Led Zeppelin. Too good for their own good

Drowned Rabbit

Black Beauty Beats Burst
Agreed.

But you didn’t need to take a shot at Yngwie. He’s done well on his own.

I like him. I’m into the whole DnD power metal, which I always considered him an innovator of though people rarely speak of him as such. Yngwei it could be argued as another too good for his own good.

Jake E. Lynch

Songs matter. That’s why nobody makes a living off covering Yngwei. When you put out 4 records in a roll of nonstop awesomeness, maybe I’d hang my hat up too. Check this out, Zepellin done by one of my favorite singers.

I would still rather listen to Yngwie's early records along with a few others than hear most Zeppelin stuff. I used to worship Zeppelin in high school, but I think I just got burnt out on them. Classic rock stations are partially to blame because they ran a lot of their songs into the ground by playing the same songs at the same time every day. Zeppelin has some timeless songs like Achilles Last Stand though many songs now sound dated to me. Not as badly dated sounding as most Beatles songs, but still....

Drowned Rabbit

Black Beauty Beats Burst
Yeah, me too. Totally burnt out on their stuff. I never actually need to hear a Zep tune on the radio again, I can play it note for note in my head from memory. And, like I said, I actually like Yngwei. Still, my point was, when you produce so many classic tunes on one album, over and over, songs get overlooked which are deserving of attention simply because the massive hits bookending them on the record overshadow them. Thus, too good for their own good.
I would still rather listen to Yngwie's early records along with a few others than hear most Zeppelin stuff. I used to worship Zeppelin in high school, but I think I just got burnt out on them. Classic rock stations are partially to blame because they ran a lot of their songs into the ground by playing the same songs at the same time every day. Zeppelin has some timeless songs like Achilles Last Stand though many songs now sound dated to me. Not as badly dated sounding as most Beatles songs, but still....

iSeamas

I never totally understood how people can overlook the utter lack of meaningful lyrics in LZ songs.
Yeah, they are not all that good for the most part. Their saving grace is they aren't as all-out terrible as some other groups.
Hell, Pete Townshend is often cited as a great writer, but I wince at some of his forced rhymes. Then there is the entire Yes catalog.
I love Yes, but have NO clue what the fork Jon Anderson is singing about --unless I eat two big handfuls of 'shrooms.

BlueRiff

Yeah, they are not all that good for the most part. Their saving grace is they aren't as all-out terrible as some other groups.
Hell, Pete Townshend is often cited as a great writer, but I wince at some of his forced rhymes. Then there is the entire Yes catalog.
I love Yes, but have NO clue what the fork Jon Anderson is singing about --unless I eat two big handfuls of 'shrooms.
Townshend was no Dylan lyrically for sure, but I think his writing/arranging was more advanced at times than Zep. I think Yes’ composing chops were far above both Who and LZ, if not as radio friendly. I think LZ could swing the best of all three with its rhythm section. Bonham was more a pure drummer than Moon - with Moon being this kind of unusual lead drum player vs a time keeper in the pocket like Bonham.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom