• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Led Zeppelin - Greta Van Fleet: A Poll

Led Zeppelin and Greta Van Fleet - Do you:

• Love Zeppelin and GVF

Votes: 125 32.4%
  • Love Zeppelin and dislike GVF

Votes: 108 28.0%
  • Dislike Zeppelin and love GVF

Votes: 3 0.8%
  • Dislike both Zeppelin and GVF

Votes: 25 6.5%
  • Not another GVF thread!

Votes: 125 32.4%

• Total voters

EricPeterson

The more I listen to GVF I think that there are a few issues, if they were just some dudes you found organically, like caught them at a local club I think that you would dig them. If they are being pushed as "saviors of rock" well that is so hyperbolic it works to their disadvantage, they can't (nor can anyone really) live up to that, at least not yet. Honestly drop a different singer in there, or if he had a more unique voice I think it would be held in a lot higher regard. Watching live clips the band is tight, and also gets that loose feel, that really gives that throwback feel.

I like it for what it is, it is not saving anything, just some cool rock tunes that have a throwback feel, and sort of have the quality of Zeppelin throw away tracks (that is not a bad thing).

Reactions: BUK

mrbluetone

Fast forward to 2050 the lead singer and guitar player will have fallen out of sorts a bit of family feud and the lead singer will find a country/americana female singer who is 20 and together they will sing soft/rock country tunes and win a grammy and earn a track on Jurassic Ultimate Universe movie.

zep41

GenX pride dander raised....You know, I just watched this video:

And I'm just like, my god that's...not awful but not good. It's just...I freaking can't stand these copycats being called "saviors of rock" or whatever. They're a bunch of kids who are probably cool, and are making a career of aping zeppelin. And if I hear one more baby boomer say "their just kids, jealous much?" I'm going to burst.

Here's what cats from MY generation where doing at twenty years old..taking the Zep blueprint and driving it with a busload of originality and art into something new and dangerous...

Greta van fleet...get the f outta here. It's the last gasp of boomer record execs pushing lame memories of their youth onto the world and calling it "saving rock".

GenX saved rock and the boomers could care less because they were making coin off of pop idols and hip hop at the time.
I really can't tell if the vocalist is serious or not. I mean, I obviously know he is --- but just hearing/seeing him you can't really tell. It feels too much like he just got out of the shower and is goofing around singing into a mirror.

In my opinion, they are on the very very top of the surface just like Zeppelin I (as Plant quoted weeks ago).

But just on the surface. I get this feeling that underneath there isn't a whole lot there with GVF. Maybe I'm wrong but the only way to know is with time, when we see what they can do with some creativity and originality. Their songs are too bland in my opinion.

reyleon

I really can't tell if the vocalist is serious or not. I mean, I obviously know he is --- but just hearing/seeing him you can't really tell. It feels too much like he just got out of the shower and is goofing around singing into a mirror.

In my opinion, they are on the very very top of the surface just like Zeppelin I (as Plant quoted weeks ago).

But just on the surface. I get this feeling that underneath there isn't a whole lot there with GVF. Maybe I'm wrong but the only way to know is with time, when we see what they can do with some creativity and originality. Their songs are too bland in my opinion.
That's the vibe I get too. Just watched their Coachella set on youtube and everything just seems so contrived. Like..it feels School of Rockish if that makes sense.

Hibrix

The singer just ruins that band for me. They could write a brilliant song but it’ll just be viewed as a zeppelin impersonation, but tbh that’s the main reason they are getting so much publicity.

jackson

....somwhat similar bands like Rival Sons and especially Big Wreck who are also somewhat Zeppelin inspired but much more creative and less one dimensional.
LZ.... one-dimensional? Are you kidding? From 'whole lotta love' to the 'rain song'? 'immigrant song' to 'stairway'? 'Kashmir', 'Going to California', 'Houses of the Holy'?

jackson

Apparently, there is a market for a band like GVF. They sound like LZ, but are nowhere near them in talent and originality. They're a decent enough band, but I think they are having success because they are new and they are young and cool, and that's enough. It's not that kids don't like LZ (mine do), they also like to have their own music, and it's slim pickings these days (for rock bands).

jackson

Reading is hard.
Writing is harder. Thr sentence says that Big Wreck are much more creative.... Now, if the writer used punctuation, it might change or clarify the intended meaning.

- ....somwhat similar bands like Rival Sons and especially Big Wreck who are also somewhat Zeppelin inspired but much more creative and less one dimensional.

Tiny Montgomery

Silver Supporting Member
Writing is harder. Thr sentence says that Big Wreck are much more creative.... Now, if the writer used punctuation, it might change or clarify the intended meaning.

- ....somwhat similar bands like Rival Sons and especially Big Wreck who are also somewhat Zeppelin inspired but much more creative and less one dimensional.
From context, it’s beyond obvious that he was comparing those bands to GVF, not Zeppelin. You appear to be the only one who didn’t get that. “Also” should have clued you in.

jackson

From context, it’s beyond obvious that he was comparing those bands to GVF, not Zeppelin. You appear to be the only one who didn’t get that. “Also” should have clued you in.
I see it now, after reading the whole thing. It's still a poorly written sentence.

CJReaper

I just heard them for the first time the other day, glad to see "the youngsters playing real music" but I do hope they develop their own sound at some point. Rush started off sounding a lot like LZ so fingers crossed. At least they can play and have some cool tones, but the singer does need to "find his own voice" no pun intended. ;)

DrumBob

Platinum Supporting Member
Former Zep fan. I was there at the Fillmore East the night they played their very first show in NYC, but over the years, I can no longer listen to them. Probably just burned out on the music.

I have listened to GVF and it's obvious who their influence is, but ya know what? If they can get kids back into rock 'n roll and away from Top 40 shite and hip-hop, more power to them. Personally speaking, I'm not rushing out to buy their CD.

Top Bottom