanted to start this dialog a while ago. If it was my dad, I would just find him and tell him. He should be able to see this coming.

4. xrleroyx

xrleroyx Member

He's in the office next to me. I think it's going to go over well. I'm pretty young and just starting off in this business. Just wanted to get some opinions going. Dialogue has started awhile ago.

Making this choice based on 2 factors:
    I really don't see myself in this industry
    I have medical expenses that require large sums of money I don't have right now. Straight commission job. Not paying my bills and I need better insurance.

5. Crowder

Crowder Dang Twangler Silver Supporting Member

I've been a financial advisor pretty much my entire career so far (I'm 46). It can be a great business, but if it isn't for you, it just isn't for you. If your dad has been around a while he will realize that. There's a good chance he's only keeping you around because he thinks he's helping you instead of the other way around.

6. xrleroyx

xrleroyx Member

That is exactly what he's doing. I'm extremely grateful of what he's done for me which is why I want to make sure I'm tactful in my departure.

We're an independent firm, so that means 12 hour days of cold calling for young guys like me without an established book. I don't think this is for me at this time. I've been doing sales for awhile now (mortgages, now being an advisor) and I'm decent at it.

7. DGTCrazy

DGTCrazy Moderator de Emporio Staff Member

Just be honest. You're lucky to have a dad where you can be....trust me.

8. fretnot

fretnot Gold Supporting Member

I would just email him a link to this thread. :D

In all seriousness, you live once, do what makes YOU happy, first and foremost. He'll understand. Good luck.

9. westex

westex Disgruntled Optimist Silver Supporting Member

This. I have three kids and they are as diverse as can be. All proud that they chart their own course, and if you have medical costs that another firm will pay it's a no brainer.

10. xrleroyx

xrleroyx Member

For those who were interested:

It went well. I'm going to help him out at the office as an assistant until I find a new job. I think this worked out for everyone.