Led Zeppelins second guitarist

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by NoQuarter, Jun 1, 2015.

1. NoQuarter

NoQuarter Member

I have read that Page considered a second guitarist at one point. They came to a determination that it would not look right to the fans who were used to seeing the four of them on stage. Who do you think (from that era of the early to mid 70's) would have been their choice and who would be your choice?

* please refrain from any plagiarism remarks, the argument is old and has nothing to do with this thread. Trolls stay away.

I would have loved to have seen Frampton as the second, but he was way too huge as an artist. I think he would have fit perfectly in every aspect. I have no idea who Page would have considered.

Last edited: Jun 1, 2015
    Keef Wichards likes this.
  2. darrylthumm

darrylthumm Member

Interesting, I have never heard about a second guitarist being considered. I wonder if Joe Jammer would have been considered. He was Page's tech and apparently a really good player in his own write. Peter Green set him up with a record deal, I think.

NoQuarter likes this.
  3. twinrider1

twinrider1 Member

I think it would have been someone only inside studio guys would have heard of. He'd just be there to bring all the album overdubs to the live stage. I'm glad they didn't because their live stuff is different enough that it's like a 2nd catalog of material. Both are great, but different.

Get The Led Out is a great tribute band that does just this. They use as many players as they need to play the studio versions. It's awesome. It's an interesting contrast to my other favorite Zep tribute band, Zoso, which nails the traditional live Zep sound.

4. Jamalot

Jamalot Member

Would you want someone like Frampton? Or someone who would stay the F out of the way with JPJ.
    It would be weird either way, but i think weirder w/a guitarist whose gonna be up there front line trading licks w/Page.
    ... Of course, if it were Hendrix ....

5. LadOfEastPoland

LadOfEastPoland Member

Cool! I didn't know that!
    I know though, that in their early days Led Zep looked up at this band. Robert Plant was extremely impressed. (my video promotion, yo)

6. goldentrout2009

goldentrout2009 Member

How about Clapton? He wasn't doing much around then. Two very different styles and I doubt Clapton would have liked being second fiddle but it might have been interesting.

7. Guitar Josh

Guitar Josh Resident Curmudgeon Silver Supporting Member

8. aiq

aiq Supporting Member

Just get Beck in there and call it the New Yardbirds.

Oh, wait...

9. rollyfoster

rollyfoster Supporting Member

Ron Wood. Party pal and can play.

JeffK likes this.
  10. NoQuarter

NoQuarter Member

11. mikebat

mikebat Member

JP would have wanted a guitar player to handle rhythms, to free JP to be the "color" man.

12. Yer Blues

Yer Blues Member

Perhaps they could have made a deal with the devil to clone JPJ.

swa and NoQuarter like this.
  13. supergenius365

supergenius365 Silver Supporting Member

Wood claims in his biography that they did ask him.

NoQuarter likes this.
  14. Guitar Josh

Guitar Josh Resident Curmudgeon Silver Supporting Member

That still puts me up 1 quote to your ZERO. A dead-on quote about the very subject material you claim is different, essentially positing that you know more than Page himself. And what is your point about quoting a 2008 interview about a band that hasn't released new material in almost 40 years? I mean, seriously man, come on. Feel free to prove me wrong if you have a better source than yourself.

The answer to the question in your OP is simple and final. Who would have Page considered after the band formed? According to himself, no one.

Last edited: Jun 1, 2015
  15. JRC4558Dude

JRC4558Dude Member

Not sure if it was ever really given serious consideration...

As I recall, Page was asked by an interviewer about the challenges of playing Zeppelin's later material onstage, with just one guitar player. Obviously, something like "Ten Years Gone" or "Achilles Last Stand" has a little more going on than "Immigrant Song" or "Communication Breakdown"

As the OP states, Page basically said that he had considered it, but felt it wouldn't "look right" on stage.

Apart from the visual aspect, I can't think who would have been a good fit. The chemistry in the band was so unique, I can't imagine another guitarist just stepping into that role.

Anyways, I always thought it was cool how Page approached it onstage. It's fun watching/listening to him try and cover all the bases when they did "Rock n Roll" (the short but distinctive fill that was overdubbed over the main riff), or the "Song Remains the Same" (playing parts of the guitar solos on the 12 string neck, to try and make it sound a little fuller).

NoQuarter likes this.
  16. pickaguitar

pickaguitar 2011 TGP Silver Medalist Silver Supporting Member

I think a time machine and Dimebag Darrell would have been cool

17. NoQuarter

NoQuarter Member

http://www.teachrock.org/resources/article/jimmy-page-the-trouser-press-interview/

Wow, ok. I guess the above link from 1977 doesn't count? Take it easy, I didn't make it up. Why you are turning this into a vibe that I just made a "your momma" joke to you is baffling. My point about a 2008 interview is that Pages memory is not the best and I'm sure he doesn't remember everything he says in an interview. And how am I sparking conflict or controversey? Seems to me that's what your doing. My choice of Frampton was hypothetical and was...my choice.

QUOTE="Guitar Josh, post: 20078866, member: 27072"]That still puts me up 1 quote to your ZERO. A dead-on quote about the very subject material you claim is different, essentially positing that you know more than Page himself. And what is your point about quoting a 2008 interview about a band that hasn't released new material in almost 40 years? I mean, seriously man, come on. Feel free to prove me wrong if you have a better source than yourself.

Trolling is deliberating using misinformation to spark conflict on a controversial topic, a point you recognize in your very OP when you reference plagiarism. And then you name FRAMPTON of all people a great guitarist to be sure but fits Zeppelin like a bonfire in a helium balloon.

The answer to the question in your OP is simple and final. Who would have Page considered after the band formed? According to himself, no one.[/QUOTE]

Keef Wichards likes this.
  18. 2HBStrat

2HBStrat Member

I feel sure that if Led Zeppelin were to decide to reunite with Jason Bonham and play some shows, no fans would be upset if the four piece band was augmented with other guitarists, keyboards, strings, or whatever, to create the sound that people know and love......no different tham what many bands (Steely Dan, Eagles, Doobie Bros) do these days.

19. Jamalot

Jamalot Member

For sure, now ... But we're talkin about picturing "The Song Remains The Same" movie with an extra dude throughout.