Led Zep would have been much better if....

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by Lester Alvarez, Feb 4, 2020.

1. Larry Mal

Larry Mal Member

At least I'll be able to enjoy Star Wars with the innocence of youth again since it seems to be 1978 and I won't have to know how awful Star Wars will become later. Forever young, courtesy of the Gear Page.

2. TP Parter

TP Parter Member

This thread would be much better off if it never happened.

That aside, no. Rodgers is not a better fit. Nothing back then stomped, screamed, wailed,.and moaned like the mighty Zeppelin, hell nothing else has since though many have tried. The Who and Sabbath come close, but the swagger of those 2 front men with the ferocity of Bonham and Jones' rock solid groove is an iconic confluence.

It's like saying you could replace Page with Hendrix, Barre, Townshend or Blackmore. No, no you could not.

MaxSustaine, DV52, MrX and 1 other person like this.
  3. Guitarworks

Guitarworks Member

Riiiight. And Queen was better with Paul Rodgers too, right? Zep was best with those four guys. Queen was best with those four guys. PR has his style and his own thing goin' on, which worked/works well in a number of projects. But there is no substituting Rodgers for Plant or Rodgers for Mercury. Rodgers is his own act.

JiveTurkey and shane8 like this.
  4. Funky54

Funky54 Member

Fail

FFOGG and Matt Dillon like this.
  5. Larry Mal

Larry Mal Member

I hope I can stay up late enough to catch the thread about how the Monkees don't play their own instruments and that's lame.

John Quinn and Billy Van Beck like this.
  6. forgivenman

forgivenman Member

If they had released more live albums

7. Teh RedWizard

Teh RedWizard Supporting Member

:eek::eek::eek:

8. Slapshot1977

Slapshot1977 Member

If Page played an R9 I think Zep would have been way better.

Bobbybigbucks, John Quinn and shane8 like this.
  9. Funky54

Funky54 Member

Isn't there a Billie Elish thread somewhere that you can go defend? Maybe a gluten thread or kemper...

10. fenderlead

fenderlead Member

If they had better lyrics.

uab9253, FFOGG and shane8 like this.
  11. Kurt L

Kurt L Member

Nice... :spit

If you stay up really late you can watch the Midnight Special!

Billy Van Beck likes this.
  12. joebloggs13

joebloggs13 Member

Ah, I see. Well, the way I see it, Plant had no deficiencies back then. He was a rock God. :dude

BADHAK likes this.
  13. Jim Jones

Jim Jones Member

I love Paul Rodgers, probably my favourite singer! When I was a teen Led Zeppelin was my favourite band. But stick Paul in Zep and it’s no longer Zep. Even Jimmy Page was a bit taken aback in the Firm days by how much Paul wanted to “stick to the script.” He’s not an improviser like those guys were.

And there wouldn’t be any Tolkien songs...

FFOGG likes this.
  14. MRCHEVY

MRCHEVY Member

What made Led Zeppelin so great was the magic of how they could read and feed off each other in their jams. Listen to "Dazed and Confused" on The Song Remains The Same album. This is a perfect example of the chemistry they had that few bands ever did. Yes, many bands were tight, melodic, and very musically talented in their own right, but LZ had something special.

If you listen closely to Dazed and Confused (live version), Jimmy Pages playing is actually somewhat sloppy, yet melodic and he never hits a bad note. Robert Plants voice is not methodical, yet it is musical, soulful, and mystical. John Bonham's drumming is anything but mechanical. Its almost as if there is music, not beats, coming from his drums. Jonesy pulls it together filling in the spaces. They don't just play together, they speak to each other musically, leading each other along in this song that is constantly going in different directions, yet traveling thru the song as one.

I find it amazing in this song how much they seem to be so in tune with each other. I have had only 2 separate experiences in my life where I ended up at a jam that seemed to be at a whole other level way beyond anything I had done before or after those jams. Both times were with musicians I had never met before. One was with a drummer and bass player and we just hooked up and jammed at an apartments club house for an evening. These guys were better than anyone I had ever played with before, and somehow they seemed to bring out things in my playing I didn't know I had. It was very uplifting and made me realize that how good you are depends on the people you play with. They must inspire you.

My second experience was with some guys in a garage one night. We jammed non stop for about an hour. It was a jam much like the dazed and confused, we brought it up, down, took turns with solos, switched back and forth as to who lead were the song went. It was an amazing experience.

Could Robert Plant be replaced in Led Zepplin....... and unequivocal NO. Just my long 2 cents worth.

MaxSustaine, uab9253, MrX and 6 others like this.
  15. BADHAK

BADHAK Member

Can't tell if serious

16. WayneM

WayneM Member

Bad Zeppelin ????

MaxSustaine and JiveTurkey like this.
  17. datguytim

datguytim Member

OP - you're either trolling, or just plain demented. Paul is a great vocalist, but have you ever heard of a word called CHEMISTRY?!? THAT is why Free, & Bad Company sounded SO damn great, AND why Led Zep sounded so damn great. There is NO WAY to substitute one for the other. Ever hear Paul sing with Queen?!? TRAINWRECK!!!!!!!!

2pods, JiveTurkey and Salt Lake Bob like this.
  18. twotone

twotone Member

To my ears, Robert Plant has a limited vocal range. When he tries to hit some of the high notes he goes into falsetto. But that's his style and one of the things that set Led Zeppelin apart from other heavy rock bands in the early 1970s.

19. Jaguar

Jaguar Member

Plant now is... 79!? ... still sounds like a God (and I'm not even a Led Zep fan). Man... don't even go there... If Bonham could hit some drums .. maybe it would be better.. ;-)