Led Zeppelin members face trial in ‘Stairway to Heaven’ copyright infringement lawsuit

Jon Silberman

10Q Jerry & Dickey
Silver Supporting Member
By Justin Wm. Moyer April 12 at 6:01 AM

Led Zeppelin’s “Stairway to Heaven” has faced a lot of accusations in the 45 years since it was released. It’s overplayed, some say, particularly at high volumes by dudes trying to impress other dudes at guitar shops. It’s overlong, say others. And, for years, people have said “Stairway” sounds a lot like “Taurus” — a song by a much less famous band called Spirit who performed it allegedly while sharing bills with Zeppelin in the late 1960s. (You can listen for yourself here.)

[Does Led Zeppelin owe Spirit a songwriting credit for ‘Stairway to Heaven’?]

But after decades of gossip, members of Led Zeppelin — specifically, singer Robert Plant and guitarist Jimmy Page, the writers of “Stairway” — will face a jury trial on May 10. The question: Did they copy at least some parts their most famous song?

“While it is true that a descending chromatic four-chord progression is a common convention that abounds in the music industry, the similarities here transcend this core structure,” U.S. District Judge Gary Klausner of the Central District of California wrote in a 20-page opinion denying, in part, Led Zeppelin’s motion for summary judgment. “For example, the descending bass line in both Taurus and Stairway to Heaven appears at the beginning of both songs, arguably the most recognizable and important segments. … Additionally, the descending bass line is played at the same pitch, repeated twice, and separated by a short bridge in both songs.” Citing another opinion, he added: “Enough similar protectable expression is here that the issue of substantial similarity should [proceed to the jury].”

For rest of article:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...ix-story-f-duplicate-duplicate:homepage/story

n9ne

I once wrote a song with a section that had a fairly straightforward arpeggiated i-vii-VI-vii sequence. I never did anything with it, but it was kinda cool.

A year or two after writing it, I heard the Rush song Losing It....and the middle of the song features a break that is virtually identical to the piece I wrote in my bedroom.

It is now apparent that I should have sued Geddy Lee, Alex Lifeson, and Neal Peart for plagiarism and infringement. I wonder if it's too late to claim back royalties?

Coldacre

utter rubbish.

Men At Work got sued for the same trivial nonsense.

no one would even know who "Taurus" is or whatever the band are called, if they didn't happen to have 5 ascending kick drums patterns similar. is that the law? sorry 6 descending notes.

utter rubbish.

Coldacre

Jimmy Page and Led Zeppelin stole a lot of songs and didn't credit the original writers.

Made millions doing it.
absolute rubbish. horse-****.

they made millions of dollars playing thousands of amazing gigs, improvising their bollocks off and writing incredible songs.

The Ocean
Over The Hills & Far Away
Good Times Bad Times
No Quarter
The Song Remains The Same
Black Dog
Going To California
What Is & What Should Never Be
Ramble On
Ten Years Gone
Kashmir

etc etc

I could go on and on and on about the killer songs they wrote, but no. keep beating the dead horse.

gmann

They are well known for plagiarizing stuff. Many lawsuits in the past and they've been forced to pay up. Give 'em their day in court, we'll see.

gmann

I once wrote a song with a section that had a fairly straightforward arpeggiated i-vii-VI-vii sequence. I never did anything with it, but it was kinda cool.

A year or two after writing it, I heard the Rush song Losing It....and the middle of the song features a break that is virtually identical to the piece I wrote in my bedroom.

It is now apparent that I should have sued Geddy Lee, Alex Lifeson, and Neal Peart for plagiarism and infringement. I wonder if it's too late to claim back royalties?
Did you copyright it?

Coldacre

The proof is in the past lawsuits they've lost. I see a trend. They wrote great stuff and apparently stole great stuff.
instead of posting a bunch of hot air... give us your opinion on "Taurus" and "Stairway to heaven". stop being some "social commentator" and observing what's happened before as some kind of truth to the case at hand... and actually say something.

Trending Topics