Leaving the flint behind.

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by nicbrant, Jan 17, 2016.

1. nicbrant

nicbrant Member

So for the last 2-3 years The flint has been a staple in my sound. I love the reverbs and the trem so much. Very easy to use and dial in.

I wanted to kind of challenge myself to get a little more creative and not use the flint anymore. So I replaced the trem side with a tap a whirl. That thing is crazy and has so much to it I can't even imagine it ever getting old. Needless to say I'm really happy with it so far.

The reverb side is another story. For the most part I used the 80s verb on the flint. It was great sounding and if I wanted some great long decay it was super easy to dial in. So I've been playing through a ton of verbs to hopefully find a replacement. (I still have two I'm waiting on. The Caroline meteore and adventure whateverb)

Is there any others out there that just loved the flint so much but replaced it with something else? If so what are you loving now?

2. guiltless

guiltless Member

I replaced the Flint with a Neunaber Slate + EXP. To be fair, I always had a Stereo Wet and Flint together. But with the Slate/Exp combo, I simply don't need the reverb side of the flint anymore.

witafro2 likes this.
  3. jsytsma

jsytsma Member

I have never been able to get as satisfying of a reverb sound as the 80s on the Flint. I've owned two. And guaranteed if I sold it (as I'm contemplating because of the Canadian dollar being so bad) I'd likely buy it again at some point again

NHBluesMan and nkt275 like this.
  4. Flatscan

Flatscan Supporting Member

I sold the TAW and kept my Flint. The TAW sounds very flat to me. I appreciate that it has lots of options.

The Hermida Reverb 3 is a great sounding, simple Reverb pedal. It looks like Sean just put it back on the Lovepedal website.

Here is a faithful demo:

I'm interested in the latest model of the VFE Old School Trem. The "starved circuit" and envelope features sound very cool.

5. David B

David B Silver Supporting Member

We have a Flint at the shop, and feel much the same as you about it, that said, we just got a Polara and are really knocked out by it too. I'd have no reservations about having the Polara on my board. While I'm at it, the Ventura also is really good for my Leslie and Univibe sounds.

Tom Von Kramm likes this.
  6. Mr Analog

Mr Analog Member

I replaced the Flint with a Boss TR-2 and an RV-6.

The TR-2 can't do the "harmonic" tremolo thing at all, but it can get close enough to the tube and photo shapes. It's a great sounding tremolo now that Boss fixed the volume drop issue (years ago actually). I wouldn't call it "underrated" since everyone raves about them but it's an easy pedal to forget when you've been in the market for high end stuff like Strymon.

So I would say the TR-2 is an "entirely adequate" replacement for the tremolo side of the Flint but not better in any way except for price and power consumption. The RV-6, on the other hand, is working a lot better for me than the Flint. The RV-6 has a much wider range of sounds and it seems to work better in front of a guitar amp. The Flint reverbs were a little too warm and laid back for my taste. I'm not sure exactly how to explain it, but it's like the Flint sounds too "natural" and I'm looking for a more obvious reverb "effect". It's easy to dial in huge, over the top washes and other-worldly sounds on the RV-6 as well as basic room sounds. On the other hand, the RV-6's spring reverb is nearly useless while the Flint has the best spring emulation I've ever heard.

To be clear, the Flint is an awesome, top-notch pedal. It just sounds a bit too much like a studio-grade processor and I wanted something that sounds like a guitar effect, if that makes any sense. So far I'm not missing the Flint and I'm very happy with my "cheap" Boss replacements.

MBT74 and ejoco like this.
  7. blackba

blackba Supporting Member

So what made you think to replace the flint in the first place? Was it a money thing or something else?

8. codetocontra

codetocontra Member

Flint has tremolo, and stereo outs, yet no panning.:facepalm
    lolz

0xeneye and dickjonesify like this.
  9. dickjonesify

dickjonesify Member

Neunaber has a stereo panning, tap tempo trem and it's delicious

guiltless likes this.
  10. jamester

jamester Silver Supporting Member

I think the Flint's Harmonic Trem and Spring modes warrant keeping it in the mix for classic tones from a not-so-typical angle.

11. DakotaRed

DakotaRed Member

I love the Flint but recently replaced mine with a Rockett Boing. I just sat them side by side for a week or two and waited to see which one I'd use daily. The Boing won.

I'm sure you all think I'm a nutjob for that, but I'm happy.

I didn't bother replacing the tremolo; everything I play with tremolo ends up sounding like "Born on the Bayou". User error, of course...

Dunzie likes this.
  12. DecoWaves

DecoWaves Silver Supporting Member

I have the Flint ... recently added it to my board. Just played out at a local art festival today and it just sounds great. Best of all, it is simplistic in dialing-in just the right amount of reverb and trem when needed. I use an old expression pedal I have to control depth on the fly. At home, I can venture into space on the Plate and Halls -- not crazy far out -- but enough to have fun.

To the OP original question though, check out the Keeley Aurora. It can do very natural organic reverbs like the flint but can then go a bit more deep space if you want. The plate reverbs with no dampening on full depth almost has crystal-like reflections. It does not have Spring but the Hall and Room are excellent. If you turn down the depth on the Room, you can get some slapback spring feeling.

I can appreciate the sentiment of wanting to explore and working through challenges -- any exercise that has us play more and learn should make us better musicians. That said, I also appreciate having the right tools to get the job done - not to distract us or get in the way. The grass is always greener on the other side ...

Last edited: Jan 17, 2016
  13. Mr Analog

Mr Analog Member

Good question. It was mainly just the desire to try something new. That, and I never really fell in love with the Flint's reverb sound. The detail and quality of the models is ridiculously good but there's something overly "warm" or "organic" about them for my taste. It's really hard to explain (and even harder to criticize). By comparison, I prefer the Blue Sky, and yet I would describe it as more "synthetic" sounding than the Flint. I would probably prefer the Flint as a general-purpose reverb in the studio, but on a guitar into the front of an amp I'm looking for something a little more raw and cutting.

I had also purchased a DD-500 after being disappointed with the Dig, and that made me want to try the RV-6. So I don't have any real criticisms of the Flint. I was using a lot of Strymon pedals and wanted to try the new Boss stuff since it seemed like they were stepping up their game.

14. nicbrant

nicbrant Member

I just wanted to challenge myself a little. I'm not so much worried about the trem part. Like I said I have the tap a whirl and am getting ready to try out the spaceman voyager. It's more the reverb that I was trying to replace.

15. nicbrant

nicbrant Member

I havent gotten to play the keeley aurora in my reverb search. It has been on my want to try list. I did try his Caverns delay and verb. I liked it but it didn't really blow me away on the reverb or delay side.

16. Prince

Prince Supporting Member

I recently got the Keeley Aurora and compared it with my Flint (and HoF & M9). I think the Aurora is even more "natural/organic" sounding than the Flint. The Flint is considerably "warmer" than the Aurora, as the Aurora is actually pretty bright (but in a good way). The Plate on the Aurora is killer and sounds even more metallic-y/shiny/"accurate" than I think the Flint does. I mean, I love the Flint Plate, it is stellar, but it's a more mellow, soft, and way darker sound than the Aurora. The Aurora is just quality overall. The Room reverb is the best Room I've ever played, perfect for tone-filler/subtle space enhancer. The Hall is good, but basically just a lighter (less dense)/airier/brighter version of the Room. But the Flint's 80's Hall (esp when maxed) is hard to beat. Ambient heaven!

I love my Flint and it ain't going no where, mainly because of the 2in1 quality of killer verbs+killer trems. But my next plan is to get a Slate+Exp and use the Neunaber for my more "effect-y" verbs & the Flint for my more natural/subtle/always on verbs. I barely use the Spring on the Flint, unless it is paired with a Tremolo for that old school amp style.

The Red Panda Context is another one I keep considering. It seems like it does a good job of blending "natural" & "effect-y" verbs.

17. witafro2

witafro2 Member

I replaced my flint with a neunaber slate v2 with Exp controller which I was super happy with but it is currently on it's way out to be replaced by an RV-5 I simply wanted to simplify my rig, loved the reverbs and trems on the flint and the reverbs and trems on the slate though

18. DecoWaves

DecoWaves Silver Supporting Member

When I first got the Flint, the Spring reverb really caught me off guard -- I had a very hard time dialing it in; trying to make the 'Spring Reaction' in the trails to be a bit more subdued. It frustrated me a bit as I liked everything else about the pedal. I was also replacing the EQD Ghost Echo which had been on my board for almost a year but only offered Spring-insipred verbs. What I came to realize is that the Flint feels and sounds like a much more authentic spring tank -- to the point that it responds more authentically to dynamics of my play. Not taking away from the Ghost Echo, if I could best describe it, the Ghost Echo focused more on the resulting simulated depths and tones of a spring reverb and less on the reaction one would here from the springs themselves. So ... it took me a week or so but I have have learned 1) how to dial in some fantastic Spring Sounds and 2) how to play dynamically to either emphasize or let the springs sit back a bit.

Honestly, the key for me was to simply dial back the mix ... I was paying too much attention to all of the online demos and suggested settings where people had the mix dialed up past 12pm on the dial. I keep my around 10pm. I also learned to understand how the mix, depth, and tone knobs interact with each other. Yes, they work as one would expect but in the spring setting on the Flint, when you dial down the mix a bit, adjusting the depth can almost simulate a small-room space, and then the tone -- kept mild -- will subdue the spring trails.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2016
  19. crxshdxmmy

crxshdxmmy Member

This plan has mistake written all over it.

bastian, nicbrant, Holzar88 and 3 others like this.
  20. tanee

tanee Member

Let's be honest here. Maybe you sold your flint but I bet you are borrowing a buddy's flint because nothing will ever replace it. ;)

I really have no other input for you. Maybe check out some rack gear?