Led Zeppelin. Too good for their own good

Drowned Rabbit

Black Beauty Beats Burst
Misspelling who’s name? If I misspelled someone’s name, it was completely unintentional. Who exactly is it you think I dislike? So far it’s been Yngwei, Zeppelin, and Chris Cornell. All artists I completely adore. I think there’s been some kind of miscommunication

so are you consistantly misspelling his name to further disrespect him for no reason?
kinda petty

Drowned Rabbit

Black Beauty Beats Burst
Agreed… reluctantly. I think you’re making a great case for people not realizing they’re making iconic stuff in the moment. A lot of those “making of”, “behind the music” things are filled with musicians looking almost bewildered by what part of their catalog gets the most attention. That Steely Dan tv doc about Aja comes to mind. Nevertheless, their lyrics are lacking. But, in the moment, all you knew was that you were in the greatest band in the world and you were wearing the blouse of a little girl. Seriously. Go watch The Song Remains The Same again. He’s wearing a child’s blouse.

I never totally understood how people can overlook the utter lack of meaningful lyrics in LZ songs. Thunderous rhythm, check. Wailing solos, check. Air of charismatic mystery, check. Inspiring lyrical message, not so much.

Drowned Rabbit

Black Beauty Beats Burst
So, I was unfamiliar with him. I looked him up on YouTube and I thought he was cool. Is he covering Yngwei or is he just strongly influenced by him? In any case, I liked it and wish him well

I mean, Joe Stump arguably makes a living off of covering Yngwie. But your point about Zeppelin stands :)

Drowned Rabbit

Black Beauty Beats Burst
True. Hard to argue with Ten Years Gone. I think what he meant was that, overall, their lyrics didn’t measure up to the god-like status their whole package bestowed upon them. I mean, think about it. A sloppy, if brilliant, junky guitarist, a drunken powerhouse drummer, a total pro like JPJ, and a very pretty white-boy Blues singer (and I say that with all respect. Plant’s solo stuff is undeniably killer). On their own you wouldn’t think twice.

You could only dream of writing a lyric like Ramble On, Immigrant Song, Black Dog, Over The Hills And Far Away, Ten Years Gone etc etc

Drowned Rabbit

Black Beauty Beats Burst
Ok, I had to laugh. I love Yes too, but you’re right. Even if I do eventually grog what the hell he’s going on about, is that the kind of weird hippie I would let in my house?

Yeah, they are not all that good for the most part. Their saving grace is they aren't as all-out terrible as some other groups.
Hell, Pete Townshend is often cited as a great writer, but I wince at some of his forced rhymes. Then there is the entire Yes catalog.
I love Yes, but have NO clue what the fork Jon Anderson is singing about --unless I eat two big handfuls of 'shrooms.

Drowned Rabbit

Black Beauty Beats Burst
Actually, no one thought Townshend could even play. They were simply amazed, and rightly so, of his ability to construct brilliant songs from nowhere. Only songwriters like Townshend. He’s why whenever you play in a band with a songwriter, it’s always extremely loud.

Townshend was no Dylan lyrically for sure, but I think his writing/arranging was more advanced at times than Zep. I think Yes’ composing chops were far above both Who and LZ, if not as radio friendly. I think LZ could swing the best of all three with its rhythm section. Bonham was more a pure drummer than Moon - with Moon being this kind of unusual lead drum player vs a time keeper in the pocket like Bonham.

jjaaam

I never totally understood how people can overlook the utter lack of meaningful lyrics in LZ songs. Thunderous rhythm, check. Wailing solos, check. Air of charismatic mystery, check. Inspiring lyrical message, not so much.
There are those of us that subscribe to the EVH theory regarding DLH: he reportedly never listened to the words anyways. Same here, but that’s JMHO.

Drowned Rabbit

Black Beauty Beats Burst
Fair enough. And they should’ve paid to begin with. But most of those old Blues songs were variations of riffs kicking around long before even Holwlin’ Wolf or Muddy stepped up to a mic. Those guys didn’t invent those lines.

Songs do matter. I think Zep were too good to have delved in some of the dubious songwriting practices they were known for.

Drowned Rabbit

Black Beauty Beats Burst
I totally believe you, yet, at the same time, Jamie’s Crying. Running With the Devil, I could go on. Maybe not Shakespeare but pretty good rock n’ roll

There are those of us that subscribe to the EVH theory regarding DLH: he reportedly never listened to the words anyways. Same here, but that’s JMHO.

Wms76

Silver Supporting Member
When it comes to classic bands like that. I will give a hard pass to most of Queen or Pink Floyd when it's on the radio, but for Zeppelin I listen every time.
even Fool in the Rain

i have exactly the opposite reaction, not that any of them are in my top 10. :YinYang :dunno

E2942

I love LZ so much that I bought that big 4-disc set twice:

1653228117956.png

Was I dreaming it, or did they release this once & then again later as Remasters?

exactly the opposite reaction,
Yet you opened a thread with Led Zeppelin in the title. Are you feeling alright?

Wms76

Silver Supporting Member
Yet you opened a thread with Led Zeppelin in the title. Are you feeling alright?
Fab gear. I didn’t say I hate them or reject them, I’m just not huge fan. Hope that helps! :knitting BTW, love the Robert Plant-Alison Krauss, my fave LZ.:cool:

Trending Topics

Top Bottom